Carpet

BMCGC

Established Member
My 97 seatbelt webbing was worn and frayed to the point that it would not go into the retractor.

I pulled a mint set of seatbelts out of a new edge.

The new edge belts mount differently and leave a large gap in the carpet.

I want to replace the carpet.

Whats the better option:

1. Salvage yard new edge carpet.

2. Aftermarket carpet.

BMCGC

Established Member
I have been looking for the correct belts for 6 months, all I have found are in poor condition.

BMCGC

Established Member
Actually I should address the entire interior.

This is a vert and by the looks of things it spent many days with the top down.

Im planning on pulling the leather seat covers and replacing them with cloth, new carpet, painting the trim panels, I have a very nice JY steering wheel, but its gray and also needs painting.

The door panels are in fair condition, but those are also getting difficult to find in nice condition. If only someone would repop them.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I can attest to the LMR mass black. It's very very good quality, better than stock imo.

bigmoose

Established Member
Don't even consider a junk yard carpet. I have an LMR mass black as well. Honestly I wish I went without the mass black. The mass black does not confirm as well to the car as the normal carpet. Noise isn't an issue for me since I always drive with the top down anyway.

BMCGC

Established Member
Don't even consider a junk yard carpet. I have an LMR mass black as well. Honestly I wish I went without the mass black. The mass black does not confirm as well to the car as the normal carpet. Noise isn't an issue for me since I always drive with the top down anyway.

I have refurbished JY carpet many times with excellent results. There are still 02-03-04 low mileage Mustangs in JYs with pretty nice interiors. OEM is the best fit and finish. I drag it home, vacuum it, spray shout on soiled areas, then pressure wash it with tide. Comes out like new. If I want it black I stuff it in a big plastic trash can and use fabric dye from Walmart, 3 bottles for 3/4 can of water. Let it soak for 15 min, then hang it on a chain link fence to dry.

My only issue with JY carpet is it was a great idea when I was low income. Now that $200 for carpet is not an issue, I dont really care for the labor to get the JY carpet out and the work to get it ready to install.

Ran into a snag tonight. I have had the car in storage all month. Got it out this afternoon and the top will not work. I pulled the console and it is an issue with the e-brake ground. Hopefully contact cleaner will solve that issue.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Yeah if you are going to paint the interior pull EVERYTHING, disassemble it as far as it will go and clean the shit out of it with mineral spirits multiple times. Then you will want the prep spray, multiple good coats with a GOOD legit interior dye and then multiple coats of clear. Its labor intensive... and honestly if you are looking for not black or charcoal the interiors out there are a dime a dozen for the other colors, even in good shape.

Carpet... i'd refurbish stock if you can as was described a few posts above. I've had the LMR ACC carpet and it fits OK... but some of the crinkles never came out and the quality is not as good. OEM will go right in like a glove and pulling from a low mileage car is still not an issue at least it should not be.

Steering wheel? Just get a FR500 style from LMR. Or get on ebay or multiple forum classifieds or FB group classifieds and find the color you need. Or get a Redline re-cover and call it good. Painting a steering wheel is gonna just end up looking like shit when it starts to rub off and get everywhere.

Also for seat belts, they should not be hard to get if you post up a wanted ad on FB group classifieds or here or look on CL. Especially tan/peanut butter ones. I found a black set in like 2 seconds that way and black is a lot harder to find in good shape still.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Actually I should address the entire interior.

This is a vert and by the looks of things it spent many days with the top down.

Im planning on pulling the leather seat covers and replacing them with cloth, new carpet, painting the trim panels, I have a very nice JY steering wheel, but its gray and also needs painting.

The door panels are in fair condition, but those are also getting difficult to find in nice condition. If only someone would repop them.
Don’t go cloth. They have a pleather type of material now that is really nice. It’s what I had the seats in my 95 done with. Better than vinyl and not the pain in the ass to keep up like leather. If I can avoid it I will never have cloth in my cars again.

I also used the seat foam from the 04 model year so I could get the extra bolster on the sides. They were hard to find new I paid 150 a seat for new foam.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
You mean like a TMI vinyl re-upholster kit with foams? Did that myself too, came out great. But... won't hold up nearly as well as leather will. Leather isn't really that hard to keep up, just apply conditioner to it and go.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You mean like a TMI vinyl re-upholster kit with foams? Did that myself too, came out great. But... won't hold up nearly as well as leather will. Leather isn't really that hard to keep up, just apply conditioner to it and go.
No I did not use TMI for this. It is not vinyl at all like I said. And leather in Texas is a pain in the ass even if you keep it up it will start to crack and split.

BMCGC

Established Member
Of course I didnt get near as far as I wanted to this weekend.

I bought this car off ebay from Elvis Motors in Memphis, and yes the guys name is Elvis. It appears that it had several owners the past few years. Elvis put a Maaco paint job on it and a set of turbo muffs and put it on ebay. 165k, I drove it home with the rear end growling like a mama bear after her cub gets spanked by a camper.

So far I put a Mach 1 rear end with 3.55s, tubular control arms, 03 Cobra wheels, lowered the rear, not the front, waiting on my helper, and put a naked decklid on.

The interior is pretty sun baked, but can be saved. I found a very nice wheel That I will repaint the correct Saddle color to replace my nasty wheel.

I couldnt save the carpet, I think my attempt to clean it only reconstituted years of dried bong water. I ordered new carpet and hope it shows up by the weekend.

The Sony radio was wired through the Mach460 system. It looked like Medusas hair behind the radio. I pulled that mess and cut out about 3/4 of the added wiring, works fine and is much cleaner.

I found a complete set of 03GT parchment seats in mint condition, Im thinking about buying those for now.

Of course the tops of my door panels are in poor condition, I havent found a decent set to replace them yet.

Attachments

• Naked Interior.jpg
    Naked Interior.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

BMCGC

Established Member
BTW, in my pic: The wiring harness on the driver side rear floorboard. Does it lay flat on the floorboard, or stand up against the sill?

Despite the interior cosmetics, it runs well and is unmolested. Im happy to refurbish vs fixing someone elses project gone wrong.

96GT226410

Established Member
BTW, in my pic: The wiring harness on the driver side rear floorboard. Does it lay flat on the floorboard, or stand up against the sill?

Despite the interior cosmetics, it runs well and is unmolested. Im happy to refurbish vs fixing someone elses project gone wrong.
I'm going to pull my carpet within the next week or two to check for a short somewhere in my wire harness. I'll take a look then. Did you remove any wire under the center console before you took that picture?

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread