Can the GT350's be supercharged? Or any type of forced induction?

OKShelby

I think they are 12.0:1 compression ratio? If so I would think it wold be doubtful. But I figured that maybe KB and Whipple might be working on something? Or turbo's maybe?

10splaya22

Established Member
You can do anything you want with enough money. You can definitely run boost but not as much as the GT500's or cobras due to the comp ratio. It will have to be seen how much they can handle but 6 psi seems like a decent estimate.

OKShelby

I would bet that they response extremely well to E85 and Spray

True, but E85 is still pretty scarce around here. I did read a story that the NHTSA was considering making the default 'regular' octane level 95. They are testing it. Saying it makes cars more efficient because they can run higher compression ratios and use less gas. Of course that will take several years to finally approve and put into effect. I'm so tired of 87-91 octane. Guess I could just get a tank at my home and keep some high octane gas in it? I'd sure like to be able to spank a Hellcat in it, then take it to the local road coarse for the day.

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
These motors aren't built for FI but should respond very well to headers/tune. They took a lot of material off to make it lightweight and that's not something you really want with a blower application.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I would be curious if there is any sort of impact to engine harmonics, and if there is a reduction in long term durability because of it? We know Ford spent a significant amount of time addressing these inherent issues of the FPC, and I would expect any sort of addition to have an effect.

Only the powertrain guys from Ford could answer that one. The aftermarket would never conduct such a study. If they did, we all know what the results would be.

Last edited:

bpmurr

Established Member
If you want to run FI the GT350 isn't your car. Just buy a GT and go to town.

Last edited:

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Initially I thought this would be a great motor for FI. However after reading and seeing videos on Ford going into detail on how the motor was designed, I wouldn't dare try any FI with this car. The block, crank, rods, and pistons were designed to be a pure high revving N/A car. Knowing this, if you put a blower on this car, I think you'd just be asking for it at that point.

But, I'd still love to see someone try it regardless.

bpmurr

Established Member
Initially I thought this would be a great motor for FI. However after reading and seeing videos on Ford going into detail on how the motor was designed, I wouldn't dare try any FI with this car. The block, crank, rods, and pistons were designed to be a pure high revving N/A car. Knowing this, if you put a blower on this car, I think you'd just be asking for it at that point.

But, I'd still love to see someone try it regardless.

Oh people will and I'll be ready with my :pop:

Mach828

Established Member
Once the aftermarket companies develop full exhaust systems, large intakes, and an aftermarket intake manifold. With a tune and e85 I bet we will see GT350s break the 600rwhp mark NA.

I don't think the GT350 is going to survive well boosted. Make power, sure. Plus that is going to be one pricey engine to replace when she lets go. Better off picking up a GT with an auto if you want to go fast in a straight line, and throwing a TVS on it.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
Once the aftermarket companies develop full exhaust systems, large intakes, and an aftermarket intake manifold. With a tune and e85 I bet we will see GT350s break the 600rwhp mark NA.

I don't think the GT350 is going to survive well boosted. Make power, sure. Plus that is going to be one pricey engine to replace when she lets go. Better off picking up a GT with an auto if you want to go fast in a straight line, and throwing a TVS on it.

interesting you mention TVS after reading your sig. low end torque advantage I guess. I'm thinking if I pick up a GT I'd go centri or turbo to change things up after years of twin screws.

Mach828

Established Member
interesting you mention TVS after reading your sig. low end torque advantage I guess. I'm thinking if I pick up a GT I'd go centri or turbo to change things up after years of twin screws.
I love my centri. It is amazing on a road course and never gets hot, it is always consistent.

Mine is faster than my friends' turbo and PD blower 4.6s at similar power levels. And I have less torque and less boost. If I had a GT coyote I'd run an auto with a high stall and novi blower paired with a wastegate.

OKShelby

The point is I want both. If I just want to go fast in a straight line I'll stick with the Hellcat. But I want something I can take to the road coarse also and the Hellcats are pigs and under-tired although they are finding some tricks to get to 305's and I've heard of one 315 in the rear. But still, they weigh too much and no one makes an aftermarket suspension yet (*yet*). I'm sure the tire issue and suspension issue will be addressed, but they will never get over the 700lbs of extra weight to be competitive with the GT350. I wonder if the local road coarse club has a piggy class...lol, for cars that weigh a minimum of 4400lbs. Guess I can drive the Hellcat and trade it in on a GT500 next year. Just bums me out though, I had such high hopes for the GT350 (that I could get 700+ hp out of it) and have both drag fun and road race fun.

Para81

Established Member
If you want to run FI the GT350 isn't your car. Just buy a GT and go to town.

Why on earth would someone even talk about adding a supercharger to a 526 hp engineering masterpiece is mind boggling. Mustang owners aren't always the brightest.

Last edited:

rwboring

Established Member
The point is I want both. If I just want to go fast in a straight line I'll stick with the Hellcat. But I want something I can take to the road coarse also and the Hellcats are pigs and under-tired although they are finding some tricks to get to 305's and I've heard of one 315 in the rear. But still, they weigh too much and no one makes an aftermarket suspension yet (*yet*). I'm sure the tire issue and suspension issue will be addressed, but they will never get over the 700lbs of extra weight to be competitive with the GT350. I wonder if the local road coarse club has a piggy class...lol, for cars that weigh a minimum of 4400lbs. Guess I can drive the Hellcat and trade it in on a GT500 next year. Just bums me out though, I had such high hopes for the GT350 (that I could get 700+ hp out of it) and have both drag fun and road race fun.

OK, I'll bite... you've had 4 posts on this site and at minimum 2 have mentioned the hellcat... if you want to go fast in a straight line and curves pick up a used GT500 and put a little money into mods instead of buying a GT350 and putting FI on it and you would beat your famed hellcat in a straight line and blow it away in the curves and have a motor that can handle it without a problem.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
I am pretty sure that this motor will handle boost well. It has to have a very strong rotating assembly to handle the high revs. Ferrari and lambs are high reving na motors with fpc and handle boost extremely well on stock internals...

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I don't see what you can't boost this motor. Higher compression means you'll run lower boost to more or less equal similar power as a motor with low compression and higher boost. Myself, I'd just do full exhaust/tune and be more than happy.

krt22

Established Member
I don't see what you can't boost this motor. Higher compression means you'll run lower boost to more or less equal similar power as a motor with low compression and higher boost. Myself, I'd just do full exhaust/tune and be more than happy.

They are going to have extremely low ring tension to allow the engine to rev so high. Add more cylinder pressure and you are just asking for blow by. Im guessing these are going to consume a little oil even in fully stock form

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
wonder how many gear heads like myself were a little upset not being offered a power adder in the new gt350 which as we all know is always fun for ease of after market simple stupid power increases like the last 3 generations of Shelby's/Cobra's. Its interesting how Ferrari, BMW and now Mercedes are going turbo's while Audi and Lambo (same thing really) are still holding on the NA v10/v12's motors on there flag since super cars. Ford is kind of doing the reverse which is just weird. Not saying this new GT350 motor isn't bad ass just saying what was so enjoyable about the last cobra's were the ability to make retarded power with a tune and pulley.. Oh well at least we have an IRS back in the mustangs only took 12+ years, guess we cant have both lol And for the guys they say "its a track car" whoopy due we are aloud to bitch since there are many of us that would have loved to have this same car with a blower from the factory. When you've had 600+ rwhp stock you don't want to go backwards.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread