"Car and Driver" Idiocy

ZXnVS

Established Member
What the hell is the problem with "Car and Driver" anymore? First they do a comparo in which they rank the Cobra last behind two sports car wannabes that aren't even in the same league, and now this:

In the June 2002 issue when they first reviewed the '03 Cobra, they had nothing but sneering contempt for the supercharger. They described the blower whine as "food-blender-like," "sounds like a floor polisher," "whines like my Remington electric chain saw,' etc., etc. In the just-arrived May issue, however, they review a Jaguar S-type R and guess what they list as one of the "Highs?" You guessed it, the "seductive supercharger whine."

Keep in mind that both of these cars are running Eaton blowers on 32-valve DOHC V-8s. So why is one seductive and one "food-blender-like?" What a difference a nameplate makes (if you're a boneheaded journalist, that is).

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Just another car mag trying to be trendy and going along with the crowd.... AKA cowardness in journalism.

(Now how's that for taking a stand!)

:burn:

TruBlu03

Basically, they suck.. in more ways than one. I long ago lost all respect for many of the "premiere" glam automobile magazines. It's funny too because back in the day they would soil their shorts over testing muscle cars, all power and not much of anything else. Now look at em, a bunch of pathetic, old, balding, fat hippe wannabes that can't exist without all the "luxuries". It's slower than a half dead two legged rat but it sure feels "zippy" driving through our coporate parking garge. It must be a great car since it has all these nifty doo-dads, boy I actually feel smarter! God forbide it dosen't have 6-way adjustble/heated seats with memory! Lets see, 0-60 in oh....10.4 seconds but hey, it sure feels sporty! :xpl: Fug sport luxo bs, I want my car to haul serious ass and have some confidance in the twisties, oh wait..I already own an 03 Cobra for the moderate price of $35k. Let em have their sht can "sports" cars, they can suckle my tail pipes! :burnout:

CobraTone

Established Member
Originally posted by LLCoolStang
Basically, they suck.. in more ways than one. I long ago lost all respect for many of the "premiere" glam automobile magazines. It's funny too because back in the day they would soil their shorts over testing muscle cars, all power and not much of anything else. Now look at em, a bunch of pathetic, old, balding, fat hippe wannabes that can't exist without all the "luxuries". It's slower than a half dead two legged rat but it sure feels "zippy" driving through our coporate parking garge. It must be a great car since it has all these nifty doo-dads, boy I actually feel smarter! God forbide it dosen't have 6-way adjustble/heated seats with memory! Lets see, 0-60 in oh....10.4 seconds but hey, it sure feels sporty! :xpl: Fug sport luxo bs, I want my car to haul serious ass and have some confidance in the twisties, oh wait..I already own an 03 Cobra for the moderate price of $35k. Let em have their sht can "sports" cars, they can suckle my tail pipes! :burnout:

Well said! :thumbsup: I can't think of much of a reply after that one, bro. :beer:

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member
Originally posted by BigZach
Who cares what they think.

True but those magazines are the reason why everyone with a 350Z, Audi TT, RX8, M3/5 etc. believes that there car are better and faster than the 03 Cobra. Cruising the fourms of the cars reveals that the magazine articles are basis of their opinion on the '03 Cobra.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by LLCoolStang

:thumbsup: Good show bro!

Originally posted by Smokinbago
True but those magazines are the reason why everyone with a 350Z, Audi TT, RX8, M3/5 etc. believes that there car are better and faster than the 03 Cobra. Cruising the fourms of the cars reveals that the magazine articles are basis of their opinion on the '03 Cobra.

Hell let em... thats more Cobra's for us.

Its goina be like back in the 80's when all of those cocky vette guys were thinking they had the fastest production car in the united states. Until they pulled up next to that mysterious black coupe... :coolman: You guys know the one.

Accept this time these guys will be pulling up next to the Cobra saying... "Oh its one of those hyped up Mustang GT's I read about in Car & Driver."

:) Little do they know... and thats what makes it so fun.

Last edited:

2K3Z06

Established Member
Guys, i like the cobra, but you gotta realize that there is a lot more to performace than going fast in a straight line. And who believes fast = uncomfortable. After spending the day at the track, and watching the front tire smoke off several mustangs/cobras, I gotta agree with the car magazines. The fox chassis was a hasbeen 20 years ago. The cobra is great a far as mustangs go. But, there is so much better out there.........Don't believe me or the magazines, just bring it to the road course or the autocross...........Friggn Miatas were turning faster lap times than the mustangs. And yes I'm a fat old guy.....Don't flame kiddies, just bring it to the track. See what the rest of us already know.

c0bra969

Custom title.
Established Member
ooohhh.......he straight told us....

You cant talk you have only TWO seats.:rollseyes

Last edited:

03 Red Cobra

Established Member

Hell let em... thats more Cobra's for us.

Its goina be like back in the 80's when all of those cocky vette guys were thinking they had the fastest production car in the united states. Until they pulled up next to that mysterious black coupe... :coolman: You guys know the one.

Accept this time these guys will be pulling up next to the Cobra saying... "Oh its one of those hyped up Mustang GT's I read about in Car & Driver."

86-87 GN.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by 2K3Z06
Guys, i like the cobra, but you gotta realize that there is a lot more to performace than going fast in a straight line. And who believes fast = uncomfortable. After spending the day at the track, and watching the front tire smoke off several mustangs/cobras, I gotta agree with the car magazines. The fox chassis was a hasbeen 20 years ago. The cobra is great a far as mustangs go. But, there is so much better out there.........Don't believe me or the magazines, just bring it to the road course or the autocross...........Friggn Miatas were turning faster lap times than the mustangs. And yes I'm a fat old guy.....Don't flame kiddies, just bring it to the track. See what the rest of us already know.

Stock Miatas beating Cobras? Thats rich. I posted this a while back, mayhaps its time I refreshed peoples memories.

http://www.car-videos.com/performance/track.asp?track=3

Im not saying the Cobra would be a prime contender in le manz by any means and I agree the Mustangs been due for a platform upgrade for quite sometime, but im not going to sit back and listen to blastphummy like that without proving otherwise.

Last edited:

Smokinbago

MN Sports Fan!
Established Member

Don't worry about flames 2k3z06, most of the people on this forum are pretty open-minded.

The road course thing sounds fun, but in someone else’s car; the though of wearing out my brakes, tires, and transmission on the regular basis is not that appealing.

Part of the point of this thread is that these magazines display blatant hypocrisy when you dog a blower on one car but praise the exact blower on another car; especially when it is basically the same motor and company in question.

c0bra969

Custom title.
Established Member
I hardly ever get into these hairy threads, but by the way you cut down WE the mustang owners, i think you are some kind of undercover mustang HATER, or maybe you didnt like the previous reply about a vet getting beat. And dont worry us "kiddies" wont flame you and your arrogant attitude.

Last edited:

2K3Z06

Established Member
I used to own a mustang. Most of the guys here are actually pretty down to earth. But some people post that if you don't drive a cobra, your a, what was it, "pathectic, old, balding, hippie wannbe" that obvisouly don't know anything about cars. my apologizes to those of you that have been on a road course and know what i mean................... Read the May issue of MotorTrend.

meat eater

Established Member
2K3ZO6; i was just wondering how much you paid for your car.
we paid $35k, if we spent another $2500-$3000 on wheels&tires
10" in front and 12" in back i doubt you or a miata would be much
faster if at all. they are having an open track day at texas motor
speed way in college station in aug. . maybe you would like to
prove your theory, i would. then you could see what i did with the
money i saved.

03DOHC

Established Member
I used to own a mustang. Most of the guys here are actually pretty down to earth. But some people post that if you don't drive a cobra, your a, what was it, "pathectic, old, balding, hippie wannbe" that obvisouly don't know anything about cars. my apologizes to those of you that have been on a road course and know what i mean................... Read the May issue of MotorTrend.
If you used to own a Mustang why are you posting here? Do you think we need to be edjucated? Just a question. And what's with the kiddie comment?:shrug:

CobraBri

Established Member

You are missing the obvious point here...it is that these "balding, hippie, wannabees" tediously criticize one aspect of one car, only to praise the same thing on another ie "blower whine." No one is saying the Cobra is the "ultimate sports car," but some balanced, fair journalism would be appreciated. That said, I take what "Car and Drivel" writes with a grain of salt. I prefer Motor Trend.

Users who are viewing this thread