Canton 7qt oil pan - using the '07 F-150 dipstick

cobracide

Established Member
Hey, I just ordered a Canton 13-784a oil pan, windage tray, bolt/stud kit and the '07 F-150 dipstick as recommended (by Canton). I've seen several different threads but no general consensus. When using this dipstick, what is the capacity at max? I've heard 7-9 quarts is what people are running. My thinking is 7-8 quarts max? Don't want to run too much but also want to take advantage of the increased capacity. Also, any installation hints?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'm using the stock dipstick that I had previously marked my own full line on.

8.5 quarts is the new full for me, I'm thinking 9 might be a bit much, but maybe not, I'm almost there now. I think I set my full mark at 6.5 quarts when I had the stock pan on.
If you look at the pics from the thread that has the pan being filled to different levels even the 7 quart level looked to be down far enough to not present a big windage problem.

Is this the road race pan or other?
Do you also have the windage tray?

cobracide

Established Member
I'm using the stock dipstick that I had previously marked my own full line on.

8.5 quarts is the new full for me, I'm thinking 9 might be a bit much, but maybe not, I'm almost there now. I think I set my full mark at 6.5 quarts when I had the stock pan on.
If you look at the pics from the thread that has the pan being filled to different levels even the 7 quart level looked to be down far enough to not present a big windage problem.

Is this the road race pan or other?
Do you also have the windage tray?

It's the aluminum race pan. I ordered a windage tray and the stud kit. Can I Install it with just jackstands and is it easy? Appreciate your help Jimmy!

www.cantonracingproducts.com - 13-784A - FORD 4.6L/5.4L REAR SUMP ALUMINUM RACE BAFFLED PAN

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It's the aluminum race pan. I ordered a windage tray and the stud kit. Can I Install it with just jackstands and is it easy? Appreciate your help Jimmy!

www.cantonracingproducts.com - 13-784A - FORD 4.6L/5.4L REAR SUMP ALUMINUM RACE BAFFLED PAN

This one of the few jobs I paid to have done.

I was not comfortable with dropping the K, with the jack stand that I have, I did not think I could get it high enough.

This was the first fox platform Mustang that I got deep into mods with so I have never dropped a K before. A friend in the Cobra club hooked me up with one of his techs he manages that has done lots of mods on Cobras and he did it for me.

You will need to borrow, rent or fabricate an engine brace to hold the engine suspended up while you disconnect and drop the K out from under it.

I pretty sure lots of guys have done it on jack stands, just not me.:bash:

The windage tray also gives you a little extra distance for keeping the oil level away from the crank, also the basic engine design itself keeps the crank a good distance from the oil.

EDIT: Also you will need to trim the oil scraper on the pick up tube to clear the windage tray, it's best to mark it and cut or grind it OFF the engine in a vise or something. You don't want metal fillings flying up into the engine.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Awesome, thx.. I'm going to let a pro deal with the install then, K drop and all. I heard it was not trivial and wanted to check. Otherwise, positive reviews for the Canton. Starting with +7qts.

Has anyone used the temperature sensor fitting in the pan and would that be useful?

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Awesome, thx.. I'm going to let a pro deal with the install then, K drop and all. I heard it was not trivial and wanted to check. Otherwise, positive reviews for the Canton. Starting with +7qts.

Has anyone used the temperature sensor fitting in the pan and would that be useful?

If you are going to be tracking, it's nice to have.
I have one but have not hooked it up yet, because of it being a little large for most bezels and not wanting to cut up the dash.
My fault for buying that size.:bash:

Nemisish20

Established Member
That pan calls for 7QTS. That is 7 with the filter included.

To calibrate the dipstick accurately you need to do the following.

Drain the oil, put 7qts in, run the vehicle for 30 seconds and let sit for a minute, then calibrate the dipstick..

If you have any questions give me a call 203-481-9460

Nick Ansaldi
Canton Racing Products.

99cobrajn

cant touch this........
Established Member
I was told to get the 99 gt dip stick that is what I did. I still need to get the motor in. Let us know how the f150 stick works. thanks!

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
I myself would like to know if there is a stick out that measures correctly with a canton 7qt pan? Any new news on this issue? Or should I just do the procedure Nemisish20 stated? Any help would be appreciated.

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
I would like to know where it should read on the stock stick after an oil change? Or if there is another stick that will read more accurate than the stick stick?

Users who are viewing this thread