Can the GT350's be supercharged? Or any type of forced induction?

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
You need larger injectors to control fuel at higher RPM versus the same power at lower RPM. The injectors have to be able to deliver adequate fuel in a smaller timespan. I think that's what was being referenced.

The FPC with this high of displacement will likely present issues due to vibrations from a supercharger. Turbos shouldn't cause that issue as far as I can tell. Vibrations are going to be one area that we're just not going to know about until people start changing things. Ford apparently spent a LOT of time making sure that vibrations were down on this motor though. It wasn't too terribly easy from what I've read either.

Now, as far as piston speeds and rod length, I think you're overlooking a big part of the potential issue saying that this is "just a Coyote with a FPC". I basically agree with you in that description, but using a FPC completely changes things. You're comparing a FPC V8 that's pushing the limits of maximum functioning size to a CPC V8 that could easily go to almost double the displacement without any hat tricks. Piston speeds, and pressures acting on them at those speeds, are going to be apples to oranges with FPC and CPC V8s.

It's already been said a billion times that much of the factory hardware isn't going to be boost friendly, but to reiterate my biggest personal concerns:

Light weight rotating assembly including the crank itself (light weight meaning materials have been removed to make them lighter)

Low tension piston rings (I really don't get why this alone doesn't make people think twice about FI on this motor)

Hollow intake and sodium filled exhaust valves (not always a problem, but can definitely be with bigger FI power numbers)

Transmission built for high RPM NA power, smooth shifting, and light weight. It's not built for huge torque figures, so that may or may not be a bad thing (something besides the motor to think about)

You could custom build the engine if big FI numbers are what you want. At that point, it just seems silly to buy this particular car when you could make more safe power with a much cheaper one, and with less work.

Remember that the rotating assembly will be significantly lighter because that's just a byproduct of a fpc. It doesn't have counter weights. Ford is pushing that hard for marketing I think. In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if the rods were heavier than the boss rods same goes for pistons. Vibration could be an issue with rots blowers. Although the vortech blowers on the coyote use the oem damper. Not sure if it adds harmonics or not but I wouldn't think so. As for the fuel. Id1000 fuel injectors work fine at high rpm. I don't see why anyone will use id2000 on the stock internals.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I'm firing from the hip, so I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the engineers stated that the pistons and rods were lighter at the press release.

The crank has also been gun drilled to lighten it further. This may not be an issue with added pressure, but I'm thinking it's likely if you're pushing enough boost to make the cost of adding FI worth your while.

Last edited:

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
I think that people are looking at this engine as an incredible complex and untouchable mystical creature.
It's been this way with every single major piece of tech that's come out. I remember when EEC-IV was going away and everyone was gnashing teeth and said it was the end of home tuning forever. I've largely stayed out of this because everyone already knows everything about this engine that hasn't really been on the street yet. I have little doubt it will be a race to get 1000HP from this thing - what the car is """"designed for"""" doesn't matter at all.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I have little doubt it will be a race to get 1000HP from this thing - what the car is """"designed for"""" doesn't matter at all.

You're exactly right, and what someone does with their car is their business. They can rip out the interior, remove all the downforce generating aero, sell the carbon fiber wheels for some slicks and front runners, exchange the trunk lid for a spoilerless one, put lighter drag brakes on it, etc. to make it a full on drag racing only setup. It's not my car, so I don't care.

None of that changes the fact that there are some design elements that should throw up some red flags when it comes to forced induction being added. I'm sure it will be done, and probably soon. I'm sure they'll eventually be rocking huge dyno sheets and roll racing with the likes of Supras. I'm thinking that there's going to have to be a couple of things changed for that to happen though. Most people that are interested in doing this aren't going to want to break into the motor to put a meaningful amount of boost into it. I'm really afraid that that may have to happen sooner than the average person is going to want to tackle it.

I'm not somebody that's going to tell somebody else what to do to their car because it's what I would do. I'm just saying that I'm skeptical of this engine handling much boost in stock guise. Don't be a guinea pig if you're not willing to bet it all on black, or you have a nice chunk of money to burn if something does go wrong.

johnny-longtors

Haikeeba!
Established Member
Most people that are interested in doing this aren't going to want to break into the motor to put a meaningful amount of boost into it.
lol - well, hope they have a garage floor that oil cleans up easily from...
I'm just saying that I'm skeptical of this engine handling much boost in stock guise.
For sure - no doubt about that.

Users who are viewing this thread