Car keeps going through spark plugs..

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
Title says all. Car keeps going through spark plugs like none other... Started dong this in mid to early march the first time. I put a new set in and then like 50-100 miles later they started going bad again(car starts ideling rough, stumbles / bucking in the low to 3000 rpm range) So got a new set, and it went away but then another 50 or 100 miles down the road, starts up again... whats wrong with my car?

Last edited:

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
'Going through them' is utterly meaningless in terms of troubleshooting your problem.

Take pictures of your sets of plugs and make sure that you keep them in order from the cylinder they came from. Post the pictures up and someone might have some suggestions.

01SVTSTANG

Established Member
Check the tune and also check the coil plugs and make sure you have a good seal on your coil covers. My car was running lean and I had some water seep through the coil cover and damaged some spark plugs and a coil. Replaced all the spark plugs with some NGK's and had to change a coil plug.

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
What do the plugs look like?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys, had some internet problems.

They are really black looking. I can take some pics tomorrow when I get back but I can describe what the last set looked like for you.

{FRONT OF CAR}

R1 O O L1
R2 O O L2
R3 O O L3
R4 O O L4

{DRIVER SEAT} {PASSENGER SEAT}​

Plugs R1 and L4 Were almost brand new looking. Plug L3 was clean but looked like it had been in the car for a few hundred miles or so, not to dirty, but not "new" looking like plugs R1 and L4. Plugs R2, R3, R4, L1, and L2 were almost completly black.

Let me know if this help. Like I said, I will pull the plugs tomorrow and post up some pics. Thanks for your help.

*~* EDIT *~* Also, plugs are NGK TR6's if that helps or makes a difference *~* EDIT*~*

Check the tune and also check the coil plugs and make sure you have a good seal on your coil covers. My car was running lean and I had some water seep through the coil cover and damaged some spark plugs and a coil. Replaced all the spark plugs with some NGK's and had to change a coil plug.

That was the first thing I checked was the coil packs. Tested them with a COPT (Coil on Plug Tester) and they all checked out good. Checked the gaskets seal to make sure it was on all the way and everything was good.

When your saying check the tune, how should I go about that? Try and find someone in the area to look at it for free and let me know if something is wrong with the tune and then pay him to fix? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help man.

'Going through them' is utterly meaningless in terms of troubleshooting your problem.

Take pictures of your sets of plugs and make sure that you keep them in order from the cylinder they came from. Post the pictures up and someone might have some suggestions.

Lemosley01, Sorry about the botched description, it was the best way I could think to describe the issue.

I posted a diagram and description of the last set I pulled out and when I get back tomorrow, I will pull the plugs and post up some pics of them all.

Last edited:

fiveohfanatic

ITS STOCK I SWEAR
Established Member
It it was the tune I would think that ALL your plugs would look the same. Sounds like an electrical gremlin to me, especially with the rough, intermittent problems. Did you change any of your mods?

as far as checking the tune, put a new set of plugs in it and datalog it and see what you come up with, make sure you select the parameter SPARK_ and drive it until the symptoms happen again.

Email the log to your tuner or ask them what to log and go from there.

lodhammerdin

WHPLD03
Established Member
It it was the tune I would think that ALL your plugs would look the same. Sounds like an electrical gremlin to me, especially with the rough, intermittent problems. Did you change any of your mods?

as far as checking the tune, put a new set of plugs in it and datalog it and see what you come up with, make sure you select the parameter SPARK_ and drive it until the symptoms happen again.

Email the log to your tuner or ask them what to log and go from there.

Dam it... Electrical can be expensive... I know there is and issue with my tune because when I push the clutch in sometimes, it dies. I'll pull the plugs tomorrow, take some pics and then go drive it.

I dont have a tuner yet, I bought the car as is pretty much, minust the springs. I'm currently in the Huntsville, AL area, know any good tuners that I should contact?

Also, I know how to do a data log, but how do I save it and transfer it to my comp? I have an SCT Tuner BTW.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
No problems - that is a way better description. Very nice.

That is weird that the opposite plugs look new; are you sure that the wires are to the correct plugs?

What mods on the car? Was it running fine for a while then recently started doing this? Did you make any changes or mess with anything electrical, not matter how trivial.

Are the plugs black and wet, or just black?

I'd think it would be running rich or lean and you'd have a check engine light.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Try and take pics of the plugs. Do you have a multimeter? If so check the resistance of each fuel injector, with the injector connector removed.

KILRSVT

Established Member
what are your mods..perhaps you washed the motor and shorted something...try swapping the coils from one cylider to another to elimiante them to see if its in the coils or not.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Pics, and a leak down, compression test sounds about right to me. Try cleaning your MAF, Just eliminate what you can, essecially the easier things. I would also say the tune, but I imagine if you just tuned it,you would have said that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread