California is getting out of control?

I.V. Bolt.

Established Member
Alot of SD people are selling there old houses, and I mean old for over $300,000 and moving this way to the El centro area. They come here and buy a new one cash. They commute to SD every day for work. As a result of that, houses here are going up in price alot. Theres close to 5000 houses in the plans for this area on the near future.

Pyro

Established Member
When you throw in the cost of a young family on top of a pricey house, it's a whole different ball game. In addition to the housing prices, I also got sick of the So. Cal. traffic, crime, and influence on my children. My daughter was 7 going on 17. At least in the Reno/Tahoe area, children grow up a bit slower and are more into the outdoors rather than makeup, going to the mall, boys, and all that other cali stuff. IMO, it's just a better place to raise a family and buy a home. Again, JMO.

IDAREU

Banned
The more I read this thread, the more happy I am living in Buffalo NY.
I have a 2800sqft house, 4bedroom, finished basement, 3 car garage, in ground pool that if I sold it would be worth $250,000.

If I lived in a area that has seen that kind of increase in property I would sell and move to another part of the country and enjoy more things for my money. Hell you could move to a South American country live like a king on just the interest of the profit of a Sale!

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by idareu
The more I read this thread, the more happy I am living in Buffalo NY.
I have a 2800sqft house, 4bedroom, finished basement, 3 car garage, in ground pool that if I sold it would be worth $250,000.

If I lived in a area that has seen that kind of increase in property I would sell and move to another part of the country and enjoy more things for my money.

That's exactly what I did and I feel that my quality of life improved dramatically but I just happen to be an outdoors type of person so I'm in the right place. Hell, I can always visit California with the amount of $$ I saved. BTW, it seems like I'm not the only one with this idea. More and more Californians are moving into my area every day:(

SERprise SVT

Sleepers are fun
Established Member
Originally posted by idareu
Hell you could move to a South American country live like a king on just the interest of the profit of a Sale!

Or West Virginia. Same thing. :p

A very good friend of mine is moving from LA back here to WV, after 18 years in SoCal. His very small house was purchased for $700k about 8 years ago. He just sold it for $1.21 million.

Immediately bought a place that is (no kidding) 3x the size and on a double lot here for $270,000.

It was enough to enable him to retire at age 43, move back here, and live very nicely.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Cali and Colorado cost of living are outageous...Lived in Denver for about a year....Then said **** that!Moved back to Texas....WOOT!!!

bunk22

Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
When you throw in the cost of a young family on top of a pricey house, it's a whole different ball game. In addition to the housing prices, I also got sick of the So. Cal. traffic, crime, and influence on my children. My daughter was 7 going on 17. At least in the Reno/Tahoe area, children grow up a bit slower and are more into the outdoors rather than makeup, going to the mall, boys, and all that other cali stuff. IMO, it's just a better place to raise a family and buy a home. Again, JMO.

Good points. It is no kidding difficult with a family. I've got a daughter, unfortunetly that's all we can have, so it's a bit easier with one child. I'm lucky that I drive the opposite way of traffic but damn it's getting crowded. I grew in So Cal, LaVerne and San Dimas to be exact, and those towns are low crime, less traffic, but still expensive. San Diego is a big city with big city issues. I'm sending my daughter to a private school that cost more a year than did the University where I got my degree. I want her to have smaller classes with more one on one teacher student interaction. The public schools are packed out here. Good and bad I suppose.

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by bunk22
I grew in So Cal, LaVerne and San Dimas to be exact, and those towns are low crime, less traffic, but still expensive.

I know that area well. I moved from Chino Hills. Traffic and crime isn't bad there but I only spent a fraction of my time in CH. Venturing out of my immediate town got to be nerve wrecking and took a long time with traffic everywhere else. Everything has a price. It's only been 5 months since leaving but so far, I'm happy with the move. I cant wait for ski/snowboarding season to start. Until then, I'm enjoying mountain biking season!!:D

Evileyes

Established Member
Lived in San Diego for 5 years and loved it. The weather, atmosphere, and the hot chicks. Would have stayed but could not afford it. Real Estate is only part of the expense, everything else adds up as well. Living in Austin, Tx now. The atmosphere is the same, hot chicks running around, but the summers are hot and humid. I miss SoCal, wish I had the cash to stay.

Users who are viewing this thread