Cali SMog

Kuestone

Banned
Does anyone know what it might be easier to get away with in California smog tests? A Kenne Bell or Could you get away with a Turbo easier?? Anyone have any experience with this?

C.K.

Established Member
I don't believe either is legal. The smog guys know their stuff, so I think you will have a very hard time either way.

Kuestone

Banned
Yea, I was going eith either a 2.6 or a Single hellion, but none are smog legal, I figured maybe I can put my stock midpipe on with the kb but theres still a kb blower sittin on top of my motor, and would the smog guys really be bugged about that even if the car had four cats and ran clean. As for the hellion I was thinkin weld 4 fake cats or deinstall the kit every smog, but that seems like a big PITA.

97SilverGS-T

Established Member
You could weld 4 fake cats under there, but it wont pass the sniffer

Only way to pass smog out here with illegal gizmos is to pay. It usually goes for about $250+

You could sneak by visual by painting everything flat black, but I guarantee it wont pass sniffer.

Trust me...been there, done that

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Just make sure whatever you buy has a CARB number...I KNOW whipple and KB both have legal superchargers....turbos on the other hand, I don't know.....

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
When you're car is tuned properly, I think it would actually run even cleaner than stock since they usually tune for the most optimal A/F.

97SilverGS-T

Established Member
Incorrect

On my GS-T I had that thing tuned pretty damn good. I didnt have any type of cat, just straight 3 inches from the turbo back. I dont remember what it's called, but its like less than 50 something of O2 released into the atmosphere, my GS-T shot out 1200+

And that was only 4 cylinders....imagine what a KB or Helion Cobra would put out...

DanTheCobraMan

Established Member
To the best of my knowledge, O2 is not a determining factor for passing or failing smog. It is only HC, CO and NO. I'm not an expert by any means on this topic, but intuitively thinking, I would imagine that what I said is accurate. I would think the leaner you are (which is the goal in obtaining optimal performance via a custom tune since optimal performance is achieved at the just the point before detonation occurs), the less pollution (HC, CO, NO) you are putting out. Until I am corrected by an expert, I will stand by my reasoning. Your missing cats probably had something to do with you failing...

Last edited:

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
if the smog machine detects too much O2 in the exhaust stream it will abort the test. an old trick people used to do to pass smog was to have holes in the exhaust to let some of the gasses out.

oldmodman

Established Member
I had no problem passing smog here in Los Angeles and I have a Whipple. I just made sure that I put the 3.5 inch pulley back on it and reloaded the stock tune first. I am running the stock H pipe so the original cats are still on the car.

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
I say find someone that will do it for 100 bucks. they're out there...

97SilverGS-T

Established Member
A buddy of mine pays $250 every 2 years for his DSM....he went all out, 3.5inch turboback, 60-1 hybrid, blow through setup, 2.3 stroker yadda yadda...

Kuestone

Banned
F it iam just gunna do what I want and when it comes time to smog if I cant slip a bill to someone I will just deinstall back to stock. then reinstall.

Users who are viewing this thread