careless driving ticket in nj

jean

Established Member
Got a ticket for carless driving in Bayonne .?????????????do nothing (rental car with Georgia license plate)at NJT
Have to go 4 times before get dismissed,officer never show up.
The 3rd time ask the judge to be dismissed:
"seat down" You Want to go to jail"
Lucky for me i know a divorce lawyer in Deal who help the 4th time.
Still i don't get this carless driving in nj.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Jeff, I have noticed that you have an obsession with donuts. Is there a particular brand or type of donut you prefer?

FlTireGuy

Established Member
Damn SVTFan.. they just closed 3 Krispy Kremes in the Tampa area, what are you guys gonna do?? (lucky for you the Brandon one is still there..LOL)

USBlueStage2

Established Member
Take unsafe driving - it is a $250 fine plus court costs - so you are looking at about $400 for the first offense. There is no insurance surcharge and no points. How do I know? I have pleaded guilty to this offense twice (both times in response to a careless driving charge in my Roush ;-) )

No sweat, just have to buck up the coin.

Spoyldrotn

SVT Poster
Established Member
Unsafe Operation of Motor Vehicle (N.J.S. 39:4-97.2) is a surchargeable offense ($250) thanks to former Gov. McGreevey. He got the surcharge enacted (June 2004) because of all the plea bargaining when trying to help out violators a little in court with moving violations. Anyone who pleaded guilty before the 2004 bill did not receive the surcharge. The surcharge is collected, by the court, after sentencing. That's why people are unaware they have paid a surcharge. They believe they are only paying a high fine.

Apparently, he felt that the plea bargaining was not producing enough money for the state, so he figured he'd take the officer and prosecutor's discretion away when the matter came to court during plea bargaining. Just another flawed way of trying to fix our state's screwed up budget woes. It was not that way in the beginning........McGreedy changed all that.

Here's the part that hurts the worst. It goes on your Driver's Abstract and your insurance company can find out about it and jack your rates. My suggestion would be to try and plead it down to a cellphone violation (39:4-97.3) or possibly some local traffic ordinance. That way no surcharge, no points, high fine. However, ultimately, it will all depend on the prosecutor and officer's willingness to help you out. Good luck.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
FlTireGuy said:
Damn SVTFan.. they just closed 3 Krispy Kremes in the Tampa area, what are you guys gonna do?? (lucky for you the Brandon one is still there..LOL)

I love watching people dash across three lanes of traffic when the "HOT" sign goes on. :lol1:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
hahaha!!!
jean said:
Got a ticket for carless driving in Bayonne .?????????????do nothing (rental car with Georgia license plate)at NJT
Have to go 4 times before get dismissed,officer never show up.
The 3rd time ask the judge to be dismissed:
"seat down" You Want to go to jail"
Lucky for me i know a divorce lawyer in Deal who help the 4th time.
Still i don't get this carless driving in nj.

Jman

Established Member
u think i'd be able to ask em for another violation as u suggested?
i don't think they'd wanna drop that and gimme a cellphone ticket can they?
if thats the case i'd gladly trade that one in for a couple bs tickets...

USBlueStage2

Established Member
Here is the actual law, in addition to the fine, there is a surcharge of $250. So, as I stated above, you are looking at about $400. Note, this is not an "insurance surcharge," which is charged by insurance companies for three years when you accumulate a certain amount of points. It is a fine.

Moreover, the law expressly states that no points will be assessed, therefore your insurance rate cannot be increased by law:

39:4-97.2. Driving or operating a motor vehicle in an unsafe manner; endangering persons or property; fines; surcharges

a. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, it shall be unlawful for any person to drive or operate a motor vehicle in an unsafe manner likely to endanger a person or property.

b. A person convicted of a first offense under subsection a. shall be subject to a fine of not less than $50.00 or more than $150.00 and shall not be assessed any motor vehicle penalty points pursuant to section 1 of P.L.1982, c. 43 (C.39:5-30.5).

c. A person convicted of a second offense under subsection a. shall be subject to a fine of not less than $100.00 or more than $250.00 and shall not be assessed any motor vehicle penalty points pursuant to section 1 of P.L.1982, c. 43 (C.39:5-30.5).

d. A person convicted of a third or subsequent offense under subsection a. shall be subject to a fine of not less than $200.00 or more than $500.00 and shall be assessed motor vehicle penalty points pursuant to section 1 of P.L.1982, c. 43 (C.39:5-30.5).

e. An offense committed under this section that occurs more than five years after the prior offense shall not be considered a subsequent offense for the purpose of assessing motor vehicle penalty points under subsection d. of this section.

f. In addition to any fine, fee or other charge imposed pursuant to law, the court shall assess a person convicted of an offense under subsection a. of this section a surcharge of $250 which shall be collected by the court and distributed to the Division of Revenue in the Department of the Treasury as a New Jersey Merit Rating Plan surcharge pursuant to subparagraph (a) of paragraph (2) of subsection b. of section 6 of P.L.1983, c. 65 (C.17:29A-35).

CREDIT(S)

L.2000, c. 75, § 1, eff. July 24, 2000. Amended by L.2004, c. 69, § 1, eff. July 1, 2004.

Moreover, if you read the legislative history of the law, the purpose is to avoid point offenses that trigger higher insurance premiums.

Jman

Established Member
now what if i use the recall of the throttle sticking as an excuse?
i am due to bring it in to the dealer and fix that thing with the recall issue....
if i show em that, the recall, and the invoice showing the fixing.....
wouldn't that be enough to help me out....... would dismissing be too much?

danman765432

Established Member
Well I just got a careless driving by one of the cops too in NJ. I was just wondering if you guys think I go to court if they will drop it, this is my first offense. The thing I did was a fishtail in a big parking lot, not by anyone and the cop said i was doing donuts though and he gave me an extra seatbelt ticket for no reason at all. I dont think he saw what i did and he just heard it. Should I plead Guilty or Not Guilty? All i want to do is get rid of the pts and i dont care about the fines.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread