c6 zo6 vs. ford gt

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
HAHAHAH, those guys are so clueless...

Here is the deal if you ls1tech guys are reading this:

The Gt will smoke a c6 Zo6. The z06 will dyno around 430(Maybe) if it does make 500 at the crank as advertised....

The New Gt makes 560Rwhp and is bottled up from the factory.

Your vette will most likely trap around 118-119 with an excellent driver.
The GT traps in the 130+ range ,and it runs alongside ENZO's

You guys are trying to compare a sports car to a super car. THe GT has out powered, out handled, and out classed your best offering.

Dont get me wrong, I like the new vette alot, but if you run into a Gt on the road, just put your tail between your legs and hide, because you will get completely destroyed.

130 RWHP advantage = Corvette Destroyed bottom line. As for the price, of course it's more expensive, it looks better, it way faster, and is an homage to one of the greatest cars in history, the GT-40. It's an exotic, not a sports car.

so, please get your head out of your ass, and remember that a corvette is not god's gift to mankind. IT's fast, but not fast enough in this case.

Class dismissed :pop:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Yeah, everyone seems to forget that the GT is underated in hp from Ford, just like the Terminator. :thumbsup:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
03CobraConvert said:
ha, yeah, those guys need to get a life, the GT gets to 60 in 3.5 when their car gets there in 3.9. they need to learn, perhaps the HARD way...

Actually it's 0-60 in 3.3 according to Ford. :thumbsup:

SHOTIME2669

CSVT#49
Established Member
Well I'm new to the board, but not new to cars. I own both Chevy's and Fords so I'm not bias in anyway. Also I haven’t bothered reading the posts over at LS1tech, however judging from what I've read here so far I get the just of it.

My personal opinion on the matter is this... what they are trying to do is compare apples to oranges in a sense. The Z06 when it comes out will probably fair quite well... for its class. Frankly it’s in a class of its own as far as I'm concerned. I can't really think of a car that competes against it maybe a few Porsches. But they seem to be comparing the Ford GT to it, which is in the class of Dodge Viper's, Ferrari's, and Porsche Carrera GT's just to name a few. But to get back to the point a Corvette Z06 wouldn't compete against a Ford GT it wasn't designed to in my eyes. GM was shooting to compete in the market of people looking to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo or something similar, which would be in the price range of what a Z06 would cost.

On another note people who are looking to buy a Corvette Z06 probably couldn't afford to spend the money to get a Ford GT, or if they could they are probably long term enthusiasts of the Corvette and are sticking to tradition.

-Mike
Mechanical Engineer
94 ATX SHO
85 Camaro (w/69 SS 350)
98 Contour SE (working on SVT Conversion)
-coming soon Audi TT Quattro-

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
SHOTIME2669 said:
Well I'm new to the board, but not new to cars. I own both Chevy's and Fords so I'm not bias in anyway. Also I haven’t bothered reading the posts over at LS1tech, however judging from what I've read here so far I get the just of it.

My personal opinion on the matter is this... what they are trying to do is compare apples to oranges in a sense. The Z06 when it comes out will probably fair quite well... for its class. Frankly it’s in a class of its own as far as I'm concerned. I can't really think of a car that competes against it maybe a few Porsches. But they seem to be comparing the Ford GT to it, which is in the class of Dodge Viper's, Ferrari's, and Porsche Carrera GT's just to name a few. But to get back to the point a Corvette Z06 wouldn't compete against a Ford GT it wasn't designed to in my eyes. GM was shooting to compete in the market of people looking to buy a Porsche 911 Turbo or something similar, which would be in the price range of what a Z06 would cost.

On another note people who are looking to buy a Corvette Z06 probably couldn't afford to spend the money to get a Ford GT, or if they could they are probably long term enthusiasts of the Corvette and are sticking to tradition.

-Mike
Mechanical Engineer
94 ATX SHO
85 Camaro (w/69 SS 350)
98 Contour SE (working on SVT Conversion)
-coming soon Audi TT Quattro-

I agree with you. It's kinda like comparing an 03-04 Z06 to an 03-04 Cobra. It's apples to oranges, as the Terminator also does quite well (at least in a drag race). :thumbsup:

EvergreenSVT

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
The GT will for sure be faster in the strait line than the Z. I will bet however that their lap times will be very close. Wht ever you want to say about a vette being a dime-a-dozen, the old Z was a road coarse monster that turned similar lap times at the "ring" to cars with much more power and mid-engine configurtions. It will be much lighter and will have better brakes than the GT, which is an overlooked advantage in turning fast lap times.

It is pointless to internet argue over which is faster, especially when one is not even out yet.

The GT has Brembos front and rear--I think the C6 does too. I wouldn't give one of the other the advantage yet in braking.

The Z06 may have a 200 pound advantage, but thats not so big a deal. The GT has bigger tires, btw.

The other advantage the GT has? To reach its top speed of 205 mph (Z06 tops at 190) you use only five gears. The huge torque means the gears are spaced wider, and less shifts=faster times.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
EvergreenSVT said:
The other advantage the GT has? To reach its top speed of 205 mph (Z06 tops at 190) you use only five gears. The huge torque means the gears are spaced wider, and less shifts=faster times.

Almost all american sports cars achieve top speed in 5th. 6th gear is a double overdrive gear that is usually .50:1 in the T56. It is basically useless except for highway cruising and gas mileage. I can't even turn 6th gear to redline in my car

Mako

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Almost all american sports cars achieve top speed in 5th. 6th gear is a double overdrive gear that is usually .50:1 in the T56. It is basically useless except for highway cruising and gas mileage. I can't even turn 6th gear to redline in my car

True on the gearing thing. I read an article where they ran the C6 against a 911 and they thought the 911 acceleration was much more linier(sp) because they where able to space the gearing out better using all 6 gears. Makes me wonder how well my C5 would run if it didn't use two over drive gears.

As far as which car is better.... I would do very bad things to have either of those cars, but considering the what the GT is I would really cause trouble for that one.

redstang

BmoseleyINC said:
HAHAHAH, those guys are so clueless...

Here is the deal if you ls1tech guys are reading this:

The Gt will smoke a c6 Zo6. The z06 will dyno around 430(Maybe) if it does make 500 at the crank as advertised....

The New Gt makes 560Rwhp and is bottled up from the factory.

Your vette will most likely trap around 118-119 with an excellent driver.
The GT traps in the 130+ range ,and it runs alongside ENZO's

You guys are trying to compare a sports car to a super car. THe GT has out powered, out handled, and out classed your best offering.

Dont get me wrong, I like the new vette alot, but if you run into a Gt on the road, just put your tail between your legs and hide, because you will get completely destroyed.

130 RWHP advantage = Corvette Destroyed bottom line. As for the price, of course it's more expensive, it looks better, it way faster, and is an homage to one of the greatest cars in history, the GT-40. It's an exotic, not a sports car.

so, please get your head out of your ass, and remember that a corvette is not god's gift to mankind. IT's fast, but not fast enough in this case.

Class dismissed :pop:

well said! :thumbsup:

Formula51

Established Member
We should be careful throwing numbers around other than what are published. I do not have the exact quote on hand, but it goes something like this:

The Z06 will run 0-60mph in less than 4.0 seconds, 0-100mph in less than 7.0 seconds (i think thats right), the quarter mile in less than 12.0 seconds and will have a top speed of OVER 190mph.

The C6 does 186-187mph, so you can bet that with 100 more horsepower and only a slightly greater drag coefficient, the Z06 will do over 190mph.

At the moment that is all we TRUELY know, besides ADVERTISED horsepower and torque, and of course the weight, brakes, etc.

I believe the GT40 will be faster in the quarter mile and will have a higher top speed. I believe they will be close in handling and track times, but think the Z06 will stop shorter in the 60-0mph test due to its weight and brakes.

Both cars are incredible performance machines. The GT40 is a unique supercar that you are not going to see on the road very often if at all (I have yet to see one.) There are only 1500 made a year and many sit in showrooms and in the garages of collectors. However, you can be certain you will see a C6 Z06 on the road in your lifetime. Talking about stop light racing with these cars is funny to me, these cars are street legal, but they were built for the track (the twisty one!).

If I had the money to buy a GT I would probably have the money to buy both the GT and the Z06. Maybe one day in the future my girlfriend and I will buy a nice $180k house in South Carolina (houses are real cheap here) and a 60-70k Z06 for the garage, instead of buying a GT40 and covering it with a tarp infront of our apartment!

My point in all of this is that the two cars are very very different, yet I suspect that the Z06 will be close to the GT40 in most performance categories and maybe (big maybe) edge it out in a few. But hey, a 65k car performaing close to a 250k car isn't bad at all in my book. Also, the Z06 can be daily driven as it gets decent gas mileage and costs 60-70k so you woulnt feel like you got kicked in the nuts if it gets a door ding. The GT40 is incredibly more likely to get stolen and because of this, insurance, and produciton numbers, you will see many more daily driven Z06's.

BmoseleyINC: "Your vette will most likely trap around 118-119 with an excellent driver."

I believe you are misinformed here. There are "excellent drivers" trapping around that (117-118mph) in a C5 Z06 running in the very low 12's to even high 11's. The best totally stock, down to the tires and air filter, C5 Z06 run is in the neighborhood of 11.8 believe it or not. Remeber that magazine drivers are not all that plus they dont get a lot of practice in the car. I will go out on a limb here and say "excellent drivers" will trap over 120mph in the new Z06.

We just have to wait and see..................

Last edited:

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
Formula51 said:
We should be careful throwing numbers around other than what are published. I do not have the exact quote on hand, but it goes something like this:

The Z06 will run 0-60mph in less than 4.0 seconds, 0-100mph in less than 7.0 seconds (i think thats right), the quarter mile in less than 12.0 seconds and will have a top speed of OVER 190mph.

The C6 does 186-187mph, so you can bet that with 100 more horsepower and only a slightly greater drag coefficient, the Z06 will do over 190mph.

At the moment that is all we TRUELY know, besides ADVERTISED horsepower and torque, and of course the weight, brakes, etc.

I believe the GT40 will be faster in the quarter mile and will have a higher top speed. I believe they will be close in handling and track times, but think the Z06 will stop shorter in the 60-0mph test due to its weight and brakes.

Both cars are incredible performance machines. The GT40 is a unique supercar that you are not going to see on the road very often if at all (I have yet to see one.) There are only 1500 made a year and many sit in showrooms and in the garages of collectors. However, you can be certain you will see a C6 Z06 on the road in your lifetime. Talking about stop light racing with these cars is funny to me, these cars are street legal, but they were built for the track (the twisty one!).

If I had the money to buy a GT I would probably have the money to buy both the GT and the Z06. Maybe one day in the future my girlfriend and I will buy a nice $180k house in South Carolina (houses are real cheap here) and a 60-70k Z06 for the garage, instead of buying a GT40 and covering it with a tarp infront of our apartment!

My point in all of this is that the two cars are very very different, yet I suspect that the Z06 will be close to the GT40 in most performance categories and maybe (big maybe) edge it out in a few. But hey, a 65k car performaing close to a 250k car isn't bad at all in my book. Also, the Z06 can be daily driven as it gets decent gas mileage and costs 60-70k so you woulnt feel like you got kicked in the nuts if it gets a door ding. The GT40 is incredibly more likely to get stolen and because of this, insurance, and produciton numbers, you will see many more daily driven Z06's.

BmoseleyINC: "Your vette will most likely trap around 118-119 with an excellent driver."

I believe you are misinformed here. There are "excellent drivers" trapping around that (117-118mph) in a C5 Z06 running in the very low 12's to even high 11's. The best totally stock, down to the tires and air filter, C5 Z06 run is in the neighborhood of 11.8 believe it or not. Remeber that magazine drivers are not all that plus they dont get a lot of practice in the car. I will go out on a limb here and say "excellent drivers" will trap over 120mph in the new Z06.

We just have to wait and see..................

Yeha I'll retract my statement, they will probly trap 122-123 or so..may be more I dunno...Sick cars though.

Formula51

Established Member
You are a gentleman and a scholar! But seriously, both of these cars are absolutely amazing and the relatively cheap Z06 will certainly drive up the competition. It looks like the Cobra is going pig heavy obliteratingly fast in a stright line on us, but this GTR Concept could do some serious stomping if it makes production! It does look like that for the moment Chevy and of course Ford can wave, smile, and flash their hazards at the Viper!

In an era of ridiculously high gas prices we find ourselves in the greatest Muscle Car Era of them all!!!!!

Why cant Ford just give us a lightweight (aluminum block and a diet), great handling (low center of gravity, NA, and good balance), and affordable Cobra? A car that can compete with the Vette in ALL categories, costs less, and has a back seat. This may be dreaming, but it sure would be coll to see. Someone needs to put some pressure on the Vette in the spirit of improving both cars. Perhaps we will see a Shelby Mustang to do this?

Sorry for that off topic rant, but thinking about cars just got me started :)

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Formula51 said:

But hey, a 65k car performaing close to a 250k car isn't bad at all in my book. Also, the Z06 can be daily driven as it gets decent gas mileage and costs 60-70k so you woulnt feel like you got kicked in the nuts if it gets a door ding. The GT40 is incredibly more likely to get stolen and because of this, insurance, and produciton numbers, you will see many more daily driven Z06's.

We just have to wait and see..................[/QUOTE

1. The new Z06 is supposed to be 85k and you can find GTs for 150k
2. You can bet that the new z06s will trap over 120. The fastest stock trap for last years model is like 117 with ~360rwhp. Surely someone can find a few more mph with at lest 60rwhp ;)

The new z06 is going to be hard to beat for the money, but definately not imposible to beat :)

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
Formula51 said:
You are a gentleman and a scholar! But seriously, both of these cars are absolutely amazing and the relatively cheap Z06 will certainly drive up the competition. It looks like the Cobra is going pig heavy obliteratingly fast in a stright line on us, but this GTR Concept could do some serious stomping if it makes production! It does look like that for the moment Chevy and of course Ford can wave, smile, and flash their hazards at the Viper!

In an era of ridiculously high gas prices we find ourselves in the greatest Muscle Car Era of them all!!!!!

Why cant Ford just give us a lightweight (aluminum block and a diet), great handling (low center of gravity, NA, and good balance), and affordable Cobra? A car that can compete with the Vette in ALL categories, costs less, and has a back seat. This may be dreaming, but it sure would be coll to see. Someone needs to put some pressure on the Vette in the spirit of improving both cars. Perhaps we will see a Shelby Mustang to do this?

Sorry for that off topic rant, but thinking about cars just got me started :)

Seriously, I feel you on so many levels.. I am so sick of how heavy mustangs are, especialy Cobra's.

It's lame that we have to make more power to be just as fast. Take my buddy Randy's kenne bell 04 mystichrome cobra..With him in it, half tank of gas, and a roll cage. Weighed in at 3960.. That is outlandish...

Why the **** cant we have a 3200 l/b cobra... THe vette managed to be this light, yet it's longer, and wider...WTF

I cant believe how much of a pig the new mustang is, it weighs like 150l/b more than my cobra!!!

CY98Cobra

Established Member
The vetter has an aluminum frame and many other lightweight (expensive) parts. If you want the Mustang to be light you will have to pay for it.

The very things that make the 03/4 Cobra fast also make it heavy. I think they should quit worrying about back seat space and keep the mustang the size of the 94-04's. The new stang is like 4 inches longer than the current models, all that equals extra weight.

I think that instead of arguing about which is better, we should be proud that America is turning out supercars that run with the greatest europeans and cost much, much less. It's about time America stepped up and showed what we can do performance wise:rockon:

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
1. The new Z06 is supposed to be 85k and you can find GTs for 150k
2. You can bet that the new z06s will trap over 120. The fastest stock trap for last years model is like 117 with ~360rwhp. Surely someone can find a few more mph with at lest 60rwhp ;)

The new z06 is going to be hard to beat for the money, but definately not imposible to beat :)

All the Chevy and Corvette boards I have been on and the guesses of magazines put it between 60-70k. A few have guessed as high as 75k. Believe me man, GM will not make the mistake of pricing it close to the Viper at 85k. Dont be surprised it its like $64,999. After all, thats one expensive Chevy ;-)

The MSRP on the GT is arund 150k, but I have yet to see one for less than 200k. Most I see are around 250k. This is a limited production car and people can pretty much name their price I guess. Do you have an example of one for sale for 150k?

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Do you think the GM dealers will add a "market adjustment" for the new z06?
I can see people paying $100K for it.

Formula51

Established Member
I do think that many dealers will markup the sticker price. And think that people would pay 100k for this car. Lets hope they dont though so those markups disappear quickly. Regardless, those markups WILL disappear as there will just be too many Z06's made and the price will fall. Might take 6 months for the majority to fall, but that is just a guess. I do believe that with some effort you will be able to buy one for only a few grand over MSRP. Several dealers have already guaranteed their past customers 2k over MSRP. There was even an ebay auction doing this same thing.

The markups or market adjustment will not stay there as it does on a limited production car like the GT. It's basic supply and demand, but it does take some time.

Users who are viewing this thread