Car wont hook on street idea's svt?

Svtguy3106

Established Member
Guys this is my set up I am running a 2.8h behomoth on e85 making over 700 in both categories. 6 speed car Pully set up 3.25 upper and 4lb lower around 24lbs of boost on e85. Suspension is HR sport springs thats all still stock IRS with supporting mods. I am running 315/40/17 MT DR at about 25lbs of air.

Now I expected the car to be a handful in 1st gear but car even at 40 punch in 2nd gear it likes to blow them off and I have to pedal it top of second and into third which is killing me when I am racing someone fast. Some of my buddies are telling me to go to hoosiers do you guys think it will help? Are hoosier better than MT DR's Any other ideas will be helpful

Thanks,

50q's

Established Member
You need a good coilover set up meant to transfer weight.hr springs imo are not good for getting power to the ground.

SNK-BITE

Established Member
Lakewood drag shocks/struts would be a good start. You are asking alot out of an otherwise near stock suspension and those hr sports are'nt doing you any favors traction wise. All things aside with 700 across the board your going to be hard pressed getting it to stick on the street without 2 midgets in the trunk spraying vht on the tires through a secret hole in the fenders

evolve

Established Member
When you find out, please let us know! It is one of those things man. See what everyone else runs and try to mimic that setup. It will not be easy.

LETHAL03COBRA

Established Member
Lakewood drag shocks/struts would be a good start. You are asking alot out of an otherwise near stock suspension and those hr sports are'nt doing you any favors traction wise. All things aside with 700 across the board your going to be hard pressed getting it to stick on the street without 2 midgets in the trunk spraying vht on the tires through a secret hole in the fenders

Thats funny!!!:D

Svtguy3106

Established Member
At this point the midgets in the trunk is a viable option thanks for the responses guys shocks and struts seems like a good move. The h and r's where fine a 480 rwhp lol

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I have always preferred the Hoosier 335 because they ball up like the M/T does, and they have always hooked like a mofo. You need to lower your air pressure about 8-10lbs though when racing. Start there before buying new tires.

Svtguy3106

Established Member
"bad cobra" what kind of set up are you running (suspension) and how is it on the street. Looks like your making big numbers also can you get it down somewhat?

SNK-BITE

Established Member
At this point the midgets in the trunk is a viable option thanks for the responses guys shocks and struts seems like a good move. The h and r's where fine a 480 rwhp lol

With facotry shock/strut set up they are meant to keep the car balanced at all four wheels. With a drag set up their sole purpose in life is to get the weight off the front and onto the rear tires. At your power level thats your only option for traction.

I have always preferred the Hoosier 335 because they ball up like the M/T does, and they have always hooked like a mofo. You need to lower your air pressure about 8-10lbs though when racing. Start there before buying new tires.

+1 Dont piss away money on tire till you get your suspension to where it needs to be. Once you get your weight to transfer dialing in the air pressure is just as important. Start at 20psi and work down in increments of 3PSI till you get it right.

Last edited:

RussZTT

Established Member
With that power your complaining that your car isn't hooking on street tires? Duh? Your best bet is the Hoosier DR's. From what I hear and read, the IRS isn't fond of 15" wheels. Go for the DR's.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
"bad cobra" what kind of set up are you running (suspension) and how is it on the street. Looks like your making big numbers also can you get it down somewhat?
WAY back in the day I ran a ported eaton on 20lbs boost with a 200 shot, and I had it hooked up on a button. Bone stock suspension BTW. When I'd spray that 200 shot at 3500RPM, the car dyno'd about 900 ft/lbs of torque and the only way I could get it to hold on the street was with the Hoosier. With the turbos my car does not spool until very late and I have full drag race suspension now, but with the hoosiers I get very minimal tire spin top of first gear and zero spin in 2nd, 3rd or 4th. In my personal opinion, they are superior over all the other 17" drag radials and I would not ever think of running another tire.

hoosier1.jpg

tmkr03

Established Member
M&H 325/45/17

I started running these last year. Makes a world of difference. I have 3.73 gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

RussZTT

Established Member
WAY back in the day I ran a ported eaton on 20lbs boost with a 200 shot, and I had it hooked up on a button. Bone stock suspension BTW. When I'd spray that 200 shot at 3500RPM, the car dyno'd about 900 ft/lbs of torque and the only way I could get it to hold on the street was with the Hoosier. With the turbos my car does not spool until very late and I have full drag race suspension now, but with the hoosiers I get very minimal tire spin top of first gear and zero spin in 2nd, 3rd or 4th. In my personal opinion, they are superior over all the other 17" drag radials and I would not ever think of running another tire.

hoosier1.jpg
Yup:beer:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
On the street with his power, he needs more than suspension. He needs tires.

No one said he didnt need tire, What was said was it is pointless to piss a way money on tires when he has a 90% stock suspension. I dont care how much tire you have on the back, if your car is not set up properly they wont stick. Throwing a big set of sticky tires on may help him some but in the end it will just be a bandaid and his car will never perform to its peak or how he wants it.

MGC

Established Member
With a big power street car like this you need a good suspension, drag radial with as much side wall as you like and as tall as you can go, proper contact patch makes a much better hooking tire than just simply as wide as you can go. my 275 hoosiers on a 10" wide rim hooks harder than a 335 on a 12" rim. 3.27's will also help alot, get some heat in the tires and make sure they are at the proper psi and you should be able to hook pretty good

Users who are viewing this thread