Can a factory head gasket leak oil without being blown?

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
Car is in my sig... Ive got a small amount of seepage coming from the head gasket on the drivers side almost dead center of the motor under the exhaust manifold... i didnt think anything of it because it was so minute it never even dripped... well if i give it a hard takeoff, you can now start to smell it burning off on the exhaust i guess.. (i guess thats how i smell it?) Anyways.... The car runs fantastic... there is no water in the oil and vice versa.. so i dont think the head gasket is blown... just.. possibly loose? Is that even possible being a factory head gasket on 87k miles?

pbeechner

Established Member
Car is in my sig... Ive got a small amount of seepage coming from the head gasket on the drivers side almost dead center of the motor under the exhaust manifold... i didnt think anything of it because it was so minute it never even dripped... well if i give it a hard takeoff, you can now start to smell it burning off on the exhaust i guess.. (i guess thats how i smell it?) Anyways.... The car runs fantastic... there is no water in the oil and vice versa.. so i dont think the head gasket is blown... just.. possibly loose? Is that even possible being a factory head gasket on 87k miles?

My car has a slight head gasket oil leak at the back of the passenger side head. Same as you, no water in the oil or vice versa, although I don't smell oil when I stand on it. My car also has 206,000 miles on the original engine...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
of course it would be the driver side thats harder to get to...I suppose you could try retorquing the head.

sure its not somehow running down from the valve cover?

for whatever its worth, I had coolant coming out between the head and block on my lightning and it was a blown head gasket (it caused me problems though, it would get an occasional air bubble from this and try to over heat).

BlackVenom99

Established Member
Yes, even though there's a few well known people on here that say these head gaskets never have issues. I actually had the seepage on my driver side within about an inch or less of where you describe at about 110K miles. It was fine and dandy till about 135K miles when it let loose at cylinder 5 and would just pour coolant out of the gasket...I appreciated all the "know it all" people that said it was nothing and it was fine...lol
It was a stock 99 at the time.

I would suggest if it's what happened to me then you save up for the just in case and keep an eye on it.

Michaelslilgray

I need more gas...
Established Member
What i dont understand about this situation... is if it was a failed head gasket... how was the oil jacket the piece that failed... the oil system isnt under THAT much pressure... if it was weak you would think it would fail somewhere more stressfilled.

warpd

Established Member
Had my pass. side head leak oil about a year ago and now my driver's side is doing the same thing. I've heard a lot of people say the head gaskets on these cars don't fail, but that is not true from my personal experience.

Users who are viewing this thread