Car won't start - NEED HELP FAST

03 black gt

Established Member
Well I went out to my car today (I am a college student and park in a stuent parking lot) and it would not start. The first time I turned the key it started and then immediately died. When I tried to start it again the car would turn over (battery isn't dead), but it wouldn't start! I have a full tank of gas and no idea what is wrong?

Also, I saw the theft dummy light on the dash blinking and I have never seen it blink before. Could this have something to do with it? Nothing looks stolen and I have a viper alarm on the car.

I need the help fast because I have to move my car by tomorrow night because we have a football game and we have to move our cars to a different lot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For those who don't know I have a 03 GT with a 2.1 KB on it and never had any problems like this before.

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
two different scenarios I see..

1. Fuel shut off switch, I don't know what its like on your GT, but I know on the Cobra I have a fuel shut off, that is for in case of an accident and shuts off your fuel pump, and theres a red button you simply push to reset it

2. Your fuel pump and/or fuel filter went out on you. This can happen suddenly without any warning, and what happens is that itll crank the first time, and then it will die on you (its basically sucking the fumes of gasoline in your line until its dry). Either your fuel pump died, or your fuel filter got clogged and put strain on your pump and then it died.

Thats what I come up with, to check if its your fuel pump, when you turn your key to the 'on' position, you should hear a little click in your gas tank, that would be your fuel pump turning on and pressurizing..if you can't hear this..then im 99% sure its your fuel pump.

So I suggest listening for the click in the gas tank and if you hear it, then idk

good luck on it though!

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
two different scenarios I see..
Thats what I come up with, to check if its your fuel pump, when you turn your key to the 'on' position, you should hear a little click in your gas tank, that would be your fuel pump turning on and pressurizing..if you can't hear this..then im 99% sure its your fuel pump.

My fuel pump makes like a high pitch whine noise when I turn the car to the 'On' position. It's definitely distinguishable as the fuel pump coming on.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
This happened to me once or twice a while ago and it seemed to be because I hit the gas as I started my car. I cried like a girl and my friend came over and was like nah it's fine.. He turned the key and let it crank for like 20 seconds and it finally started right up. We shut it off and started it a few times and it was perfect. I hope that helps because I really really thought that my car was fakt.

Juruense

Banned
Take a long handled screwdriver and smack the IAC a couple times. If this works replace the IAC as soon as possible.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Exact same thing happened to me. First check under the hood fuses, it will be a 30amp green fuse, thats what was blown on mine, i replaced it and then it started.

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
first listen to your pump, no noise, check a fuse, if the fuse is good, then I say replace the pump.

If the IAC is bad I would think it would start, just idle like pure crap, but can't I say I have ever had one go except on a BMW and they still run, just like shat

But like the others say, start iwth the fuel pump

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
The fact that the theft light is flashing would lead me to believe that the anti theft is not happy with your key. If you have a spare I'd try that also.

03 black gt

Established Member
I'm going to try the spare right now... if that doesn't work then I'm getting it towed to a ford dealership and hopefully they can help

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Funny how every person gives him a different answer. My theft crap also has prevented me from starting the car a few times. I inserted the key and jiggled it a few times and took it out and repeated for a good few minutes and then it was fine. That's happened to me 2 or 3 times spread out over the last few years of having this car and the previous owner said the only problem he ever had with the car was that the theftlock prevented him from starting it once, so he got it towed to the SVT dealer and it started up perfectly the first time they tried it. Could be just one of those things.

Last edited:

03 black gt

Established Member
FIGURED IT OUT!!!!

Thank you all for the PATS idea, I tried the spare key and it worked perfectly, started right up! I guess the viper alarm was tripped and my key got deactivated or something.

Now the deal is what do I do with the key that didn't work, and can I get another replacement?

Also, how do I prevent this from happening again to my spare? Will it be fine if I just lock my doors and don't activate the Viper alarm?

chromeyellow98

Established Member
take your 1 good key to the dealership and get another one made so u dont have onkly 1 key, its like40 bucks

Users who are viewing this thread