Can anybody make sense of this?

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
So, here's my predicament. The first time I took the fox to the track, it was losing spark past 5500 RPM's (stock ignition was topped out). So, shifting at 5000 RPM's, and even throwing it into 5th (overdrive) for the last 100 yards, the best I ran was a 12.2 @ 112.

I throw an MSD into the car that solves the ignition cutout problem. I go back to the track expecting 11's. I'm shifting the car at 6000 RPM's and not using 5th gear, the best the car ran was a 12.3 @ 119. That's a tenth slower from when the car wasn't running correctly.

Now here are the real predicaments:
This time (when the car was running like it should and not cutting out past 5500 RPM's and not using 5th):
1. My reaction times were quicker (0.3 last time, 0.3 this time).
2. My 60' times were better (2.0 last time, 1.9 this time).
3. My MPH went from 112 to 119.

BUT my ET was slower! The best the car ran tonight was a 12.3, the best I ran last time shifting early and having to use 5th gear I ran a 12.2.

I tried running the car to 5000 RPM's like I did last time but maxing out 4th gear and not using 5th and STILL ran a 12.3.

There was a guy in my club there running 11.8's all night (2013 5.0 modded) and I ran him the last 2 passes and I would reel him in HARD (make up about 2 car lengths after the launch and be at his bumper at the finish line). His 60' time was 1.7 I believe.

So, my trap speed was much faster, yet my ET was slower, even thought I had a batter reaction time, 60' time, I could shift at 6000 RPM's, and didn't have to use 5th gear.

WTF is up with this?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Reaction time does not affect ET or trap so don't even worry about that.

Both lanes?

Almost seems like a timing system issue.

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member
Reaction time does not affect ET or trap so don't even worry about that.

Both lanes?

Almost seems like a timing system issue.

Yep. I went in both the left lane and the right lane.

I'm actually comparing my times now and my 8th mile was consistently half a second faster from the first time, but the quarter mile is a tenth slower. It's gotta be something on the top end then.

BLK93GT

Established Member
It's in need of a tune that's for sure. A/F ratio is 10.4 at WOT. She's running super rich.

Get a laptop and BE! :)

I am not sure where you could be losing the time, I would have to look at my slips from when I ran it. I think 12.2 was my worst pass and 11.91 was my best. Worst trap 120, best 123.5

Users who are viewing this thread