car bogging at WOT!!! NEED HELP!!!!

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
Not trying to steal this thread...just curious. What exactly does the gap of the spark plug do? What is the major difference between .28 and .35? Spark plug for dummies answer please. :read:

7 thousands of an inch is the difference. In forced induction cars, boost can actually "blow-out" the spark produced by a spark plug. What's actually happening is so much pressure is present in the chamber that it keeps the electric "pulse" from reaching the ground strap on the plug, thus killing the spark and not lighting that particular cylinder. By closing the plug gap, you can aid the pulse in reaching it's destination in high pressure situations. Most time it's overcome by installing more powerful ignitions, but since Cobra's already have pretty powerful ignitions, it's cheaper/easier to just close plug gaps. People have added boost-a-sparks, but most of them still have to run smaller plug gaps even with an ignition amplifier like the BAS.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
Army_man and whiteboy, who did your tuning? Your both in NJ.

I'm in the same situation as army man I bought my car in st.louis already tuned for what it has and the tunes are saved on my sct xcal 2. The tunes are for 91 and 93 octane the only thing that has changed since I got the car was the boost. When I got it it was boosting 12 lbs. With a reichard racing 2.80 supercharger pulley. The pulley next to the supercharger pulley went bad so I swapped a new bearing on it and suddenly I'm pulling 13 sometimes 14 lbs but it was like that for months before this problem occured so I don't really think iit has to do with the tune.

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
If I just read correctly...you see 2 more psi than you did before...with no change to the tune. That's a problem.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
Yea its more like 1.5 more but either way I don't understand why it wasn't an issue for 3 maybe 4 months but now out of nowhere it would start to affect it. If anything I can richen the a/f ratio at WOT with the sct but idk how much more to go.

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
You need to do a compression test (or better yet a leakdown) ASAP and hope that you motor ain't hurt. To put it simply...you need a tune...again. The handhelds are great, but without a wideband you have no idea where your current AF is at. But think about it this way; say your tune was already at 11.7-8...then you add 1-2 psi. With no changes in fuel enrichment your AF probably went up to 12.6-7. Not a deal breaker unless you hammer on it often. 4 months of hard driving at a lean AF will most likely kill most motors. That's why you might only now be having issues, it took 3-4 months of being lean to hurt it.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
yea I guess ill have to look into that but to be honest I've only stomped on it twice in those 3 months once it was fine and than the second time is when the problem occured since than I haven't. Punched it and I barely drive it out of fear lol but if I do drive it the rpms arent going above 2500 anyway. I'm definetely spending the day on this tomorrow

army_man1014

Established Member
yea well i guess i could go get my car re tuned also..put just to be safe i wanna upgrade my fuel pumps to 2 ford gt supercar pumps and also change fuel rails and -10 line.. i seen a kit for 600 so after that then i will tune the car.

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
Pumps aren't needed yet bro. Unless you plan on making more than about 650 rwhp on a twin screw, then I would look into them.

crazywhiteboy90

Established Member
so I. Replacded my spark plugs and richened the a/f at wot and the cars pulling better than ever the problem seems to be completely gone and on a wide band the a/f is almost perfect gona have it retuned jus so its 100% safe but for now its running strong thanks for all the help guys someone from MM&FF told me its was prob spark or fuel pressure and it ended up being a little bit of both. Thanks again for the help guys

forcefed03

9tmare
Established Member
so I. Replacded my spark plugs and richened the a/f at wot and the cars pulling better than ever the problem seems to be completely gone and on a wide band the a/f is almost perfect gona have it retuned jus so its 100% safe but for now its running strong thanks for all the help guys someone from MM&FF told me its was prob spark or fuel pressure and it ended up being a little bit of both. Thanks again for the help guys

so u had the smae problem as me! :p nice job on the fix :p

Users who are viewing this thread