Can the 5.4 be primed prior to taking out of storage?

49NorthVert

Established Member
Hi, I just purchased a 2012 GT500 SVTPP vert. It will be stored now until May but I wanted to ask whether you guys know what the trick is to "spin" the motor over to prime internal oil pressure after 6 months of winter storage. I know how to do this on my SVO and my 2008 C6 ( just mat the accelerator press the start switch and it will not fire but will turn over yet the oil pressure gauge indicates a pressure increase). The Ford service tech I just called said it can't be done maybe so but I wanted to come to you guys for a second opinion being owners. Certainly some gravity drain even with synthetic occurs over a 1/2 year period. It would make me feel better (for us in winter climes) to know that we have the ability to disconnect a plug or something to build oil pressure back up in our 500's some before firing them up come spring. Thanks in advance.

bloomy63

Established Member
On my '08 I just press the pedal to the floor and hit the key like you said above, I'm not sure if it works on the '12 though.

6-Speed

Established Member
I do the same on my 2007 GT500 to prime the oil; it just cranks the motor without any ignition. I take the extra step to put it in neutral ... just in case.

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
theres also a plug you can unplug that will reach the battery terminal that you can unplug and touch to the battery terminal that will turn the motor but not let it fire.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
IIRC holding the pedal to the floor shuts the injectors from providing fuel only.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Shouldn't be a problem, the autostart is suppose to kick out after 5 seconds. Pin the pedal to the floor and you should be good. If it doesn't stop after 5 seconds turn key back to off and it will break the circuit disengaging the starter.

POPPAJ

Established Member
I've heard that cranking speed doesn't supply much or any oil pressure on a modular motor.
Can the experts confirm or deny?

steeltoe

Established Member
On any EFI car(even OBD-1 cars) holding the pedal to the floor puts the car in flood mode and shuts off the fuel injectors.

einehund

Established Member
I've heard that cranking speed doesn't supply much or any oil pressure on a modular motor.
Can the experts confirm or deny?

In my old '02 GT, I just cranked until the oil pressure went up. maybe 10-15 seconds... I don't remember really.

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
I was warned about this before I completed my build. I still filled everything I could, spun the motor for ever seemed like with the plugs out, pulled the filter, back filled the in and out of the filter mount, etc. and still never got the first indication the the motor would pump up. Finally I just started it and, just like they said, it took about 30 seconds and the needle finally came up. I way overused assy lube cause, like I said, I had a heads up that this would happen. If there's a way, I couldn't find it lol. That was a very tense 30 seconds!

Users who are viewing this thread