Can't find a belt!

Leeiswho2b

I'll be your huckleberry!
Established Member
I've searched the forums and tried all the local autopart stores to no avail. I have the typical belt chirp with my 2.6 upper. No one can cross reference the stock belt number and find a gatorback, gates, dayco, any for that matter. I've searched the forum, but all references I have found are for the Terminators. I did measure it. Belt is an 84" 10 rib. Anyone know where to pick one up at and the part number? I've searched Google and have came up with the same as above.

I bought a Dayco serpentine belt for it also, but don't know if I should go ahead and install it. The factory only has 3600 miles on it. Did anyone else replace both at the same time, or am I just being to anal?

Thanks!

Leeiswho2b

Established Member
I got my Gates HD belt off Amazon for $45 shipped to my door.

Evo Performance just told me that the only belt we can use is the factory because no one makes them.

I am talking about the 10 rib belt that is the inside belt routed over the idler and eaton not the serpentine belt?

Last edited:

Leeiswho2b

Established Member
I have noticed some black "dust" inside of my idler pulley. Never thought about it, but now figure that is from me belt. What would cause this?

Leeiswho2b

Established Member
Anyone have the part #? Maybe a link where you ordered it from? Would be much appreciated!!!

Anyone?

I took the belt off last night and cleaned it with soap and water. No help. The chirp is coming from the top. Sounds like it is either right at my idler or upper pulley. It was doing it at idle/low rpms. Took the pulley off of the idler and lubed. Squeak went away at idle and then showed up at 3k rpms. This morning started and it does it at any rpm. Belt did look like it had some wear on the outside on both sides. Can see some threading. Not much but is noticeable. Used a laser leveler to check pulley alignment and looked fine. Any suggestions? I did notice the idler pulley had a slight bit of play. Don't have another to compare. Do these have play in them normally? I have a Metco single bearing.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
OP you have a 10% lower as well?

I had no belt chirp with just the upper and stock belt, but once I changed belts with my lower, squeal is now there until car warms up for 10 minutes.

I have read other people say that the thump racing tensioner with the stock belt (can use stock belt with 10% if you have thump because of longer range of travel) will get rid of squeal, but I just hate spending $400 bucks and not getting any performance :(

Leeiswho2b

Established Member
OP you have a 10% lower as well?

I had no belt chirp with just the upper and stock belt, but once I changed belts with my lower, squeal is now there until car warms up for 10 minutes.

I have read other people say that the thump racing tensioner with the stock belt (can use stock belt with 10% if you have thump because of longer range of travel) will get rid of squeal, but I just hate spending $400 bucks and not getting any performance :(

Nope, upper only. I put around 1k miles on it before it started to chirp. Although half of them were very easy miles due to a slipping clutch. Was going to do the 10% O/D this winter. Now I'm not so sure! It does blow to spend cash on something that really doesn't give a whole lot of benefits. I seen a Steeda adjustable idler that supposedly helps for $262.00. Just hate to pony up that kind of cash for something like that. It seems people have a ton of different theories, yet no one has actually determined what to do to make it a permanent solution. Well, I guess I could always upgrade to a Whipple! I do know it is DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!

Last edited:

DaFreak

Established Member
Hi Leeiswho2b,

I have recently developed the exact same issue. I am running an upper (2.6) and lower (10%) and just ordered a new belt. I ordered the gates micro-v at belt (I wanted the green one but no one had it) and it should be here next week.

A couple of things I am thinking about:

Using the upper install tool to adjust (in/out) and see if the alignment is causing the issue.

Loosening the idler pulley a bit so see if the chirp goes away.

Removing the belt, washing all the pulleys with soap and water and reinstalling a new belt.

I am going to start with the later as I remember spilling some coolant on the belt recently when doing some work. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you figure it out in the meantime, please let me know.

Thanks,

DaFreak

Last edited:

DaFreak

Established Member
Chirp gone (for now)

Hi All,

I bought the Gates SC and PolyCog accessory belts, removed the old ones, cleaned all the pulleys with soap and water (toothbrush and scotch-brite pad) and reinstalled the new belts.

Chirp gone for now. I'll keep an ear on it.

DSC00923.jpg

DaFreak

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i think its funny that someone has ask for a Part number at least 2 times an no one has given him the part number. help the guy out an provied the part number instead of just saying hey i just bought a belt. if i knew it i would provide it

DaFreak

Established Member
I'm running a 2.65 upper and 10%OD lower and the Gates SC belt PN is K100852. The PN for the Gates Fleet Liner (Green Belt) is the same except for HD on the end so that's K100852HD. The Dayco Poly Rib accessory belt PN is 5060866. I found the SC belt on Amazon for $30 shipped and the accessory belt for $27.

Best of luck,

DaFreak

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I'm running a 2.65 upper and 10%OD lower and the Gates SC belt PN is K100852. The PN for the Gates Fleet Liner (Green Belt) is the same except for HD on the end so that's K100852HD. The Dayco Poly Rib accessory belt PN is 5060866. I found the SC belt on Amazon for $30 shipped and the accessory belt for $27.

Best of luck,

DaFreak

thanks for helping out :beer:

DaFreak

Established Member
Of course. Actually, I'm glad you called me on it cause I was going to be a lazy ass and not post the PN's cause they were so far away (out in the garage :dw:).

DaFreak

Users who are viewing this thread