Car pulling slightly to right even after alignment / Common?

venams03

Established Member
I took my car to 3 independent garages years ago claiming they could do an alignment. 2 out of 3 didn't have the correct equipment after getting it up on the lift (lasers couldn't get low enough and front chin splitter etc. interfered with the Hunter equipment). Finally got the 3rd shop to go it and they placed the alignment lasers on the outside of the rim with 3 clamps.. OUCH!!! the guy promised it wouldn't gouge my Trueforged rims and they didn't. BUUTTTTT... first ride out of the shop and the car pulled to the right! I took back and the guy swore up and down that it was dead on to specs and what I was experiencing was the car pulling because of the "CROWN" in the road. BS!! Like I don't know what that is. I told him it pulled steadily to the right no matter what road I was driving on including completely FLAT freshly paved roads. If it pulls to the right, it PULLS! Anyway I've been just dealing with it but it's so annoying and I don't trust any of the shops around here.

I'm also hoping that the other 2 shops didn't improperly jack the car up on the suspension etc. and bent something? That's a possibility I've been pondering but how the hell would I be able to identify and/or correct that?

leroyt10

Established Member
Swap the 2 front tires and see if it still pulls to the right. If it does its an alignment issue. If it doesn't or pulls left could be a tire issue. Ask also to see the alignment print out that most modern machines have.

SirShaun

Established Member
It's all that power. Torque Steer. I'm just trolling. I'm not sure.

How hard does it pull? Barely or oh shit ditch?

venams03

Established Member
Great idea to swap the tires but I can't. Nitto 555s are uni-directional

It pulls but not enough to put you in a ditch right after letting go. It will however steer into ditch if you don't correct. Just enough pul to be completely annoying :(

fullboogie

Established Member
I've been told by multiple alignment shops that all alignment specs on all cars have a slight right bias. The purpose is to cause the car to wander onto the shoulder of the road as opposed to wandering into oncoming traffic. Every car I've had with a new alignment has a very slight right bias.

WCA

Established Member
Swap the 2 front tires and see if it still pulls to the right. If it does its an alignment issue. If it doesn't or pulls left could be a tire issue. Ask also to see the alignment print out that most modern machines have.

^ this

You can switch them just for testing.

leroyt10

Established Member
My 2011 pulls right in sport mode, but not with full nanny on.

Ford Had a TSB to address nibble and pull issues on some 2011 Mustangs Built before 8/2/2010. TSB 10-16-4. It involves Reprogramming the EPAS Module. If after the tire swap it still pulls this might help. Also may improve the pull above in sport mode. The usual complaint is steering wheel nibble but, the reprogramming above really helps feel too.

finally03gt

Established Member
Ford Had a TSB to address nibble and pull issues on some 2011 Mustangs Built before 8/2/2010. TSB 10-16-4. It involves Reprogramming the EPAS Module. If after the tire swap it still pulls this might help. Also may improve the pull above in sport mode. The usual complaint is steering wheel nibble but, the reprogramming above really helps feel too.

It's going to Ford in a week and a half for the dreaded 1-2 grind. I'll have them look into that too. Thanks for the heads up.

WCA

Established Member
Yes. If your car isn't lowered, a floor jack from the front on the crossmember under the engine. If lowered, two floor jacks under the jack points on each side.

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
You can swap the tires from side to side and that will let you know if you have radial pull. It could be just the car is riding on a different part of the tire due to the alignment change. I worked for a pretty big shop and did all the alignments for 3 years and I can tell you I've seen more pull issues from tires than alignments. Even if the car was out of spec.

Last edited:

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Find an open/flat area of a 2-lane road. Get in the opposing lane and once straight, let go of the steering wheel. If the car still pulls to the right (up the crown), you have a problem. If the car doesn't pull right, I suspect it is just the crown in the road steering you right.

venams03

Established Member
Find an open/flat area of a 2-lane road. Get in the opposing lane and once straight, let go of the steering wheel. If the car still pulls to the right (up the crown), you have a problem. If the car doesn't pull right, I suspect it is just the crown in the road steering you right.

Did this and it Definitely pulls to the right (up the crown)

sb04gt

Established Member
I've been told by multiple alignment shops that all alignment specs on all cars have a slight right bias. The purpose is to cause the car to wander onto the shoulder of the road as opposed to wandering into oncoming traffic. Every car I've had with a new alignment has a very slight right bias.

This^

I have a buddy that sets alignments up to pull slightly to the right. If the driver of the vehical happens to fall asleep or a medical condition deems the driver unconscious, the vehical will pull toward the shoulder instead of oncoming traffic.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Since the car is pulling up the crown from the left lane, I'd say you have a problem. It could be a bad tire, but more likely the alignment is off.

venams03

Established Member

I have an '08 so I think this fix is a moot point for me?

Users who are viewing this thread