Cant find belt size for this configuration

RL1

Established Member
I checked the threads and CB's site also.

I had to change my alternator pulley size from a 3.2 to a 3.7. Apparently Metco sent me the wrong configuration 3 yrs ago or Dez messed up and ordered the stuff separately assuming he had the right config togeather....found out a few weeks ago when the pulley started spinning on the shaft and was ruined when it bottomed out and hit the alt housing.

Anyway, the old set up was a 10lb lower, 100mm aux idler and the 3.2 alt pulley. With the new pulley size (3.75) the circumference is actually 2" bigger!. The current belt I have is a Gates K080855 (86.12 inches) That belt is not going on, way too small. I assumed I needed a belt 1" larger since the belt only wraps the pulley half way on the bottom but the next size Gates belt is only 1/4" larger, and the next size jumps 1.5" or 1.75" which is way too big I assume.

So anyone have a 10lb lower, stock upper, 100mm aux and a 3.75 alt pulley set up????

Last edited:

sya5

Sexy Bitch!
Established Member
i thought u had a 8lb lower.........cuz i had the same setup......in fact, i might even have all the stuff from when i took it off the car....

RL1

Established Member
Sometimes you can find something close on my Belt Table (http://stangshiftergaskets.com/BeltSelectionGuide.htm) and guestimate what size might fit best. Unfortunately, trial and error can get expensive unless you can sell the belts that didn't fit.

Thanks guys, ended up figuring it. I believe I need a Dayco u29 5080875 - It's 87.5" . Thats the closest I could get to an inch larger, everything else is either way too small or too big. When I get that belt i'll have to swith the stock 90mm idlers with one or two 100mm idlers to take up the slack (there good for about a half inch).

What I did for now so I could drive it and use my old belt was to remove my aux idler, that gave me about an inch and it fits perfectly. I know it isn't as necessary for me to have because I have the stock pulley on the blower but I want the extra wrap so I'll be buying the new larger idlers in the next couple weeks and put it back togeather the way I want it.

I just wish the belt company's made belts in inch increments...they jump so sporadically it made it more costly for me....if Gates or Dayco just made something exactly an inch bigger I'd be all set.

Last edited:

RL1

Established Member
i thought u had a 8lb lower.........cuz i had the same setup......in fact, i might even have all the stuff from when i took it off the car....

Nope, my lower measures close to 10" from top to bottom, not sure on the circumference. I called Aaron at Metco and gave him the measurement and he confirmed. I'm lucky I didn't kill the alternator spinning it like a s.o.b for the past 3 years. The new pulley, although it is a 3.7 compared to a 3.2 is a huge difference. It measures 2" larger in circumference - almost cant see the front housing of the alternator...lol...ace armature was like WTF when I sent it to them to have it tested...lol

If you have any 100mm idlers LMK, I'll grab them off you

**Edit** I just realized my sig even says 8lb lower...WTF, I guess I thought I had an 8lb lower when I wrote that way back when also... why the hell cant I get this straight. First I'm told my lower is a 10lb when I called Metco, then I needed a larger alt pulley. I know Metco tweaked their pulley sizes form when I ordered mine 3yrs ago. I hope to god I have this straightened out and I have what I'm being told is on my damn car! - I was under the car psychically measuring the pulley while I had Aaron on the phone so I have to assume I have it right - Dez even says he put a 10lb lower on the car, why in the hell did I type in 8lb lower then...i'm confused...lol

Last edited:

RL1

Established Member
Sometimes you can find something close on my Belt Table (http://stangshiftergaskets.com/BeltSelectionGuide.htm) and guestimate what size might fit best. Unfortunately, trial and error can get expensive unless you can sell the belts that didn't fit.

Hey CB, just curious, how come there aren't any configurations on your site for 10lb or 12lb lowers?? - when I have my config figured out perfectly I'll e-mail you the config if you'd like to list it.

sya5

Sexy Bitch!
Established Member
Nope, my lower measures close to 10" from top to bottom, not sure on the circumference. I called Aaron at Metco and gave him the measurement and he confirmed. I'm lucky I didn't kill the alternator spinning it like a s.o.b for the past 3 years. The new pulley, although it is a 3.7 compared to a 3.2 is a huge difference. It measures 2" larger in circumference - almost cant see the front housing of the alternator...lol...ace armature was like WTF when I sent it to them to have it tested...lol

If you have any 100mm idlers LMK, I'll grab them off you

**Edit** I just realized my sig even says 8lb lower...WTF, I guess I thought I had an 8lb lower when I wrote that way back when also... why the hell cant I get this straight. First I'm told my lower is a 10lb when I called Metco, then I needed a larger alt pulley. I know Metco tweaked their pulley sizes form when I ordered mine 3yrs ago. I hope to god I have this straightened out and I have what I'm being told is on my damn car! - I was under the car psychically measuring the pulley while I had Aaron on the phone so I have to assume I have it right - Dez even says he put a 10lb lower on the car, why in the hell did I type in 8lb lower then...i'm confused...lol

wait....so u had the huge lower on there without a bigger alt pulley?
i couldve sworn it was 8lb.........i had an 8lb-er on mine with the larger alt pulley.......mike said it was the same set-up as urs

Last edited:

RL1

Established Member
wait....so u had the huge lower on there without a bigger alt pulley?
i couldve sworn it was 8lb.........i had an 8lb-er on mine with the larger alt pulley.......mike said it was the same set-up as urs

I had a 3.2 inch Metco alt pulley on it. Though with the 10lb lower, which I apparently do have according to Aaron you need a 3.7" alt pulley.

Do me a favor, measure the crank pulley you have from lip to lip and LMK what it measures. I wonder if Dez somehow got it mixed up. I know at the time I wanted the biggest lower they had available and I believe it was a 10lb kit

sya5

Sexy Bitch!
Established Member
ok i stopped up at the shop and spoke to brian about it......he said he put the 8lb lower on ur car.........i have my pulley around the house here sumwhere, if u wanna swing by today ill be home puttin the tranny back in the car

RL1

Established Member
ok i stopped up at the shop and spoke to brian about it......he said he put the 8lb lower on ur car.........i have my pulley around the house here sumwhere, if u wanna swing by today ill be home puttin the tranny back in the car

Ok, thanks - i'll call you after work

Users who are viewing this thread