Car Overheated Fan wiring harness connector melted

Brands5.0

Established Member
This moringing on my way to work my car over heated i noticed it in time by the ac blowing hot air. Low and behold my fan was not running. by magic i touched the connector and the fan came to life. When i got to the office i unpluged the connector from the wiring harness to the fan and it was stuck really good once i got it to brake free i could tell on of the connections was melted. Called for and the only way to fix it seems to be a new wiring harness. Any one have any fixes that dont involve replacing everything.

Thank you
Brandon

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Either the fan is going bad and it's drawing too much amperage or you have a short somewhere in the wiring. Might want to try to track down the culprit before you start throwing parts at it. FYI, you can buy just the wiring pigtails from a Ford Dealer.

CPRsm

Trim the wiring and add spade connectors at the end. That should keep you from buying a new harness. The fan getting old can cause too much amperage pull. A bad ground can problems also. The weird part is why no fuse blew before the wires burnt. That's how stuff burns to the ground. A weak link must pop before the wiring gets that hot.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Trim the wiring and add spade connectors at the end. That should keep you from buying a new harness. The fan getting old can cause too much amperage pull. A bad ground can problems also. The weird part is why no fuse blew before the wires burnt. That's how stuff burns to the ground. A weak link must pop before the wiring gets that hot.

I don't know why some type of fuse doesn't pop either, I know his issue because my 95 Cobra did the same thing a few times, ended up being a bad CCRM. I actually saw the wire glowing red, ready to catch fire and no fuse popped.

Brands5.0

Established Member
The reason mine melted is because it was never fully plugged in all the way. The plug wasn't clipped on so over the years I guess it was always arcing and it just melted

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
you can try this list, I'm not sure if you need to be a member for you to see the attachment linked below

Pig Tail Chart

Users who are viewing this thread