car breaking up at 6k still

98KBCobraVert

Not a KB anymore!
Established Member
ok, put on the weapon x coil packs and some new TR6's gapped at .028 and it still breaks up. Any other ideas, I really don't want to throw money at it trying to fix.

What other info would someone need in order to comment?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Hey bud well that last thing would be a boost a spark or the MSD like I said. Or change the wires. But I really recommend just getting the boost a spark or the MSD..

TERMINATED97

Established Member
My car was doing this last summer and it was all fuel related. After I added another pump and switched from 42lbers to 60s it went away. I also got a bigger feed line.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
He has a full glens system on his car, fuel isn't the problem. He's having spark blowout. :)

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
now If the setup you're running is the one in your sig, you should have absolutely zero problems with spark blowout. Im also a little bit confused as to how you have weapon X cops (im guessing thats what you meant). Long story short, get new ford coil packs, new wires, and some motorcraft awsfa-22c plugs.

Gap them at .35 and see what happens.

For reference, I run a completely stock ignition at 20 psi with stock cops and motorcraft 12c plugs gapped at .028. Zero blowout up to 7200rpm.

allgo90

Established Member
My car only made 475 and i was having spark blowout on the dyno, my tuner changed the plugs(tr6's) and regaped them at .28 and it went away. He said its fine now but with any more power i needed a msd or boost a spark

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yup I had the same problem I need a boost a spark or MSD box. Some people get lucky and some people get screwed.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
.28 is not too tight for a blown car..... thats what mine are set to as a recomendation by my tuner.

so the car is fine till 6k?

id to a fuel filter... Whats your tuner say?

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
now If the setup you're running is the one in your sig, you should have absolutely zero problems with spark blowout. Im also a little bit confused as to how you have weapon X cops (im guessing thats what you meant). Long story short, get new ford coil packs, new wires, and some motorcraft awsfa-22c plugs.

Gap them at .35 and see what happens.

For reference, I run a completely stock ignition at 20 psi with stock cops and motorcraft 12c plugs gapped at .028. Zero blowout up to 7200rpm.

ok 98kbcobravert here, I'm at twigs house (he's my brother)

I have the weapon X coil packs. Not the Cop's. I'm have changed the mods in my sig, I've up'd the boost to over 15psi. The motorcraft plugs that were in it were gapped at 34-35 when the car was making 10 psi, my tuner had to shorten the gap to .28 to get it to no break up at what I'm making now which is 557. The car is still falling on it face at 6k. He was hoping that using the weaponx coil packs would help it. well it didn't and before I go and spend another $600 on an msd system I want to see what other people have to say. He had the motorcraft plugs in it, but I switched them to the TR6's and it dosn't break up all the time, only seems to break up in the lower greas 1-2 and when I'm in 3-4 it seems to hold steady and not break up but fall flat on it's face at 6k.

Last edited:

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
.28 is not too tight for a blown car..... thats what mine are set to as a recomendation by my tuner.

so the car is fine till 6k?

id to a fuel filter... Whats your tuner say?

he's saying it 1 of 3 things, 1 is ignition, 2 is i'm out of cam , or 3 my heads/intake is maxed out.

I would think that the dyno could tell if it was ignition or fuel so I'm not sure.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Datalog your battery voltage.. If you are under 13.2 up top........you're car won't make the spark it needs too. I've run into this a few times.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
he's saying it 1 of 3 things, 1 is ignition, 2 is i'm out of cam , or 3 my heads/intake is maxed out.

I would think that the dyno could tell if it was ignition or fuel so I'm not sure.

I hope these are not direct quotes, because any tuner that thinks that you're "out of cam" or that your heads/intake are maxed out on a 4v motor at 6000 rpm is a flat out moron.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Your heads and cams are fine. NA SVT I'm sure will chime in and say they are. When I asked him he said they are good for up to about 800rwhp. and then they become a restriction, not a spark problem.

Users who are viewing this thread