cam question for 5.0

bradass31

Established Member
just wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge about E303 and B303 cams from FR- which is better/pros and cons... just picked up an 88 GT, the car is basically stock 135000 miles on it and tired! going to do a engine swap down the road but wanted to wake it up a bit in the meantime. plus I didn't want to have clearence issues and thats another thing im not sure on- any input would be helpful! thanks!

4valvemach

Established Member
Well at 130k miles I think putting a $200 cam in it would be a waste of money.
Plus a new set of valve springs for the new cam so thats another $100-$200 down the drain.I would hold off on stuff like that and get things that can be swapped over to the new motor.

Things like=
catback exhaust
H or X pipe
Headers
cold air intake
gears
Intake manifold
etc,etc,etc

I would get the E303 because it has a good idle,less piston to valve problems,can pass emissions.Thats just the cam I would pick if it was my car.
Latemodel Restoration Supply - Mustang Parts, Chevy Truck Parts & Dodge Challenger Parts has a budget short block for $699.99 if your going to looking to just have a nice DD.They have every part for a fox body too my buddy has been ordering parts for his 89lx5.0 from them.

some other places to get motors from
Summit Racing - High Performance Car and Truck Parts | 800-230-3030
JEGS High Performance - Your source for Edelbrock MSD Holley Mr. Gasket Moroso
Coast High Performance - YOUR SOURCE FOR PURE HORSEPOWER & PERFORMANCE!
www.dssracing.com

Hope this helps you some
:beer:

Last edited:

Slupid091

Established Member
GEARSS!!!!!!! dropped a full second off my quarter mile time, with papers of before and after to prove it.

blownfox

Established Member
I did HCI at 150,000 miles and then a s trim at 180,000 miles, but I also did a compression and leak down test before both swap. 135,000 is not bad for for a 5.0 and all stock these cars seem pretty slow. An e-cam with 1:7 rockers (my friend had that set up on a stock longblock and it sounded good). You really are not going to see a lot of performance off of a cam swap. 4valvemach and slupid091 are correct. items like gears, exhaust, cai, short belt is a good place to start.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
Definately the E cam ove the B if that was your only choice. I had an E in my old notch and it sounded good and made really great power with an S-Trim.

The thing about the "letter" cams, is that they are pretty dated and there are so many better off the shlf cams out there now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOpvK0DQFvo"]YouTube - 88LX Notch Idle[/ame]

Last edited:

bradass31

Established Member
thanks guys- the car already has an intake, H with cats back to a mac cat back i belive, and 373's. realisticly i wont be building the new motor for a while (probably wont have it done for 3-5 years) so thats why i was thinking a cam swap might wake her up a bit-

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
A good intake manifold will help ya more than a cam will. My car shaved a 3 tenths off I think with a intake swap and it was a little big for stock heads and cam.

bradass31

Established Member
no- the only reason i was looking into the E or B 303 was because i know that a lot of people run them so I figured they are a good cam to use- I started thinking also, if i end up going with the E303- will i have timing issues or do the 5.0's take pretty good to them? also as far as emissions go the car passed and runs really clean- does anyone know if an E303 or somthing similar will enable it to pass state emissions? thanks guys!

4valvemach

Established Member
no- the only reason i was looking into the E or B 303 was because i know that a lot of people run them so I figured they are a good cam to use- I started thinking also, if i end up going with the E303- will i have timing issues or do the 5.0's take pretty good to them? also as far as emissions go the car passed and runs really clean- does anyone know if an E303 or somthing similar will enable it to pass state emissions? thanks guys!

Yes the E303 will pass emissions test something bigger will harder to pass.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I have cam question too.

I plan on doing a cam this year and I decided i'm going with an F cam b/c of this vid. It has the perfect lope and sound that I want.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti4ht1TcpWY&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - My 1993 Mustang LX[/ame]

My questions are:

Is he on 302 block by chance?

If so, stock intake? heads?

1.6 or 1.7 rockers?

Do I need to upgrade valve springs, pistons, rods, or will I be fine on stock block besides the rockers which I know I have to upgrade?

If not on 302 block what block do you think he's using?

Stang Lover

Established Member
Definately the E cam ove the B if that was your only choice. I had an E in my old notch and it sounded good and made really great power with an S-Trim.

The thing about the "letter" cams, is that they are pretty dated and there are so many better off the shlf cams out there now.

YouTube - 88LX Notch Idle

What rims are those and where'd you buy them and how much?

Stang Lover

Established Member

Ahh I see.

B cam IMO.

spike_africa

Established Member
I have cam question too.

I plan on doing a cam this year and I decided i'm going with an F cam b/c of this vid. It has the perfect lope and sound that I want.

YouTube - My 1993 Mustang LX

My questions are:

Is he on 302 block by chance?

If so, stock intake? heads?

1.6 or 1.7 rockers?

Do I need to upgrade valve springs, pistons, rods, or will I be fine on stock block besides the rockers which I know I have to upgrade?

If not on 302 block what block do you think he's using?

You don't pick a cam based on sound that is retarded. If you go to large with a cam you can actully make the car a lot slower. Pick a cam that works best with your combo not what sounds "cool" to you.

Stang Lover

Established Member
You don't pick a cam based on sound that is retarded. If you go to large with a cam you can actully make the car a lot slower. Pick a cam that works best with your combo not what sounds "cool" to you.

Hmm i'll that into consideration...

So what's a good cam for a daily driver?

blownfox

Established Member
I dd the TFS 1 cam for a long time. I like it, but the next cam i get will be custom.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Ahh.

It's just gonna be a street car. I'm torn between 306 and 347 and I don't wanna go past 600HP with a turbo 500HP is good enough for me N/A or F/I.

What's the ups and downs of the 306 and 347 and which is better in the long run for a build? It'll be N/A for a while though. I heard the 306's rev pretty high.

spike_africa

Established Member
well 500 on a stock 302 block is max even then you might split it down the middle. 306 vs 347 are totally different beasts. One I would spin higher (306) with boost, the 347 I would spray the shit out of since you can't spin it as high. Of course for most power always go with more CI.

Users who are viewing this thread