Camera Gurus

punchit

Established Member
Hello all, first off im jealous of all these awesome photos that you take with your DSLR's (mind you i have no idea was dslr means) Anyway Im looking for a reccomendation on a good camera. My wife and I use a crappy cannon point and shoot but are going to be traveling and need a better camera. Our end goal is to frame pictures that we take for our house. We have about 900 to spend including the body and lense. Want something good enough for quite a while as I normally buy something crappy and regret not buying the nicer one. Can anyone give some input? Ive done a lot of research but there is SOOOO many different options.

SVT Wylde

The Accountant
Established Member
I have a 60D and I like it a lot. If I was just starting out I would buy the Canon T4i with the 18-135STM lens. You can get it right now for $865 bucks. It's a great starter camera with plenty of features you can grow into. When you get into shooting and learn what you want, you can buy a prime, wide angle, or longer telephoto lens later.

That's if your a Canon guy. Nikon makes great cameras as well but I'm not familiar with them. You can't go wrong with either one.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Digital single-lens reflex :beer: I bought the canon rebel t1i for my wife and I when that came out and we are happy with it.

punchit

Established Member
Thank you for the replys so far i appreciate everything. How about night shooting, Will any camera of this quality capture it correctly?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Canon or Nikon. Personally I am a Nikon fan. you can get a D5100 for about 800 bucks camera with lense from Adorama or BHPhotovideo.com but you can't go wron with either one.

SaleenSpeed

Stock Block Rockin
Established Member

What he said. The 60D kicks a lot of ass for the money. You can also grab a body only set like this and buy a better lense like this 40mm Canon Pancake Lens at B&H Photo Video. I would have started with a fixed lense like this rather than a cheaper zoom lense to learn if I could do it over.

Also consider going to Best Buy or another retail store and hold some canons and nikons and see which ones you like. Good luck, you really can't go wrong these days if ya have a budget like yours to start.

punchit

Established Member
Now is the cannon 60D that myblackgt posted a fixed lense? or can i swap out the lenses on that one or is it fixed? Just for the future of course. So the first link appears to be cheaper then the one you posted saleen. Can you elaborate in lamens terms Saleenspeed? sorry im stuck on duh

myblackgt

MPG LOL
Established Member
Now is the cannon 60D that myblackgt posted a fixed lense? or can i swap out the lenses on that one or is it fixed? Just for the future of course. So the first link appears to be cheaper then the one you posted saleen. Can you elaborate in lamens terms Saleenspeed? sorry im stuck on duh

Every DSLR that I know of has interchangeable lenses. I've got 3 lenses for my Nikon D3000

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member

Saleenspeed misspoke. He's referring to a "prime" lens, a lens with a fixed focal length. Not a "fixed" lens, as in not removable.

Prime lenses are good, and tend to be sharper, but can be frustrating for beginners because the only way to "zoom" is with your feet. The best "cheap" lens I've used is the 28-135, which was the kit lens on my 40D. I'm not sure if you can get it in a kit now, but it's a worthy upgrade to the 18-55 they slap on most bodies.

At your price point, your options are all good. As posted before, go to the big box store and figure out which one fits your hands. Once you buy into a brand, if you get serious, you'll probably be stuck with that brand for a while.

SaleenSpeed

Stock Block Rockin
Established Member
I remember all the photog jargon making my head spin at first as well, punchit. I Agree with Hybred's explanation above. You aren't stuck with one lens only on the 60D, you can switch out the lens to any EF of EF-S mount compatible lens (look for that in the description of lenses you're looking at to know it will mount to your Canon DSLR.

I also have the 28-135, great starter lens to cover your zoom range. Dunno that you'll be able to get one of those with your DSLR camera body and still stay in your budget. They should be cheap used at a camera shop though (also a good place to go to try out different lenses and have someone who knows what they're talking about show you, rather than a random employee at a chain electronics store).

Now I am not sure which link you're referring to being cheaper Punchit, but that amazon link posted about that includes the 18-55 will probably have sales tax applied also. One of my fav things about shopping at B&H is the lack of sales tax (for now at least). Hope this info clears things up a bit :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread