California DMV takes four months to make custom plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I used the kiosk in the DMV to pay my registration for my car (i was late on it :/ ) so I could get my tags right then and there. I paid, I got tags boom done.

I get a letter in the mail from the DMV 4 WEEKS later stating I hadnt yet renewed my registration. "I just renewed at the Motherf... KIOSK!!!"

This state becomes more of a joke of itself everyday.

madscotsman

Established Member
Wow talk about FWP. I'm sure the OP is the ONLY person in the small state of CA that ordered custom plates in November :poke:... At least you can order them still. Custom plates have been indefinitely discontinued in Indiana pending the outcome of a lawsuit.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
That sucks man. I ordered vanity plates for the wife's new Mustang and the state of Alabama mailed the new plates to me 9 days later.

U.M.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
If I can help it, I go to AAA to do anything related to the DMV. They don't do everything, but they do a lot of the common stuff.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
If I can help it, I go to AAA to do anything related to the DMV. They don't do everything, but they do a lot of the common stuff.
+1 AAA can worry about that crap.

Bought my 16 Explorer first week of January, the regular plates just got here last week. Go figure...

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Wow talk about FWP. I'm sure the OP is the ONLY person in the small state of CA that ordered custom plates in November :poke:... At least you can order them still. Custom plates have been indefinitely discontinued in Indiana pending the outcome of a lawsuit.
DMV is a huge organization, taking over 12 weeks to make plates is ridiculous. For someone to get allotted a GT350, order the GT350, have it shipped to dealer and get the car before plates arrive is crazy (he ordered the plates before he was allotted a car).

You initially pay $50 to get the plates made, now that its taken over 3 months I have paid to have the plate for 3/4 out of the year. Once it goes passed 16 weeks and I still dont have them that would mean I only had the plates 2/3 out of the year. With a mindset like yours nothing would ever be done, big state, huge population, lets just do the work next year and increase the back log!

UM, that is whats wrong with this state, it isnt efficient, it takes a month to get a driver's license here. My buddy moved to Missouri and got a license in 7 days.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
+1 AAA can worry about that crap.

Bought my 16 Explorer first week of January, the regular plates just got here last week. Go figure...

That's pretty typical. I don't think I have gotten a set of plates for a new car in less time than that, and I have bought/traded a few in the last couple years.

AAA is pretty awesome. I had moved and didn't change the address on my registration in time, and it got sent to an old address. Went to AAA just before it was due, and I was able to get a new copy of the registration paperwork, change my address, get a smog, pay my registration and got my sticker all in about an hour. It only took that long as the office isn't next to the smog shop I go to.

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
lol... nearly 29 million registered vehicles in California for over 38 million people.. God knows how many "custom plates" for said 29 million each year.

But OP is most important person due to his whining and complaining about the DMV. I get it.

Other states with less people should have a quicker turn around.

Mike L.

Established Member
lol... nearly 29 million registered vehicles in California for over 38 million people.. God knows how many "custom plates" for said 29 million each year.

But OP is most important person due to his whining and complaining about the DMV. I get it.

Don't know why you had to post this crap.
I ordered custom plates and it took 3 months before I got my notice. DMV said they would hold them for 30 days. I went online and couldn't get an appointment for 60 days. I tried sneaking up at DMV a few times and found the line leading all the way into the parking lot.
I gave up and said to hell with it. 2 months later DMV sent a post card telling me they still had the plates. I went back online and got an appointment in 2 weeks.
After I got the plates I went to my car and found they forgot to give me the stickers. I went back in line and got them from the same idiot. Appointment took 1 1/2 hours to get plates.
So, I guess this is acceptable according to you and I am also a whiner?

terrible one

American Made
Established Member

CA DMV charges more than any other state for registration, has more fees and red tape than any other one, and requires more certificates for BS reasons. Going to the DMV takes roughly 4-6 hours for simple tasks that could be handled in less than 20 minutes. It's one of the most mismanaged government departments I've ever had to deal with. It's not about the OP's plates taking an exorbitant amount of time, it's the fact that this department is incompetent to handle the most basic of tasks. If you haven't lived in CA for a decent amount of time and had to deal with CA DMV crap you wouldn't understand.
/end rant

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member

You probably work for DMV. Letter said 8-12 weeks, its passed that time so of course I am going to complain. The amount of people this state has doesnt really matter, how long does it take to make one plate? Stamping aluminum and then painting is not a long process, they arent making wheels from blocks bud.

BlueSnake01

Established Member

I take it you work for the DMV? Shouldnt you be busy getting plates done instead of surfing SVTP?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I think 4-5 weeks is the longest it's ever taken me to get my custom plates here in Texas. I guess our prisoners work fast lol

bakerpb

I ordered 1960 Legacy plate (black) online CA DMV Nov. 23, 2016. Order went through Nov. 30, 2016. Just got paper confirmation March 17, 2017. 107 DAYS, Almost 16 weeks, Over 3 months... dear lord!

Last edited:

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
I ordered 1960 Legacy plate (black) online CA DMV Nov. 23, 2016. Order went through Nov. 30, 2016. Just got paper confirmation March 17, 2017. 107 DAYS, Almost 16 weeks, Over 3 months... dear lord!
Reviving a year old thread, Priceless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread