Can I get some opinions?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
My cobra sees under 1000 miles of driving a year. The oil currently in the crankcase has sat through 2 hot Florida summers in the garage but only has 1500 miles of driving. Should I put fresh in?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Mine had synthetic with less than 500 miles on it when I bought it a few months go. It was last changed 18 months previous so I felt like I was riding around in dirty underwear. Didn't want my car to get swamp arse (although the oil looked new).

My feeble opinion, formed by years of misinformation, conjecture, old wive's tales, and fake news is if you take short trips in it and park it then you might want to change it. Cheap insurance. If you drive it longer distances when you take it out you're less likely to be brewing whatever it is my favorite mechanic told me I was brewing in there.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
My cobra sees under 1000 miles of driving a year. The oil currently in the crankcase has sat through 2 hot Florida summers in the garage but only has 1500 miles of driving. Should I put fresh in?

Yes, regardless of miles, it needs to be changed every year.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I change the oil every year in both mine. Neither see much over 1000 miles per year.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Nissan recommends that you change your oil every 6 months if not driven a lot. That's what I go by.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If you really want to know you can send for an oil analysis (not very expensive) and they can tell you what oil change interval is good for the oil you use in the way you drive. I'd probably change it every year. I change mine every fall before storage so it sits with fresh oil not contaminated.
-J

CV355

_
Established Member
Changing oil at a regular interval regardless of mileage is a good practice. Look up "Carboxylic Acid Degradation." Any use adds to contamination. Unless you change the oil and do not run the motor (totally different issue), the chemical breakdown will be occurring. Humidity/moisture buildup add to this.

I have never hit the "annual average mileage" in any vehicle I own, and I usually go 6-9mo between oil changes regardless of mileage. I just make sure the oil is topped off and I get a good heat cycle in now and then (my commute is 3 miles, not enough to hit full operating temps)

Users who are viewing this thread