Car shut off, many codes, after HID install

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
So today I finally got around to installing my HIDs. I have 35W 6K in both the headlights and the fog lights. Headlights have a relay while fogs do not. Same EXACT setup I had on my 01 Cobra for about a year and a half. So after driving about 30 highway miles, I was messing with the high beams, which I had previously done with no problems, when suddenly the car gets all luggy as if it had gone into limp mode, but, there was no power in any gear. So I pulled over into a gas station to assess the situation. The car idled down to about 500 RPM where I then shut it off. I pulled out my code reader, and the video here shows all of those codes. After a few minutes of deciding to call a tow truck or not as I was 25 miles from home, I just cranked it and it fired right up and drove home as if nothing had happened. So I am going to assume I did something wrong when installing the HIDs that I've done 2 other times on other New Edges the same way without any problems. I doubt that it is just coincidence that all of this came up at once because then I bet I have some expensive things to replace all at once. Anyway here is the video, any help or ideas or whatever would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The car even went as far as to throw a P1260 theft detected vehicle immobilized code. Its all circuit lows and highs for the most part.

04 cobra random codes - YouTube

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Wow thats alot..something says you wired it wrong ..

What manual do you have to follow?

Our site has a link for it..

If it were me I would write down all codes and go through wiring of these components. .they will cross where problem is..I enjoy codes the most on this site...they are really very easy to figure out

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
I didn't follow any manual. I didn't touch a piece of the car's wiring. Except plugging the relay into the drivers side headlight connector. I think the issue is related to the grounds I chose for the relays. Since the codes were all electrical. Car has been driving fine since. I am going to fix the grounds later today. The grounds I chose were the radiator support screws under the black radiator cover. They are a little rusty. I'm going to clean them off and scrape the paint off and hopefully that prevents this from happening again.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I didn't follow any manual. I didn't touch a piece of the car's wiring. Except plugging the relay into the drivers side headlight connector. I think the issue is related to the grounds I chose for the relays. Since the codes were all electrical. Car has been driving fine since. I am going to fix the grounds later today. The grounds I chose were the radiator support screws under the black radiator cover. They are a little rusty. I'm going to clean them off and scrape the paint off and hopefully that prevents this from happening again.

All codes are electrical. ..

Were these lights new or used?

What was the wire color you tapped into on headlamp connector?

Thinking on my cobra. Ive had ground and power issuses make things go nuts..

Each time problem was in area of battery..dirty terminals..aftermarket terminals dirty under clamp for cable..ground eyelid on radiator support by battery split..ground bolt on engine block snapped..

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
On the connector I did what a quick google search on a 9007 diagram would yield. New from DDM like all the ones I buy.

hotcobra03

Established Member
On the connector I did what a quick google search on a 9007 diagram would yield. New from DDM like all the ones I buy.

Looking at 9007 diagram..my vote is when working on dribers headlamp you bumped into g102 or g103..those are the 2 leeds from battery negative to radiator support..

I recall mine going nuts when that 1 ground eyelid broke..I was driving also..car just went crazy..codes also. Even po1260

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
Hmm I'll check it out. I just put one ground on one of the green screws and the other on the prop rod base. Before I did this the car threw a CEL more random codes. Let's see if it does it again with these seemingly better grounds. My fog lights didn't work when I plugged them in but then I flipped the connector and they fired right up. I read the sometimes they get wired reversed for some stupid reason.

Users who are viewing this thread