Cage up-grade/taking some weight out

MantisManBHP

Established Member
Very nice work!

What exactly are the bars that go all the way to the back of the car supporting?

I'm also curious if all the bars are the same diameter and wall thickness? If not that cage is carrying around ALOT of extra unnecessary weight.

The weight and tubing specs are proprietary info. But the rear kickers are
1. Regulated by nasa as a spec roll cage requirement.
2. Stiffen the lightened car
3. Add more rear impact protection, almost like a crumple zone. that is why they are not laced into anything else.

racer

Established Member
Sorry, I should have included the picture. I'm looking at the second set of bars going to the back of the vehicle. As your suspension pickup points are all forward of this point I'm trying to understand what the purpose of these parts would be.

img4727ck8.th.jpg

How much did the bar end up weighing?

Those bars (I call them kickers, not sure what they are called) can be run to the shock towers but we put them back there to connect to the fuel cell supports that link the frame rails.
We also put them back there to provide supports for the rear wing. I never took a picture of how we had it set up before but it worked great.

You can see it a little better here

Here's the Nasa requirment

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I'll be interested to see what the full vehicle weighs when you are done.

The factory sheet metal makes a much better crumple zone as those bars aren't really designed to crumple.

You meet the NASA requirements with the bars that go to the rear shock tower area so those other bars are redundant unless you are running IRS and they tie into the same area as the IRS rear mounting points.

I'm assuming you are going to put a passenger seat in the car?

MantisManBHP

Established Member

The factory sheet metal makes a much better crumple zone as those bars aren't really designed to crumple.

You meet the NASA requirements with the bars that go to the rear shock tower area so those other bars are redundant unless you are running IRS and they tie into the same area as the IRS rear mounting points.

I'm assuming you are going to put a passenger seat in the car?

Listen buddy, give it a rest with the cage....:bash: Yes, 2 seater.

racer

Established Member

Actually it does not. I would have to run the kickers to the shock towers as the diagonal bars are as NASA puts it optional.

I cant wait to see how much it weighs myself.

hehe.. i just hope that racer is a small guy... getting into that car will be a little difficult otherwise :)

Drinking Corona Light from now on :beer:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Yes you are correct about the diagonals, my mistake.

I'd be interested to see pictures of how you mount the wing to the cage. Are you planning on mounting it through the decklid or on the decklid with supports underneath?

Lastly, can you share the plans on how you plan to run the bars to the front shock towers?

Don't take my comments as being harsh as I just like to understand why things were done certain ways as I believe there is always something to learn from most cage designs.

racer

Established Member
I'd be interested to see pictures of how you mount the wing to the cage. Are you planning on mounting it through the decklid or on the decklid with supports underneath?

I cant find any pictures of how we had it mounted on the last cage but it was mounted off the kickers and was very solid. If I can find them I post them up.

Lastly, can you share the plans on how you plan to run the bars to the front shock towers?

Not sure what the final design is yet. When it's done I'll post some pic's.

Don't take my comments as being harsh as I just like to understand why things were done certain ways as I believe there is always something to learn from most cage designs.[/QUOTE]

No worries, doesn't bother me at all. I like the decision making process, I hope to run this car in a few pavement events that are not on a race track so I have to make a few "allowances" along the way.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I went back and re-read the whole thread as catching bits and pieces over the last month didn't give me the whole picture.
It's a nicely ambitous project, and looks like it's nearing completion. Now that the front bars are in, is it just a matter of throwing back on the stuff removed for the cage build, or are other items being worked on also. Bottom line, are you close to getting it back out there? :thumbsup:

And it sounds like you plan some open road events, if I'm reading between the lines correctly.
I had a friend that ran the Silver State and Nova Scotia events a few years back. God that looks like fun! :banana:

racer

Established Member
I went back and re-read the whole thread as catching bits and pieces over the last month didn't give me the whole picture.
It's a nicely ambitous project, and looks like it's nearing completion. Now that the front bars are in, is it just a matter of throwing back on the stuff removed for the cage build, or are other items being worked on also. Bottom line, are you close to getting it back out there? :thumbsup:

And it sounds like you plan some open road events, if I'm reading between the lines correctly.
I had a friend that ran the Silver State and Nova Scotia events a few years back. God that looks like fun! :banana:

Greg
We still have a ways to go, the seat position will be moved back which will require new pedals, remote resivores etc.
The oiling for the remote turbos will be revised (re-designed) completly.
The entire front clip will be moulded in C/F so I can make a quick change when I run out of talent (I have no talent to begin with)
The rear brakes will be replaced with a different set-up if Richard can swing the parts necessary.
The cooling for the turbos will be from the fake vents in front of the rear wheels with fan's. (sorry Richard)
Later on the rear suspention will be tossed for a ladder bar set-up (agent 47)
The next motor (being built now) will have a dry sump oiling set-up

I do plan on running a few different "road events" sponsership permitting.
Pikes Peak
Targa NewFoundland
Silver State
Rally Kerry in Ireland (lost a bet, what can I tell ya) A bunch of my friends run it every year and it is a blast. :beer:

racer

Established Member
Fella's

I had to go by the shop today so Richard could set the steering and pedal positions, I had not seen the car for a couple of weeks.

Check thes out, I was pretty happy with the set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread