Can we talk F250's for a second? (vs F150)

allister

Established Member
Hey folks! I am getting ready to trade in my 2012 F150 fx4 Ecoboost in for probably a 2017 F250 6.7 TD.

I love my F150 and would keep it much longer, but I have recently begun hauling a 16' cargo trailer, and when the trailer is full I am sad to say that we struggle a little. Also we go from average 16mg, to 8mpg when hauling.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me roughly what my new MPG would be with a f250, hauling and not hauling? I've never owned a Diesel in my life and only test drove once. I am very happy with the power. Any other major differences or things to consider? Seems like I can get a 2017 new or hardly any miles in the $55-$60k range.

Thanks in advance for any advice or input! I definitely need some reassurance before dropping this much dough on a truck I really don't know too much about.

_Snake_

Established Member
The 6.7 is a great engine and the new Superduty is at the top of it's class. Expect everything to be more expensive when compared to your F-150: fuel, maintenance (oil changes, tires, brakes, DEF, etc), and repairs will all cost more.

Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will chime in with fuel economy numbers, but they'll be better than 8 mpg (towing) and you'll barely notice the trailer behind you.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Better than 8mpg. The new onea make about 900 ftlbs and can haul ass for how big they are. You have def to worry about also. Powerstroke army is a good powerstroke diesel forum to check out.

08mojo

Established Member
At work, we have two 2015 F250s with the 6.7. When hauling similar trailers, they will get around 11-12mpg.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Your maintenance costs will probably triple and when something breaks, it's thousands not hundreds...

Just something to think about when you are trying to save on fuel/gas costs, but if you need the power to tow, then it doesn't matter.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I've got a '16 with less than 2k miles with the 6.7. Pulls like a dream.
Enclosed trailer, truck loaded with extra stuff, '13 Shelby inside, I'm getting 13-13.5 mpg. I rest the counter on take off last trip, drove 200+- miles, hiway city & hills and that's what it recorded.
That's pretty decent IMO for a 4 door 4WD truck pulling a load in the hilly Ozarks.

coposrv

Established Member
I'd keep the f150. You're going to have to pull a lot of miles to make the diesel worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allister

Established Member
I should probably mention we also live in Western PA. Lots of hills. I would love to keep the F150 but it struggles especially up the hills or else I would keep it, hate to get rid of it but would also hate to run it into the ground towing this thing haha.

KevSher20

Established Member
Your maintenance costs will probably triple and when something breaks, it's thousands not hundreds...

Just something to think about when you are trying to save on fuel/gas costs, but if you need the power to tow, then it doesn't matter.

Doesn't triple. And no, it doesn't cost thousands either. Get a warranty if you aren't mechanically inclined just like with any vehicle.

Change the fluids when you get it. Have it throughly checked like all used cars and have fun. They are huge differences than the gassers. I'm sitting a little over 600 rwhp with turbo, tune and deleted emissions. Unlike gas engines, when you turn up the hp, the gas mileage goes up. I can get about 20 to 22 highway if I can keep it around 60 lol but she does like to cruise about 85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicktoney

weeee
Established Member
We're mechanical people. I'd say we tow with that trailer around 10-12k miles per year and it just seems beating the little f150 is going to take a toll sooner than later. And we'd like a vehicle that can tow, and last for years to come

7upstang

Established Member
Night and day difference between the F250 and F150. I was in your situation at one time, but I was pulling nearly 7 hours round trip once a week. I was knocking down around 14-15mpg in my 6.7 (Deleted and tuned) on back country roads doing between 65-70. I was pulling a 14 foot V nose trailer with roughly 4k pounds.

While the diesel is more expensive to maintain, the pulling and braking on the F250 were enough for me to make the switch. After pulling with the F150 for 7 hours, I was drained. Constantly fighting the wind and passing cars, people cutting me off coming to a stop. In a world where people think they own the road, the diesel just makes sense. At some point the money saved isn't worth the physical toll on my body at the end of the drive. Just my two cents.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My 2017 F-250 towed an open trailer with my Viper on it and averaged 12.7 for 300 miles. The truck has a 6" lift, 22" wheels and 37" tires. It averaged about 13.9 just driving.

I'm pulling the same trailer and car next Thursday with my 2017 F-350.

I would go with the 3.55 gears, the 3.31s are too tall for my liking.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
6.7's are super nice. Ive towed over 30k lbs of hay at the farm I worked at. Truck took it no problem, it's tuned and deleted though.
Just a thought, can't you tune those ecoboosts for more power? Or does it not do much?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
if you are buying a diesel f250 to "save money on gas" just stop right there. The mpg gain while towing is mere cents per mile while the total cost of ownership with the f250 will be tens of thousands $$$ more than the half ton.

in reality you will likely never recoup the purchase price, maintenance fuel and repairs for the diesel. The math doesnt work

cost delta between diesel f250 vs f150 is approximately $13k for equal trim levels

based on fuel cost alone (fuel at $2.00/gal)
8mpg = 25cents per mile
12mpg = 17cents per mile

so the diesel saves you 8 cents per mile while towing. In order to recoup your fuel cost you would need to drive 162,500 miles. When you factor increased insurance, maintenance, and repair cost for the diesel you can put that in the 250k realm.

The only reason to go with the diesel is power. If you're towing a ginormous 5th wheel camper or gooseneck heavy equipment trailer and want to do 75mph up a mountain then you want the diesel. If you want the diesel, then get it but dont convince yourself that there exist any economic justification for it.

the other option is if you own a small business which requires a truck then you can write off the entire cost of the f250 since it has a high enough GVWR to be considered commercial use.

jsquared_25

Established Member
Premium Member
We just got home from a 1000 mile round trip to Florida pulling my 42' 11,000lb fifth wheel and I averaged 11.5 mpg with my 15 6.7. My personal opinion is, DEF is really not that expensive and you should only have to add it around every oil change. I can change the oil myself for under $80 and change my fuel filters every 15k miles for around $60. Yes they are a little more expensive than a gas engine for regular maintenance, but not enough to break you by any means.

Users who are viewing this thread