Car Shipping

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
I'm positive this has been asked before, however, I couldn't find anything in the quick search I did.

Has anyone ever shipped a car before? Your experience with it? Can anyone recommend a good, reliable shipping company?

Thanks,
Mike N.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Twice I've used Intercity Lines, and was completely satisfied with their service.

First time was for my car from Detroit to Boston, and second time was a car from Boston to Atlanta for my brother.

Remember you get what you pay for, open vs enclosed, check the company's reputation, do a search, etc.

intercity had great communication between the driver and my self for pick up and delivery, gave the car the white glove treatment, etc.

Intercity Lines, Inc.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Nice, thank you very much. I understand you get what you pay for and most quotes I've been getting are all in the same ballpark.

Shipping a vehicle is new to me so I was just looking for some reputable companies others have used. I appreciate the tip. I'll check out Intercity.

Twice I've used Intercity Lines, and was completely satisfied with their service.

First time was for my car from Detroit to Boston, and second time was a car from Boston to Atlanta for my brother.

Remember you get what you pay for, open vs enclosed, check the company's reputation, do a search, etc.

intercity had great communication between the driver and my self for pick up and delivery, gave the car the white glove treatment, etc.

Intercity Lines, Inc.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Deal directly with the driver because you will get a better deal. The brokers just take a cut for setting up the transport.

I have a private guy I used last time and he is out of Hanover PA. PM me if you want his number.

Thanks

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
Yep! This company was awesome..delivered my baby to California without a scratch! A&M Transport..i believe you can google them..They charged I think 1500 to go from Tennessee to San Diego.

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

Last edited:

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
Deal directly with the driver because you will get a better deal. The brokers just take a cut for setting up the transport.

100% the truth!!!! Stay on the lookout for car transport trucks..even if they are by dealerships. You may be able to stop and talk to them and they can give you their card or a buddy's card that will do it for a decent price.

Last edited:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
Checkout Uship.com

You post starting and end locations then company's bid to deliver the car.. You can check refrences easily because each person has a rating on the site.. Some over 2k rated..

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
Thanks everyone for all the tips and info.

It would be getting shipped TO me. A car I may potentially buy. Basically from Atlanta to Philadelphia.

Atlanta? Just a thought- but maybe fly down, check the car out, and make a 1-2 day trip to cruise back with it? Unless it is a ridiculously low mileage collector kind of investment purchase to garage where you don't want to put mileage on it...?

Seriously, if I weren't on pain meds, I would offer my services for hire. Have done the fly out (or train, or bus) plan a number of times myself. The farthest I have gone was out to Denver just a few years ago. Even then, I probably could still do it, I would just add a couple more days to the trip because I would need to take additional rest stops as needed.

Sure, you put miles on the car, and it costs a few dollars for fuel, meals, and maybe a hotel room for a night... but it would be less expensive than getting it shipped. And it is cool to go on the trip and take photos along the way.

It could also potentially save you big dollars if a car with problems is transported to your doorstep.... I would rather pay for a return flight, train, or bus, then pay for a car that shouldn't have been purchased.

Edit: I had a car shipped to me from California around 8-10 years ago. The car was on the top row of the transport, before pulling the car off the trailer, I could see the transmission had a huge crack in the bellhousing and had leaked fluid all over a couple cars below. The paint jobs on the cars below were trashed. The owners of those cars tried to sue me, but ultimately had to sue the transport company because they should have seen that the car had fluid leaking out of it prior to loading it and shouldn't have. In addition to the tranny being toast, the whole car was a piece of garbage, particularly the engine which I was told had just been rebuilt, and the guy had emailed me receipts for the build prior to me buying it. There is but so much you can check a car out without seeing it for yourself, or having someone you trust do the leg work for you. Needless to say, won't get burned like that again- and so I will see in person anything I buy.

Last edited:

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Atlanta? Just a thought- but maybe fly down, check the car out, and make a 1-2 day trip to cruise back with it? Unless it is a ridiculously low mileage collector kind of investment purchase to garage.

Seriously, if I weren't on pain meds, I would offer my services for hire. Have done the fly out (or train, or bus) plan a number of times myself. The farthest I have gone was out to Denver just a few years ago. Even then, I probably could still do it, I would just add a couple more days to the trip because I would need to take additional rest stops as needed.

Sure, you put miles on the car, and it costs a few dollars for fuel, meals, and maybe a hotel room for a night... but it would be less expensive than getting it shipped. And it is cool to go on the trip and take photos along the way.

It could also potentially save you big dollars if a car with problems is transported to your doorstep....

I totally hear what you're saying and going to Atlanta and driving it back it certainly an option. I was just going to price out shipping just in case.

The hard part about going to get the car is that I need the title in my hands in order to register the car and get insurance for it. Then I could take a plate with me to Atlanta and drive it back legally.

The issue with that is I would need to pay for the car and have the seller send me the title (sight unseen). I just don't know that I want to do that.

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
I totally hear what you're saying and going to Atlanta and driving it back it certainly an option. I was just going to price out shipping just in case.

The hard part about going to get the car is that I need the title in my hands in order to register the car and get insurance for it. Then I could take a plate with me to Atlanta and drive it back legally.

The issue with that is I would need to pay for the car and have the seller send me the title (sight unseen). I just don't know that I want to do that.

If the car is currently tagged, maybe the seller will allow you to drive it back with the current tags?

I have done the "borrowed tags" trick many times. Did it with the car I just bought from someone in Fairfax, VA. I got home and put his tags in an envelope back to him that same afternoon. I also did it for the Terminated 97 Cobra I drove back from Denver.

With all that said, it might even be worth it to book a round trip to see the car and swing the deal. You will see specials to and from Atlanta for cheap- especially on off hours. Get back and get a temp tag to transport it back to you. Go back down a 2nd time to drive it back.

Last edited:

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
If the car is currently tagged, maybe the seller will allow you to drive it back with the current tags?

I have done the "borrowed tags" trick many times. Did it with the car I just bought from someone in Fairfax, VA. I got home and put his tags in an envelope back to him that same afternoon. I also did it for the Terminated 97 Cobra I drove back from Denver.

With all that said, it might even be worth it to book a round trip to see the car and swing the deal. You will see specials to and from Atlanta for cheap- especially on off hours. Get back and get a temp tag to transport it back to you. Go back down a 2nd time to drive it back.

There are definitely options, and I did contemplate going back twice like you said. I just want to get as much information (like rates) and all that good stuff before I do anything.

I appreciate all the feedback and help so far. Maybe I just need to find a car closer to home. :)

Users who are viewing this thread