C8 Corvette making potential GT500 buyers rethink their options

Voltwings

Established Member
The gt500 makes 760hp at $74k.

The c8 makes 495hp at $60k.

While I personally find the c8 the better overall car for what I would want to do (fun weekend corner carver, quick stoplight drag, cool overall, usable as a compromised daily), I will go to bat for Ford that $74k for 760hp with a dct et al is very impressive as well.

The gt350 has 526hp for $60k. That’s 31hp more than the vette.

The bullitt has 480hp for $48k. That’s 15hp less but also $12k less.

The demon has 840hp for $84k.

The honest truth is that $/hp, the domestics are ****ING the competition very hard.

Euro hp is basically twice the price of American hp.

350hp Audi $60k+
440hp bmw $60k+
500hp amg $80k+
600hp amg $170k+
700hp mclaren $275k+
800hp Ferrari $300k+
900hp Ferrari/Mclaren $1m+

Again l like the c8 a **** ton. But compare the new gt500 to a Ferrari 812 superfast

2018 Ferrari 812 Superfast First Drive | Review | Car and Driver

760hp vs 789hp.
4200lbs vs 3950lbs
S charge vs na
Both fr layout
4seat vs 2seat

Considering a ****ing $375k Ferrari is barely 250lbs lighter na vs the gt500, it means ford techs are getting well within 5% of the vehicle weight of an NA 2 seat Italian hyper car making 800hp for $375k if you just take the blower off the gt500. Obviously ford did a blown motor vs a huge NA 7.0L to keep cost down. It would be maybe 100lbs lighter but also less torque and $10k pricier with a bestoke 750hp 7.0L Dohc.

The 2020 gt500 probably weighs 4100lbs without the supercharger, cooling et al.

Compare a gt350r to the Ferrari. Yes the Ferrari is making 789hp from 6.5L (121hp per liter) vs the fords 526hp from 5.2L (101hp/liter) but one costs $67,500 and weighs 3650lbs. The other costs $375k and weighs 3950lbs. 300lbs heavier it’s its almost 6 times the price.

I will go to bat for Ford GT500, they are within 7% of the Ferrari 812 for 1/5th the price. Quarter mile looks to go to the gt500 all things told too.

That's all fine and dandy, but having just come from a 2017 Chevrolet to a 2017 Audi I can tell you 2 things right off the bat.

1. Damn near all German cars factory HP are under rated.
2. You buy an American car for the horsepower and happen to get a somewhat decent interior, whereas you buy a German can for the interior and they tend to put a damn good engine in there as well. It's not really an apples to apples comparison when you're strictly talking $ / hp

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
That's all fine and dandy, but having just come from a 2017 Chevrolet to a 2017 Audi I can tell you 2 things right off the bat.

1. Damn near all German cars factory HP are under rated.
2. You buy an American car for the horsepower and happen to get a somewhat decent interior, whereas you buy a German can for the interior and they tend to put a damn good engine in there as well. It's not really an apples to apples comparison when you're strictly talking $ / hp

Sense of speed. You’d imagine a veyron would be amazingly fun but you’ll get a bigger shit eating grin out of an 800hp c5 than a veyron.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Dave, I didn't watch the video, so apologies, but does the LT2 have that stupid AFM as well?
I heard that the Z06 and Z07 cars had the AFM in every single mode, whether it be normal or even track? Is that true?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Dave, I didn't watch the video, so apologies, but does the LT2 have that stupid AFM as well?
I heard that the Z06 and Z07 cars had the AFM in every single mode, whether it be normal or even track? Is that true?

its a good video, I'd give it a watch, but the cliffs is the LT2 basically carries over a lot from the LT1, as in same displacement, compression ratio, cylinder heads. Though it will be a dry sump setup, have equal length headers, high rise intake manifold and different camshaft profile. AFAIK it will still have AFM.

Voltwings

Established Member

C7 z06 does not have it in every mode, if it's a manual transmission. My dad has one and his only goes into v4 if he puts it in touring mode. I believe the automatics do it in every mode though, but that I'm not certain on.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
its a good video, I'd give it a watch, but the cliffs is the LT2 basically carries over a lot from the LT1, as in same displacement, compression ratio, cylinder heads. Though it will be a dry sump setup, have equal length headers, high rise intake manifold and different camshaft profile. AFAIK it will still have AFM.
C7 z06 does not have it in every mode, if it's a manual transmission. My dad has one and his only goes into v4 if he puts it in touring mode. I believe the automatics do it in every mode though, but that I'm not certain on.
I thought it stayed on in all modes, IIRC from reading off the Corvette forums. Maybe I misunderstood.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
No Sport and Track it is disengaged, but if it is in Tour,Wet, Eco then yes going at a constant below 2,200 RPM's then it will turn on.
Okay.
It was pretty confusing the way the poster was explaining in that post. Even in the A8 correct? It will disengage?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
hahahahaha.....NO!

Yes.

You have your opinion, but both cars trapping 140-145, who would get a bigger shit eating grin from driving a veyron vs an 800whp c5.

I rest my case. As far as which car I’d want to own, yes I’ll take the veyron, but my point was shit eating grin/sense of speed.

140mph in a luxobarge feels like 75mph in a smaller wheelbase muscle car.

Go drive a Mercedes e or s class to 150mph. It’s very mellow. Hop in a 2018 bullitt mustang and do the same, it’s exciting. It’s not the acceleration that makes it exciting, because a bullitt isn’t as fast as an e or s class to 150mph. It’s the experience of going 150 in a less refined car. Shit eating grin is “holy **** this is pretty risky but my foots staying down”

You can get a shit eating grin going 40mph on a mountain bike vs 40mph on a motorcycle. Would rather own the motorcycle, but the experience is more memorable o the mountain bike.

Same way running a 12.5@115mph is way more shit eating grim experience in a 1987 foxbody than it is in a 2019 mustang gt manual. Again from earlier, I’d rather own the 2019 gt, but the fox will give you a bigger shit eating grin.

His German Audi s6 is not a bad car, I’d rather own it over a mustang gt, but that’s because it’s a nicer car/better daily driver. It’s not more fun to drive or experience driving in though imo.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I thought it was limitless? That’s why everyone was complaining about the GT500 and limited availability.
If they have or nearly have sold out planned production for 2020, I wouldn't be surprised if they allocated as many resources to meet demand.

Users who are viewing this thread