Car died...on the way home yesterday

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
My new 2003 Cobra, which has 700 miles, has already been towed to the dealer once for boiling over after it shut off. This happen about three times before they towed it to the dealer. I thought they over filled the radiator at the factory until the last time when the car dumped a huge amount of fluid. They replace the cap on the overflow tank and called it good.

Then yesterday I was driving home and the air conditioning stopped working, this had happen before but I thought it was no big deal as the air would start blowing in a minute or so. Most vehicles stop blowing cold air when they are under load. The air conditioning this time just stopped working, then the car would not rev over 3,000 rpm without bucking and surging really bad. I knew it needed to go to the shop then, so I kept driving (my trip home is only 8 miles). I looked at all the gauges and everything seemed fine for a few minutes then I noticed the temperature gauge was climbing at an astronomical rate. I made it a safe place, just before the engine temperature hit the "H". I shut it off immediately but it must have been too late (I only traveled a 1/2 mile, to get out of rush hour traffic, when I noticed the temperature gauge traveling to the overheat mark). The car boiled over some then I heard some strange noises and saw oil all over the ground. It was coming from the radiator area, like the oil cooler died, but these problems are all so different I have no idea how they are related. Anyone else want to guess before they figure it out? Sounds like I am on my way to a lemon law car :cryying:

BTW my MagnaFlow exhaust (x-pipe and catback) and Densecharger should arrive in a day or two...so much for that idea.

mosconiac

Established Member
OMG, sorry about the luck. Hopefully it turns around and you get your '03 back in perfect condition.

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
BTW the car still starts. I started it after the car cooled down, but shut if off just after I checked to see if it still had oil pressure (and it did).

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Sn8k i remember the last one. Isnt this going to be the 2nd time you are going to the dealer? Third time the charm, better fix it for good or u my bud im sorry but have a lemon.

Thought they switched every thing out last time to even a new water pump?

Sorry man....that make life suck.

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Sn8k i remember the last one. Isnt this going to be the 2nd time you are going to the dealer? Third time the charm, better fix it for good or u my bud im sorry but have a lemon.

Thought they switched every thing out last time to even a new water pump?

Sorry man....that make life suck.

Wow that's scary...that's someone else. The first time it was towed into the shop they just replaced the radiator cap. So it looks far worse this time.

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
I spoke with them a few hours ago, and they are having their lead mechanic look into it. I guess we will see...man I feel sick.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Damn. Thought it was you bro. Same Chit that some one else went through.

Our cars should not be overheating like that. Hope they take care of it right.

good luck.

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
Dealer just called and they initially think the thermostat is bad. The car starts to overheat and computer tells everything to shutdown...He said they were checking the car over and so far there is no damage to the car due to the overheating (man am I really worried now). He also tried to tell me the bad "overflow cap" had nothing to do with the problems before??? I think they are trying to cover their butts, so I won't/can't lemon law the car if another heat problem occurs. BTW it was only 80 degrees yesterday, and sometimes it gets up to 100 here, so if the worst is going to happen...I am sure it will later this summer.

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
That sounds right. Most likely a bad thermostat. If that's all it was then replacing it should fix all your problems. From the way your car was acting that seems like the culprit. Good luck and keep us posted.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Think the temp getting really hot for a short time is not bad. U dont want to do crazy WOT runs since the block cant cool down. Since the computer shuts things down you should be in the safe zone.

But id agree that dealer might be trying to cover the behinds. But isnt an overheating issue ( An Overheating Issue )?

jonas

Established Member
theres an easy way to test the thermostat. Get a pot with enough water and drop the stat in it and let the water heat up on the stove. If it starts boiling and still hasnt opened its obviously bad. Testing stats is very easy and they should do that that just to be sure. For a better test you can use a thermostat to read the temps to see if its opening at the proper temp remember the rating is when they begin to open so dont freak if it isnt fully opened and just starting at the stats rating. Still keep heating it till its fully open some stats fail cause they dont open all the way and give intermittant overheating.

Now IMHO if you see oil I bet you blew the head gasket. Is the oil cooled in the radiator?? If so the oil cooler ruptured which can cause all sorts of probs with water/oil mixing = sludge in the cooling and lubrication system.

Your car is definately a lemon man. remember 3 times in 1 year.

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
Originally posted by JD03Cobra
Sn8k....I had a very similar problem a few weeks ago. Turned out my problem was the lower radiator hose. Leaked out fluid causing similar issues.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41557

I read your thread and it sure sounds familiar..but mine was oil. It was very oily in texture. Don't know why the oil would boil out of the lines if the radiator was overheating. I am very gun shy on this car now...I am reading way too many problems on this board. I really don't think I would recommend this car to anyone, given the numberous problems mentioned here. Would you if it were your wife or girlfriend who had to wait for the tow truck??? Funny thing is I traded an S4 that I thought might give me some problems down the road...who new I was trading for current problems.... :??:

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
Well I 'm on my way to pick up my car. They said the thermostat was bad, and overheating caused a large bubble in the hoses, which further induced the overheating problem.

I am going to put on my MagnaFlow X-Pipe and Cat-back exhaust this evening, so I will give the car another chance. I just hope it doesn't die again.

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
They said it was not oil...I guess newer coolant is pretty oily to the touch. The over heated coolant splashed all over the front of the radiator so that possibly why I saw it dripping from the oil cooler hoses. Hey its all good...I am warranteed.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Sn8k Charmer
They said it was not oil...I guess newer coolant is pretty oily to the touch.

I noticed that when I pulled the plug in the head crossover tube. I guess you got to ask, if you had installed 12,000 thermostats how many do youthink were defective? I'd guess at least 12.

davidmax

Established Member
GET THE OLD STAT BACK FOR TESTING!!!!!!!!!!!!! as the post said the boiling water test is just fine.When done request a complete compresion and cylinder leakdown test.When your mating cast iron to aluminum warpage is a significant and likely occorunce so lets make darn sure were holding compresion on all 8 cylinders.
The best of luck to ya,Dave S.

Users who are viewing this thread