Car misses under load, coil pack?

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
I'm in the Army so my 03 doesnt get driven too often, my dad backs it out of the garage once a week and let's it run for an hr. Still has a full tank of gas from when I was home in dec if that tells you anything. So I went to drive it finally. At an idle the car sounds fine but as soon as you engage the clutch and start to move up to about 2800 she's def got a cylinder on the drivers side missing and fluttering out of the exhaust. Over 3K she's smooth and doesn't seem to have an issue but as soon as you shift and the rpm dropped below 2800 it's back. I pulled one plug on the drivers side and it looks ok. I haven't changed the Plugs since 2008 and with 2 tunes and 14k mi so I'm gunna go ahead and change them. I have been doing a lot of research on the coil packs and I have found a lot of guys with having one go bad here and there. It doesn't seem like an injector to me, no miss at an idle and about 1/3 throttle, just enough to bring boost in a little it's seems strong and fine. I got a used set of OEM coil packs off of a guy on eBay with 30 some thousand mi and I'm gunna try switching them out. Anyone know how to properly TS coil pack. Y'all think there is anything else I need to look into? I appreciate any advice from those who have had like issues and if anyone had a coil pack go out on them. Thank you!

Last edited:

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Sounds like plugs or COP to me. Could be old/bad gas as mentioned above too. Also, that's horrible to let your car idle for a hour once a week like that. Heats up the exhaust valves, these cars have enough heating, guide, and head issues as it is. Just put sta-bil in it and let it sleep. Your dad is doing far more harm then good. I promise, let it sit for a year ... It will crank right up like you drove it yesterday. Been playing with these cars for 20 years, and up here in Ohio we let them sleep for a long time. Sometimes years.

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Because you mentioned the DRIVER's side (bank 2), I'm gonna try and save you a heck of a lot of money by suggesting this:

1. Remove your EGR and clean it real good with carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner spray.

2. Get a datalog of the upstream O2 sensors to determine if any of them are fouled. If you can get a datalog of the rears as well, please do so and post them on here.

I just went through a whole slew of stuff and it was identical to yours.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/936712-asking-some-return-help.html

Start with cleaning the EGR, but remember to unplug your battery to reset the PCM/ECU (step on the brake pedal to discharge any current left in the system) while you do this.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
High Compression: You have a very good point, thank you, I will talk to him about letting it sit while I'm deployed this time.

Last edited:

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
Because you mentioned the DRIVER's side (bank 2), I'm gonna try and save you a heck of a lot of money by suggesting this:

1. Remove your EGR and clean it real good with carb cleaner or throttle body cleaner spray.

2. Get a datalog of the upstream O2 sensors to determine if any of them are fouled. If you can get a datalog of the rears as well, please do so and post them on here.

I just went through a whole slew of stuff and it was identical to yours.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/936712-asking-some-return-help.html

Start with cleaning the EGR, but remember to unplug your battery to reset the PCM/ECU (step on the brake pedal to discharge any current left in the system) while you do this.

When the headers were installed, I normally do all my own work but I let exhaust up to the pros, the EGR system was removed. I know that's not affecting it. I am familiar with O2 readings, any place special you recommend to have it done or just strap it back down on the dyno? What did you find out was the prob with your cobra was?

Last edited:

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
UPDATE: I changed my plugs (all looked good) and all 8 coil packs. Car runs perfect now, I don't think it was a plug, Im thinking coil pack. I tested ohms on all 8 that came off of the car and ohms reading were nearly identical readings. Problems solved either way! :)

hotcobra03

Established Member
UPDATE: I changed my plugs (all looked good) and all 8 coil packs. Car runs perfect now, I don't think it was a plug, Im thinking coil pack. I tested ohms on all 8 that came off of the car and ohms reading were nearly identical readings. Problems solved either way! :)

whos coils did you put in and how much did you pay..they arent cheap..i searched and seen ford racing oem were the best price for a set of 8..

also seen under 100 on ebay for china coils and stock plug sets..

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
whos coils did you put in and how much did you pay..they arent cheap..i searched and seen ford racing oem were the best price for a set of 8..

also seen under 100 on ebay for china coils and stock plug sets..

I got them off of a guy on eBay, I would have to go back and look up his user name. They aren't reproductions, they were OEM coil packs from his wrecked Cobra that had 30k and some odd miles on them. I paid $120 shipped for the set of 8. Ford wanted over $100 per brand new, can't afford that lol.

Users who are viewing this thread