Car is breaking up?????

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
As others have mentioned you need to datalog. That should definitely help point you in the right direction. I wouldn't waste anymore time guessing what it might be.

03 svt

Established Member
definatly
As others have mentioned you need to datalog. That should definitely help point you in the right direction. I wouldn't waste anymore time guessing what it might be.

Yea definatly, I spent last weekend going over the basics, this week I'm in obx. When I very back I'll data log it. I've never done it with the sct tuner. Are the parameters viewable in the screen or do I have to buy the cord to hook to my laptop? I've only done it with a predator which I no longer have

fbody83

Z06 to Raped Ape
Established Member
definatly

Yea definatly, I spent last weekend going over the basics, this week I'm in obx. When I very back I'll data log it. I've never done it with the sct tuner. Are the parameters viewable in the screen or do I have to buy the cord to hook to my laptop? I've only done it with a predator which I no longer have

It's easy, you just need a USB cord to hook up to your laptop (same as a USB printer cable) and then the SCT livewire software which you can download if you don't have it. Once loaded, your tuner should be able to give you a file that will load up the common parameters to log. If not I have a file that I can send to you.

hotcobra03

Established Member
OEM coils are going to run around 640.00.. You can pick up a set of accel or some of the other aftermarket for about half. OEM definately better quality but I have run accel in a pinch for 20K miles now with 22# boost and no issues. I will say the boots on the accels arent very durable so be careful if you pull them out after they have been in awhile. They stick to the walls and tear when you pull them out.

ford racing sells set of 8 oem ...list is just under 300,,tousley ford will discount that price also...

i had paid 225 shipped to door...

03 svt

Established Member
ok, update. Charging system checked out fine. Did some data logging and just from whatching the programmer while driving every thing seemed in line like fpdc and fuel trim. No major flucuation anywhere except spark. crusing along it would read in the .30-.40 area when the car would stumble it would fall to.12-15 area. So Iassume this is pointing toward coil packs?

03cobra5485

Established Member
i didn't read through the whole thread but i just ran into a simalar prob...2.2 kb with bap, was breaking up under wot..put new plugs in and new fuel filter and nothing...finally bought new cop's and fixed the prob right away...put your ear right by your bap while the car is running and you will be able to hear a humming noise that means the bap is working...i have my old set of cop's with the bad one marked "X" on it if you want and a new set of tr6's... i'm right next to de you can swap the cop's and plugs to see if it'll help find out what's going on..My check engine light was on btw, the coil pack threw a misfire code

Last edited:

03 svt

Established Member
Thanks for the offer I greatly appriciate that. My friend has an 01 apart right now so as long as they are the same cop which I think they are I'm going to give them a try tommmorow.

03 svt

Established Member
Update: Today I cleared the codes and drove it again rechecked for codes and got a p0148 so it fuel delivery for sure. I listened for the BAP hum and its present. the car breaks up at idle and will start to surge and everything now. It's almost undrivable it will die for like 20 plus seconds at a time now. Fuel pumps? A burst line perhaps? Hp by herman did the tubing upgrade with hard line and permanent conectors it was a work of art hard to belive it would break. Also fuel pump duty cycle was in the .50 range during regular driving. not sure what that value represents is that 50% Thanks guys

03 svt

Established Member
does ant one know what these values represent on the sct? i was showing .465 volts just driving thruogh town. Is it hte same as the predator and you multiply them by 2? meaning my pumps are maxed out?

03 svt

Established Member
just re data logged. fuel pump duty cycle basically stays at .50 and i even saw rail pressure drop to 7 lb one time, so burst line or bad pump?

AteYourLS

lets go blues!
Established Member
ive had a very similar problem, i have an 03 kb with only 37k on it as well. i was doing everything that you were, with mixed results every time. ended up being my wiring harness, about a foot of it was completly burnt. replaced the whole harness and my ccrm. took out the piece of junk kb switch chip and upgraded injectors and had a dyno tune. still does what it originally did. im ready to just crash mine into the river

03 svt

Established Member
Problem Solved!!!! Turned out to be a bad section of hose in the tank. The upgraded line had turned soft inside in a couple of spots causing leakage at the clamps. Replaced and now it's an animal again!!!!

RacerXHG

13mm or 1/2in???
Established Member
Nice to hear. Btw, .5 fpdc is 100% It was running full bore trying to get fuel through that hose. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread