Car runs weird with a/c on

dvtr-

Established Member
When idling the a/c compressor(i think) cycles on and off. When it does the rpms go from ~800 to 400 almost stalling. Why does this happen? Ive gotten a new iac and cleaned my maf. The iac is good because if i start the car with it unplugged the car stalls immediately. Do i need a new ac compressor/clutch? Can anyone here help me? This has been driving me nuts.

Blueline

Established Member
You ac compressor maybe going bad and locking up. So when the clutch engages it's really putting a drag on the belt slowing everything down.

Blueline

Established Member
I just went through this on my daily driver. My ac compressor stopped cycling on the way home. Checked freon etc, all was good. I jumped the switch to kick the compressor on and when it tried to engage the compressor the car would about stall if I didnt disconnect it. I swapped out the ac compressor and it was bad, seizing up. Hopefully its not your issue cause its pricey.

You should notice a slight drop at idle when the ac compressor kicks on, but not that drastic. Maybe give it sometime since you just replaced the IAC. Try resetting by disconnecting the battery and see if it relearns and fixes the idle drop.

LGHTEMUP

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
like he said check the voltage from the battery..or try to roll up both windows at the same time if car stalls out its a alternator or battery issue not an a/c issue had the same thing with mine put a new alternator and battery and was good..

dvtr-

Established Member
It cant be the battery/alternator. Just recently replaced both. Reading 13.5-14v. I'll replace the compressor soon and let your guys know if it helped.

03slaminator

Established Member
I'm not trying to thread jack here. But I have no ac right now either. It blows hot. And when I kick my ac on my car idles higher when I'm just sitting in one spot. I need to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread