can you help identify where this awful smell is coming from?

dezracer

I recently had the tranny rebuilt for a bad bearing. I re-filled with red-line MTF. But now I have this stink as soon as car warms up. I filled from top (where shifter mounts) did not spill any and wiped off excess from fill plug underneath. Did the tranny lose a vent tube or something during rebuild? Thats all I an think of. If you know what synthetic gear lube smells like you know how bad my car is stinking. HELP?

Last edited by a moderator:

dezracer

does anyone have pics of the top of a T-56 and where the vent tube goes? Im thinking I have a vent tube issue. I can hardly stand to be in the car. I need to get this fixed

dezracer

Thanks Bob. And got your shifter gasket installed yesterday. Sure enough..makes her quiet as a church mouse.:rockon:

So while I was under the car to nudge the shifter off the base of the tranny with a brass drift I did some inspecting. The only place I saw tranny fluid was at the output shaft. A small drop had collected at the bottom and there were VERY small drops where the shaft rotates. It was such a small small minute amount though. Thing is the output shaft is is very close to both sides of the H pipe. Maybe when its spinning it is throwing fluid on the pipe causing the stench :shrug:

I am pretty certain that the seal was replaced during the rebuild. Should it leak at all or be dry as bone:dw: Anyone know. Thanks.

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
Am I hearing right, you filled from the shifter hole?? Are you sure you didn't just overfill the case? thats why you always fill from the upper plug and stop when it starts to spill out. Thats the appropriate level. You could check by putting the car level on jack stands and opening the upper plug. If a bunch spills out, you had it overfilled.

But if it is dripping somewhere on the exhaust, it will smell pretty awful.

dezracer

Am I hearing right, you filled from the shifter hole?? Are you sure you didn't just overfill the case? thats why you always fill from the upper plug and stop when it starts to spill out. Thats the appropriate level. You could check by putting the car level on jack stands and opening the upper plug. If a bunch spills out, you had it overfilled.

But if it is dripping somewhere on the exhaust, it will smell pretty awful.

Yea we filled from the top, but with the fill plug removed. Waited until it stopped coming out then replaced the plug so oil level should be spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread