cam question for 5.0

Stang Lover

Established Member
Hmm might have to go the 306 route. How much are the 306 stroker kits now-a-days and where's the best place to get one?

tcstang17

Established Member
For the cam question i've had both E303 and B303. Id definitely go with the B thats what i have in now and it sounds amazing as well as performs amazing. If your looking to pass emissions though id definitely stay with the E. If your going to go with an aftermarket cam stay with your 1.6 rockers because the extra lift as well as an upgraded ratio will definitely cause problem with stock pistons. As far as the stroker engine question, 331's are relatively cheap and offer more horsepower than the 347 as well as more engine life because the wrist pin isnt up in the ring lands. you may be missing out on 20 ft-lbs of torque but a 331 will last a long time compared to a 347. Try enginekits.com or themustangdepot.com they have some really good deals and can answer a lot of questions. :burnout:

Stang Lover

Established Member
Thanks man! I'll keep these sites in mind when I decide what I want to go with.

Also, what's a good cam to run with 1.7 rockers on a 302?

Last edited:

tcstang17

Established Member
you could probably get away with the E303 and 1.7s that would be a good combo to pass emissions testing but i would still check the clearances just for safe measures enjoy that extra power youll definitely notice it

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
331 I heard are more durable, reliable, longer lasting than 347 for DD street car. just what in heard.

It's nonsense, dont get caught up in that BS.

There is no reason to build to a smaller engine, especially since they cost the same. BTW, Nice Fox.

blownfox

Established Member
It's nonsense, dont get caught up in that BS.

There is no reason to build to a smaller engine, especially since they cost the same. BTW, Nice Fox.

+1 i think the earlier 347 had wrist pin issues and that should no longer be a problem.

Last edited:

youngone

I hate ugly people
Established Member
What sets them apart? That's what I really want to know.

Real simple 16 cubic inches. Now it dosent sound like much, but it's simple, more CI, more power. A properly set up 347 will out run a 331 any day of the week providing you dont choke it and screw up the cam and valve train. That means no FMS letter cams and 165-85 heads.

Meaning you cant build a 347 with the ever so popular b-303 cam, AFR 165 heads and junk valve train parts and expect to be the fastest around

As far as the R:S ratio, I urge you to look at R:S ratio's of different motors such as 351 based strokers, BBC 454 etc. and tell me why R:S ratio is never discussed or mentioned with those motors but is all of a sudden a problem with the 347.

331 revs higher??? Bullshit. The 347 can and will rev just as high or higher as a 331 but guys throw inferior heads,cams, and valve train parts on the motors and expect to turn it to the moon and when it dosent it's the motors fault...no it's not...it's yours.

There have been plenty of 347's that were built using a 5.4 rod that dont smoke and have been driven thousands of miles without a problem. If its a real concern buy the kit that has the 5.315 rod which also uses the 31 piston and be done with it.

Like I said, they both cost the same so why build a smaller motor.

blownfox

Established Member
Yep, so which would you build??

I already have a S-trim with a trick flow top end kit on my car, so the Boss 347 with a custom cam would be the best option.:banana: But I'mstuck between a dart block or the Boss block but which ever one I choose it will most likely be the 347.

From what I hear Woody is the man at Fordstrokers.com. That why I'm leading towards the Boss block.

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Is this 'boss' block the traditional 69/70 Boss 302 block?

I'm familiar with that motor/block, but not sure if that's the one you guys are referring too.

Users who are viewing this thread