Car cranking but not starting.

blownfox

Established Member
Last year before I put my car up for the winter, my car it was running great. For the most part this car has been pretty reliable for a 20 year old car.

Over the winter, I updated to the FR500 style steering wheel and now I have a no start issue. I'm running a fore return fuel system and their FC3 relay. I'm seeing 12 volts at the fore relay and FPDM. I'm using the FPDM to prime the car like factory. I've bypassed that and have let the pump run constant and still not luck. I don't think this is related to the fuel system. It's almost like the injection are not pulsing. I no smelling any unburt fuel.

One thing I've noticed is my guage cluster is not working. I get no dash lights, no odometer reading, theft light and not needles movement. Could I have damaged something with the steering wheel change? I've even disconnected the battery and turn the key on, and my rpm and speedometer needles did not sweep.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'd start checking fuses. If the dash isn't getting power the PATS won't work. Swapping steering wheels shouldn't have affect anything, but I've heard of stranger things happening.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
you must have disturbed some of the wiring under ther the dash or blew a fuse. Check your fuses and all the connections under the dash

03' White Snake

Established Member
Pull the plastic covers off the steering column. There is a sensor that reads the chip in the key. It is near the key on the bottom side. If this is not reading the key, the car will not start.

I second, check the fuses, even the ones under the hood. You should have disconnected the battery before removing the airbag and stuff. Hopefully you did not mess up the PCM.

blownfox

Established Member
I did disconnect the battery before removing the airbag. Fuses in the engine bay looked good and have checked 5 and 35 under the dash.

I'll check the column for pinched wires or something left disconnected.

With a bad PCM, would the car still crank? I'm getting codes on the scanner.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Did the car start just before the steering wheel change, you said it sat over winter, if you didn’t start it before changing the steering wheel, we could be looking at a different problem

blownfox

Established Member
I did not attempt to start the car before the steering wheel change. Before storing it for winter, it was running and driving perfectly fine.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
What we don’t know is if the car ran before you pulled the steering wheel, while it ran when parked is a good sign it doesn’t mean it ran just before the steering wheel replacement

hotcobra03

Established Member
For this car ,

If it were me , after checking fuel shut off switch,

Look for 12 volts on injector with key on.
Than check for signal on injector while cranking.

Normally you would use coil and check for spark.

But being like ours injectors do same thing and accessable,

A noid light can be used for signal while cranking.

Fuel pressure is the second thing if injector passes test

blownfox

Established Member
I've checked fuses under the dash and in the engine bay and all looked good. CcRM clicks and look throughout the car for rodents activities. All looked well. I've removed the airbag, connected the battery and with the key on I get the battery light, airbag light, and seat belt flashing. The is new and something I was not getting yesterday.

I haven't checked injectors signal yet.

Could the be a clock spring or ignition switch issue.

Car has a custom tune so if it's a bad PCM, it will really suck.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I've checked fuses under the dash and in the engine bay and all looked good. CcRM clicks and look throughout the car for rodents activities. All looked well. I've removed the airbag, connected the battery and with the key on I get the battery light, airbag light, and seat belt flashing. The is new and something I was not getting yesterday.

I haven't checked injectors signal yet.

Could the be a clock spring or ignition switch issue.

Car has a custom tune so if it's a bad PCM, it will really suck.
I would pull the wheel and clock spring and look carefully at the wirirng and connections

blownfox

Established Member
So this looks like a PATS issue. Using forscan I don't not get a PATS option under service procedures. I have communication with the PCM and ABS modules.

I still think its odd that I do not get a solid or flashing theft light, no service engine, or seat belt light.

Should I replace the immobiler or just bypass it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread