California DMV takes four months to make custom plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
What a joke.
I ordered custom plates back in November and got a letter on the 23rd of the same month saying my order was received and it will take 8-12 weeks, I should get a letter saying my plates are ready, blah blah blah.

I called DMV asking the status and the plates now take FOUR months to make! Really 4 months to make a small custom plate (motorcycle)?

Not sure if icormba is here but he ordered plates for his gt350 BEFORE he was allocated a gt350 and his gt350 was built and shipped before he got his ****ing plates. Wtf Cali dmv? :kaboom:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I'm sure the design has to get approved by 13 people before it can go through 3 subcontractors to make it. Then get shipped to the DMV, where it'll go through 3-4 offices before it gets shipped out to you.

NastyNate420

Established Member
DOH ! I ordered my custom Black n yellow plates a couple months ago. Didnt realize it was gonna take 12 weeks til i placed the order. Guess I still wont be seeing those plates for months!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I love the legacy plates, and have ordered them for all 3 of my vehicles lol

my first set (personalized) took 10.5 weeks before i was notified that they came in. I did that using the paper form because I already had regular personalized plates for my vert.

my second personalized set I ordered for my coupe took 13 weeks. I ordered them online right before the holidays, so perhaps the inmates at folsom state prison get that time off?

and as far as my truck, which is a commercial registration, I couldn't think of anything good as far as personalized, so I ordered just the sequential, and I did it using the paper form again and mailing in a check. this time I received my new registration form within 5 days of them cashing my check! the plates have not arrived in my mailbox yet, but I have a feeling they will shortly. it has only been a couple weeks.

so I dunno, overall I think they do a good job. and the plates look terrific, so to me it is worth the wait.

earl lee

Established Member
Question, when you CA guys say custom plates do you mean just adding whatever you want to say on the back like "slobra" or do guys mean your literally designing a plate with your own template style etc?

MysticRob

Established Member
DOH ! I ordered my custom Black n yellow plates a couple months ago. Didnt realize it was gonna take 12 weeks til i placed the order. Guess I still wont be seeing those plates for months!

Same here, a couple weeks ago. Gotta love all govt departments and how wildly inefficient they are, especially when it comes to our awesome-ass federal govt. They should fire the VA mgmt and send them all to the front lines to fight.

I'm hoping there is a Hell and all crappy govt employees go there so they can wait in interminable lines, die repeatedly in pain before they get any health care, have to file endless streams of paperwork, etc.

Question, when you CA guys say custom plates do you mean just adding whatever you want to say on the back like "slobra" or do guys mean your literally designing a plate with your own template style etc?

'Designing' meant using up to those 7 available spots on the plate to spell out whatever we want to see. We can't put any designs, though there are numerous different plates to choose from.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/ipp2/initPers.do

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
my bad, I thought the op said "custom black plates" meaning the '60s legacy. I have no idea how long for just the regular personalized "vanity" plates nowadays.

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
I love the legacy plates, and have ordered them for all 3 of my vehicles lol

my first set (personalized) took 10.5 weeks before i was notified that they came in. I did that using the paper form because I already had regular personalized plates for my vert.

my second personalized set I ordered for my coupe took 13 weeks. I ordered them online right before the holidays, so perhaps the inmates at folsom state prison get that time off?

and as far as my truck, which is a commercial registration, I couldn't think of anything good as far as personalized, so I ordered just the sequential, and I did it using the paper form again and mailing in a check. this time I received my new registration form within 5 days of them cashing my check! the plates have not arrived in my mailbox yet, but I have a feeling they will shortly. it has only been a couple weeks.

so I dunno, overall I think they do a good job. and the plates look terrific, so to me it is worth the wait.

Interesting. I ordered the legacy plates online (not personalized, just the black plates) through the DMV website in November and haven't heard a word from the DMV, but they sure took my $50 with no issues lol. Maybe I will get them in the next few weeks.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
That really is ridiculous. Worse than waiting on UPS to deliver mail order stuff in the 80's. Hell that was only 6-8 weeks.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
my bad, I thought the op said "custom black plates" meaning the '60s legacy. I have no idea how long for just the regular personalized "vanity" plates nowadays.
They are legacy plates,personalized too by picking the letters that I want.

This reminds me of when I picked up a package last week, the old guy at the counter spent i dont know, 2-3 minutes looking at my drivers license and a package to verify the box was for me. lol FFS :nonono:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Double post, SVTP seems to be lagging today. Hopefully they fix the issue and we dont get DMV'd with slow service. :xpl:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

As said, CA has recently started allowing custom black plates to be ordered.

I imagine this is why they are so slow.

hF7C19E6A

ZincYellowGT281

Established Member
I'm sure the design has to get approved by 13 people before it can go through 3 subcontractors to make it. Then get shipped to the DMV, where it'll go through 3-4 offices before it gets shipped out to you.

Then in that case I wonder how long this took? OP u gotta be creative tho....
89032C23-3567-4ED4-A692-1FA5F8A7CB2A.png_zpsggtdrqaf.jpg

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
That's not bad. It took over 2 years for them to renew my occupational license.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
zootopia-sloth-680x400.jpg This is about our average DMV worker. I was amazed when I bought my 2014 that I had to wait for the regular plates to come, then order personalized, then wait for those to come. It would make a lot more sense to be able to order personalized plates at the time of vehicle sale.

NastyNate420

Established Member
Yeah I order the legacy plates custom "NASTY4V" I saw alot of cars driving with them and I was jealous and had to look it up. 50$ was a steal IMO!

Kiohtee

Established Member
I just ordered a Ford Racing plate that says 5SL0 for my '11 GT. It's supposed to take 6-8 weeks. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread