Can we hear some good stories about level 5's

doubleblack

Established Member
I know people have always broken them since they were introduced, but for the most part they seemed like pretty strong pieces and people still bought them. But lately there's been a few that have posted breakages especially those bran new ones...has anyone broken them on the street or always at a prepped track?

Can we hear from those that love them and of your experiences w/ them.

Was seriously considering these, but maybe I'll save my money and take them off the list...

Venimus03

Established Member
A bunch of the guys in the MACA have had great experiences with the IRS. Few of them left lifting both front two wheels off the ground. Some have had best 60''s of 1.38...
JRS Blown Snake
03_36-2.jpg

Hissssnsvt
KenNATS.jpg

MustangThief

Established Member
I plan to build the IRS eventually... for now, the IRS brace will suffice.

Eventually however, I think the red pill is a definite answer to those weary of breaking the IRS.

To me, swapping out for a solid, you may drop weight, and have a bulletproof rearend, but you're spending nearly as much as a built IRS, and losing the ride quality of the IRS, as well as losing one of the few aspects that makes the terminator, a terminator.

doubleblack

Established Member
I've done half a dozen installs and none of my customers came back to bitch
fwiw

SG, what's your experiences w/ maintaining them? I hear boots torn, bearing shot...

Some say you can't just install and walk away from them...they need some TLC which is lame, if true...

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I've done half a dozen installs and none of my customers came back to bitch
:shrug: Surprising to hear this coming from one of the biggest DSS haters on here, and I quote:
DSS axles eat the hubs because DSS is not really sure of what they're doing.

You can bust a whole bunch of stockers before breaking even on the Lvl5 setup, and people are running low 10s on sticky tires without breaking.

Stockers for the big win.
:poke:

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
ive had mine for about a year after breaking a stock shaft the guy who owned the car before me broke one as well im not quite sure why he didnt build it then...maybe thats why he traded it in anyways... ive made numerous 1.7 60's and 4500 launches on dr's and havent had a problem i picked irs b/c i hated the way my gt bottomed out when i hit bumps the roads suck down here irs rides 100% smoother now all i worry about is the exhaust scraping :thumbsup:

GodStang

Established Member
Who in the hell broke the brand new Chromoly lvl 5s????

For what its worth the guy at DSS is super nice.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Just becuase other people pay me to do something, doesn't mean I do it wrong, and it doesnt mean I would run them on my car...

I removed and sold the level 2 setup I had.

I'll take your money and install your parts, but I'll also warn you of the consequences of your choices. If you still want me to do the job, well, then, thats your problem now. :shrug:

:shrug: Surprising to hear this coming from one of the biggest DSS haters on here, and I quote::poke:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
None of the cars I installed them on has come back to me for anything. At least two cars were sold, and on one install I just changed over the cv joints and hubs, while the owner did the rest.

The level 2 setup I had kept tearing the inner boot, and after the 2nd time I removed and sold them.

I try and discourage people from buying them, but hey its their money not mine. There's a whole handful of mods that are really popular for these cars but nobody can prove that they actually do anything they're supposed to do.

SG, what's your experiences w/ maintaining them? I hear boots torn, bearing shot...

Some say you can't just install and walk away from them...they need some TLC which is lame, if true...

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I thought they had some issues but that was all fixed? Well I'm ordering mine now anyways!:rockon:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Biggest waste of money mod IMO. If you break your stock shafts, then think about it, but until then, if it ain't broke then don't fix it. Just get rid of the hop and the stock shafts are fine 90% of the time.

-Jeff

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Sorry HISSMAN but getting ready for bigger things down the road!:lol: Kind of like having a complete fuel system for a ported Eaton. Oh well "wife" look I can get a Whipple and I don't need anything else.:lol::rockon: She said "do you need anything else with it?" NOPE!:beer:(modified FPDM that's all) Well when I can get true slicks now then it's hello rev-limiter side step!:rockon: So to me it's just bullet proofing or getting the car ready for the future without (hopefully) breaking anything along the way.

03yellow

Established Member
Broke my stock 1/2 shaft with no wheel hop.
I nailed 2nd and powww!
I attribute it to great track prep and sticky tires!

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
About 150 passes here and still going strong with them. I did mine for peace of mind. Back then I didn't have a trailer & witnessed too many break their stockers mainly from wheel hop on DR's. Had about a 100 passes with the stockers - no issues or breakage with them since I was running ET Streets back then - not those hard sidewall DR's. Now that I tow 'er to the track I probably would've stayed with the stockers and kept a spare in the truck.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
or you could just do a soild axle conv. and never have to worry about breaking axles again.

Not true - at this years MIR Ford fever event two solid axle guys broke that were pitted near me...so it does happen...and if most IRS cobras would use a soft sidewall tire for the track, I'd venture to say the half shaft carnage would decrease significantly..

Now I can't argue with the weight reduction a solid axle gives...:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread