Car died...on the way home yesterday

Friendchicken

great advice davidmax. Sn8k Charmer, good luck with your issues. They do say that all the bugs get worked out in the first year...

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
Thanks for your support everyone...so far so good. Only current issue is at faster speeds the rearview mirror vibrates so bad I can barely see out of it? Anyone else have this problem?

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
I had a thermostat stick in my 90 GT, first thing I knew was when I got off the highway and slowed and the temp pegged. Melted the radiator core.:mj:

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by Sn8k Charmer
Thanks for your support everyone...so far so good. Only current issue is at faster speeds the rearview mirror vibrates so bad I can barely see out of it? Anyone else have this problem?

All my mirrors shake and are unusable at any speed over 40 mph or so, all 3.

Sn8k Charmer

Established Member
Originally posted by nj7703
All my mirrors shake and are unusable at any speed over 40 mph or so, all 3.

That's ridiculous. You should not have to put up with that. I think you should take it in...that's right near dangerous.

nj7703

Established Member
Originally posted by Sn8k Charmer
That's ridiculous. You should not have to put up with that. I think you should take it in...that's right near dangerous.

They told me it is flex due to the car being a "vert" maybe so, i guess i am so enamored by the damn thing, i have overlooked that. Must be cause i have the "vibe"

FX-Man

Driving the Uber Fairmont
Established Member
Got a vert and the mirrors don't shake a bit except when the stereos cranked on the bass beats, and just the drivers side then.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Sn8k Charmer,
Belive it or not your car is fine and not a lemon. Here's why. My car overheated and lost come coolant at the track. Same thing.... it went into protection mode which kills half the cylineders etc to save the engine. I ran the heater and kept the car moving and it cooled down nicely. I topped off the coolan't later thinking all was well but it boiled over again about a week later. Cause.... I forgot to burp the system. The Cobras have a unigue coolant refill procedure that unless followed to the letter will result in a another boilover because air will get trapped in the system and actually prevent the coolant from circulating. Thus giving the indication that the thermostat is bad ie. not opening due to defect.

For those interested:

1. Car off and cool
a. remove coolant rsvr cap
b. remove coolant plug located on black tube drivers side of sc
c. refill from this plug until coolant reaches full mark on rsvr
2. Reinstall rsvr cap (this will keep the rsvr from over filling)
3. Add coolant until it fills the coolant hose (up to the threads of the plug hole) then install plug
4. Turn on heater to max hot
5. Start car and allow to run 3-5 minutes
6. Turn off car
7. remove plug and check level
8. Refill and repeat as nessisary

As with any boilover though your coolant should be checked for contamination and heed the warning!!!! Only replace the coolant with the same kind it came with. IE. green with green and yellow with yellow.

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
Sn8k Charmer,

The vibe should be fixable in a matter of less than an hour. It is not normal at all.

Get it diagnosed first and make the dealer order you a new, balanced driveshaft so you don't have to leave your car for days. Ford seems to have a bad supplier on these driveshafts.

Sorry to hear about the thermostat. I went through 6 of them on a Honda Accord. That's a lot of mess for a $1 part.

Users who are viewing this thread