Cancelling extended service plan?

nduction03

Established Member
I bought the Ford Premium Care extended service policy. I'm having a hard time getting someone from the dealership to call me back concerning dropping it and getting a refund.

Anybody here ever try/do this?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I just spoke with my (dealership) salesman about this..he said as long as I haven't run out the basic warranty, I could get a full refund....once I'm into the extended they'll still refund but it would be pro-rated...

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. It's taking forever though. I bought my car a good 150 miles from my house so I didn't cancel it through the dealership (the faster way). I called up Ford's customer service and told them I wanted it canceled. They transfered me to someone that gave me the mailing address to send a bunch of info like bill of sale, vin, etc.

That was a month+ ago.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by bassin247
I'm in the process of doing the same thing. It's taking forever though. I bought my car a good 150 miles from my house so I didn't cancel it through the dealership (the faster way). I called up Ford's customer service and told them I wanted it canceled. They transfered me to someone that gave me the mailing address to send a bunch of info like bill of sale, vin, etc.

That was a month+ ago.
I cancelled my Extended Service plan about 2 months after I bought the car. I talked to the Service company and was told (it's in the contract) that if I cancelled within 30 days I'd get a full refund. After that the refund is pro-rated, which I thought was B.S. seeing that I was still under the basic warrantee. I think I lost $50.00 or something like that. I am very happy I cancelled it. There are so many restrictions that I could only see it being an expensive ($1750.) hassle. Be sure to review your contract as Service contract companies will vary. The other thing was that because I had taken out an auto loan through Chase the cancellation of the contract was applied against my loan. I couldn't get a cash refund - which I wanted to use towards mods.
:p

missile man

Established Member
Would any of you consider an extended program from another company. I was thinking about Warranty Gold once my basic 3 year plan is up.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
They also told me there would be a cancelation fee. I too, have a chase loan. I wonder if they are going to send me the money or apply it tword the loan.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I have a 7/100,000 warranty that's pretty much useless now. I'm not sure I can get credit for it since I didn't actually buy it. Any thoughts on this?

JimyLew03

Established Member
I tried to cancel mine through Ford customer service and was told it had to be done through the finance office at the dealership. All they required was to put the request for cancelation in writing and drop it at the finance office. Took about 6 weeks to process credit... CobraBob is right, no cash refund just a credit towards my Ford Motor Credit loan which took care of 3 or 4 payments. Hope this helps

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
yes...it was part of a settlement for a dealer incident. ;-)

I think you are SOL. They made my copy my reciept and send it to them for proof that I bought it.

Atleast you won't have to worry about a bad window motor for 100,000 miles. ;-)

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member

I remember that incident Tracy. It's a contrct in your name. You should be able to cancel it Tracy and get the money. I agree, with your MODS, it's pretty much useless...:)

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member

I remember that incident Tracy. It's a contract in your name. You should be able to cancel it and get the money regardless of who paid for it. I agree, with your MODS, it's pretty much useless...:)

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Having read this thread, I'll call the dealer and start the cancellation hassle. Nobody likes to write a check back to you after you were hypotized into buying the 7 year thang.
RaceRat, you might be the least likely extended warranty candidate ever!!! :lol:

I see more mods in my future ...
JW

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by bassin247
They also told me there would be a cancelation fee. I too, have a chase loan. I wonder if they are going to send me the money or apply it tword the loan.
Mike, if you have a loan don't expect cash back. The reason is that the money is written into the loan so it has to be applied toward the loan.
:??:

Mongoose 03

The Godfather
Established Member
The loan company kinda gets you there too. The warranty money is taken off the end of the loan after you've done paid in all the interest :gt:

maoun

Established Member
that's BS....you get it prorated even when you're still in the normal warranty

it's close to the full amount, but not all there

m.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by maoun
that's BS....you get it prorated even when you're still in the normal warranty

it's close to the full amount, but not all there

m.
I agree. I can understand a small administrative fee for cancelling early, but the pro-rating when you're already under the regular warrantee doesn't make sense. I mean, if you have a claim while you're under the standard warrantee the Extension carrier isn't going to be involved in it. Makes me very glad I cancelled my Extended Warrantee. At least the balance of my loan is now reduced around $1,725.
:shrug:

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by JimyLew03
I tried to cancel mine through Ford customer service and was told it had to be done through the finance office at the dealership. All they required was to put the request for cancelation in writing and drop it at the finance office. Took about 6 weeks to process credit... CobraBob is right, no cash refund just a credit towards my Ford Motor Credit loan which took care of 3 or 4 payments. Hope this helps

Same here. Once the modding starts, the extended warranty is not worth the price. I guess it would have been nice to realize this when we bought it and saved the money. At least I got a $1200 discount back. I have not had to take it into the dealership for anything and it's unlikely I would no matter what happened. On this car I'd rather do the work myself. Another reason to ditch the extended warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread