camshafts recommendation?

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
im looking to get cams for my 11 shelby. ive seen youtube videos of lethals company car but cant find any part listing on there website, ive also checked blow by racing. what would be the best cam for my setup?

current mods i have are...

Whipple 2.9 kit from lethal performance
72 lb injectors
Whipple 160mm Monoblade Throttle Body
Whipple 123mm Cold Air Intake
Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump
Afco Heat Exchanger with dual 10 inch fans
American Racing 1 7/8 longtube headers with catted midpipe

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
So how much HP are you making and what is your goal. I thought the 11 had the same cams has the GT. Totally different from the 10's and below. Good luck and can't wait to see the results. Somebody needs to make the HP/TQ of the TVS. I'm stuck with getting money straight for the Vette so the Shelby is done for a while lol.

JUST TRY 03

Established Member
i made 697 to the wheels with mine, ill be honest im mainly just getting cams for the sound. im not sure about the 11's with the GT cams. a buddy mine had GT cams installed in his 2010 GT and my car and his sound nothing alike

blacknlte

Established Member
Call Lethal and talk to Jared, not sure if they will tell you excatly what cams they have or spec. But they can get what you want!

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Yes, the 2011 came stock with the ford GT cams. I think all that is out there is the comp cams (stage 1, 2 and 3). Some companies may have had custom cams done. If I were doing cams, I would get in touch with MMR or Dan Schoonek (sp). There seems to be about 40whp with the big comps, but you'll need springs and ret. With the other stages you might get the sound without the need for springs and retainers, but obviously not the power.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Me personally I would look more for exhaust then cams. Just think they would be more of a hassle then what it's worth. Now by no means am I trying to suggest what you should do, but for reliabilty I would mess with the exhaust more so than the motor. I made 734 on Torco and pump gas but took out a little timing to make sure that I could get gas from anywhere and still left with 709. Besides I like the mellow tone and not the old school thump.

Good luck in whatever you do. I know my brother has comp cams in his car but for what he paid for the set up I think I could feed a small nation (well maybe a short block) but defintely not worth it to me lol. Good luck and get a sound clip when your done. Sure it will sound amazing.

Last edited:

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
I think cams are only worth the install when building a motor...

Ain't worth the cash to pull your stocker out to just put it right back in with cams.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The best cams we have found thus far are the Comp 106460 Supercharger grinds, our dyno tests have shown 39-42RWHP with just these and the MMR Valve Spring Kit. We keep them in stock and they are $1099.

We also have a full range of MMR custom cams including our famous Turbo cams for the gt500's.

Please let us know how we can help!

MMR

MMR%202010%20launch%202.jpg

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
im looking to get cams for my 11 shelby. ive seen youtube videos of lethals company car but cant find any part listing on there website, ive also checked blow by racing. what would be the best cam for my setup?

current mods i have are...

Whipple 2.9 kit from lethal performance
72 lb injectors
Whipple 160mm Monoblade Throttle Body
Whipple 123mm Cold Air Intake
Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump
Afco Heat Exchanger with dual 10 inch fans
American Racing 1 7/8 longtube headers with catted midpipe

We have custom grind cams in our car that were spec'd by Boss330 Racing and ground by Comp Cams. The Comp Stage 3 cams (106460) is a popular cam choice for the 4.6L and 5.4L DOHC engines. There are gains to be had, definitely, but it's definitely one of the most expensive mods ($$$/HP ratio) to do on the GT500's as the engine has to come out in order to do the install. If you have any questions, let us know and we'll be glad to help you out.

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the engine has to come out in order to do the install.

We realize you guys may not do as many of these GT500 cam installs as we do but the engine does not need to come out to change cams or springs , we just want to make sure that the correct information is being put out there. :beer:

Here are some pics from a recent install at our facility:

GT%20500%20cam%203.jpg

GT%20500%20cam%202.jpg

GT%20500%20cam%201.jpg

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
We realize you guys may not do as many of these GT500 cam installs as we do but the engine does not need to come out to change cams or springs , we just want to make sure that the correct information is being put out there. :beer:

Here are some pics from a recent install at our facility:

GT%20500%20cam%203.jpg

GT%20500%20cam%202.jpg

GT%20500%20cam%201.jpg

I understand that as I've done a similar R&R in a driveway, but most shops will not do it the way you guys do it and will charge customers to drop the engine to do a cam install. Not only is it easier for the tech, but parts don't get scratched up when you are maneuvering them though the tight spaces.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
So what is the charge to do the cam swap motor in and motor out? Gives people an idea what to expect when they start to do their research.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
To give you an idea we charge $1800 in the car (as we have pictured above) and $2800 removing the engine. We dont consider our rates to be cheap but our attention to detail and quality of work is next to none and includes a warranty. Other shops/dealers may vary but this our currrent rate. Hope this info helps those that may be considering a cam swap!

MMR

Steve@BAS

Established Member
If I remember the article correctly Justin at VMP did a cam install in MM&FF 2 or 3 months ago and he left the engine in the car. But don't quote me!

mobeydick

Established Member
If I remember the article correctly Justin at VMP did a cam install in MM&FF 2 or 3 months ago and he left the engine in the car. But don't quote me!

I think it actually stated he took the engine out. It can be done with the engine in place but it's easier to drop it about 2"s. There are a few special tools you will need. If you go bigger then the Ford GT cams you will need to change the springs, more special tools!

Dan Schoneck

Established Member
As far as the motor is taken down, it would take a maximum of 1.5 hours to undo xhuast, drive shaft, shifter and lift car off motor. Much easier to work on then also. In 2.5 hours I can have a whole motor/trans out of a car on my lift in my shop. Plus don't you gotta lower motor to get the drivers side valve cover off? or take the booster off or loose? Its not all that much fun leaning over a car and doing stuff for hours on end.

I have got some bullet cams im doing with a couple different customers, i will let you all know how they turn out soon. One is a ford lightning with a gt500 motor in it.

Users who are viewing this thread