Car wont start, acting strange

HasteTheDay

Established Member
Okay I'll look into those fuses. It's just super weird that my car ran perfectly fine one night, then the next day it wouldn't start and then now after sitting for a week this happens.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Have you tried having someone spray starting fluid in the intake while you crank it? If it starts with that then you have narrowed it down to a fuel problem.

On a side note... My son's 03 GT had an issue with not starting here and there this past fall. I replaced the fuel pump driver module and it's been starting correctly ever since.

HasteTheDay

Established Member
Nah haven't tried that. I don't think it's a fuel problem, I think it's electrical because like I keep saying, the starter isn't engaging the flywheel. It's a brand new starter and battery/terminals. Alternator is stock with 140k+ miles. So maybe that. FPDM is also newish within the last year or so.

HasteTheDay

Established Member
Where are the grounds I should check? Maybe I need to double check them. My buddy keeps telling me to check the grounds again.

Sluggie24

Established Member
I somehow missed that it wasn't actually cranking. Sorry. So you turn the key but nothing happens? Have you checked the clutch engagement switch at the clutch pedal?

The clutch switch can be bypassed by disconnecting it and putting a jumper wire in the connector.

HasteTheDay

Established Member
No worries, Nah haven't checked it. Where exactly is it? Behind the pedal near the top?

Also, the only noise I get when I try to start it is the starter solenoid. Just sounds like an electric motor.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Wait so the starter spins? If the starter spins but doesn't kick out the gear then the starter is bad assuming good ground to the engine/starter and good power to the starter.

Was there corrosion on any of the starter wires?

Sluggie24

Established Member
The clutch sensor is right by the pedal under the dash. You will see it if you look under there. If the starter spins when clutch is pushed and key is turned however the switch isn't the problem.

Sluggie24

Established Member
Make sure the main ground for the engine/starter is good. This can be done easily with a multimeter by checking resistance between the block and the negative battery post. It should be close to zero ohms.

If the starter spins fast when turning the key the ground is probably good though and it's probably just a bad starter.

McLuvin01

Established Member
I had similar symptoms when putting my pile back together. Would turn over if it was in the mood but most times not all. When it did fire up it ran like garbage and wouldn't idle unless you held the rpm's up. I found a loose ground strap on the passenger side rite behind the radiator. When I touched it relays inside the CCRM started clicking. Tightened it and the engine ran like a top. Hope this helps

Kyle Trammell

Established Member
2 ideas i can think of...

make sure your emergency shut off switch isnt switched or damaged.

also i had a similar issue last week.
it wouldnt start. and it was literally a fuse in the driver side fuse box under the steering wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread