Car wont start, acting strange

HasteTheDay

Established Member
Quick backstory, about a month ago my car randomly stopped starting.

Started by changing out the starter which didn't help and eventually for kicks and giggles, changed out the battery and terminals. The car started right up no problem. BUT, every time I would start the car, it would make a strange "tsh tsh tsh" sound as it cranked, but the car idled fine. So about a month later (now) my car doesnt start again. I was able to rock the car back and forth in gear and start the car, but it only ran for a second before dying, followed by a strange metal spinning sound which went away when I let the clutch out. I tried starting it again with no luck. Any ideas what is going on? I'm thinking something in the trans is messed up.

2004 GT
Bone stock motor 140k miles
Vortech V2 Intercooled

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Sounds like your alternator is shot. That would explain just about everything but the metal wizzing sound. When you put the fresh battery in, the car was running off the charge the battery had. Sounds like the alternator was going out when you put the new battery in, and you were able to squeeze another month of life out of it, but since the alternator isn't recharging the battery, the car died when the battery died.

Replace the alternator and check back with us. Get the car running, and then we can try to diagnose the metal noises.

HasteTheDay

Established Member
Should've came back with an update, I'll look into the alternator as well.

My buddy and I got it started by push starting it today, got it to idle after fighting it a couple times. Man, it's running like a bag of dog shit. Idk what happened over night from it running perfectly fine to not starting the next day and then to how it runs now. There's what sounds like mad backfires and pops in the engine, barely wants to stay alive. Saw some vapor coming out of the drivers side breather filter. Why would it randomly start running like complete crap? Could it be that the fuel rail pressure sensor went bad?

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Hmm.... could be a pressure sensor. Any codes being thrown? Can you run a diagnostics on a handheld or anything?

HasteTheDay

Established Member
At this point I don't want to start the car without trying the pressure sensor. What would I be looking for with the handheld?

Kline12

Bagged and Terminated.
Established Member
Any codes the car might be throwing. If you can get the diagnostics read, the codes might tell you what the issue is.

HasteTheDay

Established Member
Another update. Tested the fuel pressure sensor by pulling the vac line, smelled a faint smell of fuel in the line. Still cant get the car to start on its own so we tried push starting it. No luck. But this time it threw a code, P0139 fuel pressure sensor circuit high.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Are you sure that code is correct? because everything I see on P0139 is an O2 sensor problem.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Sounds like you aren't getting any fuel. Check all your wiring, and make sure there isn't any damage to the wires.

From there try replacing the fuel rail pressure sensor and fuel filter. If it still doesn't work, then it may be a bad fuel pump.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Also, check your fuses before replacing anything else. That would be an easy fix if its just a bad fuse.

HasteTheDay

Established Member
I can hear the pump priming, its a 340lph so it's a noticeable sound, so I dont think thats the issue, haven't checked fuses but that's a good idea. I replaced the fuel pressure sensor and there was a bit of fuel that came out so fuel is getting to the rails.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I can hear the pump priming, its a 340lph so it's a noticeable sound, so I dont think thats the issue, haven't checked fuses but that's a good idea. I replaced the fuel pressure sensor and there was a bit of fuel that came out so fuel is getting to the rails.

Have you checked your fuel filter? when was the last time it was changed?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Which is another thing to look into. May be something wrong with your injectors, or the wiring leading to them.

Users who are viewing this thread