Car paint question

wreckit

Established Member
Tried finding a proper spot for this question but seems as if this is the only place i can ask.
A few weeks back i was browsing through the terminator Buy/sell section, just to see what is being sold, pricing, etc..
Ran across a black cobra that had a paint job which water would bead off it!!
This instantly grabbed my attention. But, i was at work at the time and had something come up which i closed out of the forum.
I have yet to find the same posting and really would like to know what paint coating this owner had on his vehicle.

If anyone has an idea what it could be i would greatly appreciate the help!!
his car was black and after the coating it still remained the same color. but really glossy.

oldmodman

Established Member
Have you attempted to go through the F/S Terminator section to find the ad? They don't vanish if the car gets sold.

But as to something that really makes a black car "shine" It's not just the top coating. The surface has to be perfected first.

Most black paint look awful if not slavishly cared for. Start with a decontamination wash with a special "soap" that removes iron contamination. Then use a clay bar or similar product to remove bonded contaminants.

This will give you the correct starting place from which to polish. Most ignored finishes will require a two stage correction to get rid of most swirls, fine scratches, and marring. Then you can use either a wax or a coating

like Cquartz or similar product. Either method will give you a super slick, mirror like surface. The treatment will last much longer than the wax, but it is sometime difficult to apply and costs many times more for the product.

wreckit

Established Member
Yes ive attempted to search back for days now. have not been lucky yet.
Thanks for the information. Ive ordered clay bars etc. as I plan to fine detail my car once weather permits.

As far as the detailing, this was an actual paint applied, or type of surfaces that cost 2k i believe. It not a detailing procedure. He actually took it to a paint and body place and had the coating professional applied.

Once Im back on day shift i will go to Maaco paint and body and ask them if they know what it may have been.
Thanks for the information on detailing!! greatly appreciated.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like Opticoat or similar product, they will bead water up very nicely. But so does a proper paint recovery and wax/finish/seal whatever its called.

08mojo

Established Member
Sounds like Opticoat or similar product, they will bead water up very nicely. But so does a proper paint recovery and wax/finish/seal whatever its called.

Yup. This was after a minor paint correction and wax:
12115722_10206619422100804_5026101396897564588_n_zpsmjjaozay.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread