Carrier Force Reduction - CVN-72 might not be refuelled

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
There is an article on page 10 of the September edition of the Naval Institute Proceedings entitled:

"Carrier Force Reduction: Bad Idea"

The Obama administration wants to save billions by not refuelling the USS Abraham Lincoln when the time comes in a couple of years, thus reducing the carrier force to 10 units. The article goes on to explain why that is a bad move considering only part of the carrier force is available at any one time due to overhauls, in port, transit etc, hence reducing the number of available units. With North Korea and Iran acting up, Pakistan a powder keg, and China harrassing US shipping and building up their own forces, is this a wise move while the USA is fighting a war in Afghanistan?

Is this history repeating itself? Democrats in power - tearing apart the US military? Is Obama and his circus going to strip the US Armed forces and weaken the country and make it vulnerable all the while pursuing appeasement foreign policies, snubbing traditional allies and cuddling up to dictators like Chavez and Castro?

Your thoughts on the stupidity of letting a relatively young carrier be decommissioned? Considering it takes years to re-activate a carrier and it's aircrew.

Your thoughts on the current administration's handling of things military?

IH8GM

Not so New SVT Poster
Established Member
BREAKING NEWS = Democrats reduce military republicans increase

as far as the de-commissioning of the carrier it does suck if it happens. I would like to know when it would actually have to be refueled maybe it can make it 3 more years.

n.korea and iran have been acting up for years but that's all it has been acting don't expect much from them.
I would like to see this administration cut ties with Israel since we are screwing them over. they would be free to annihilate iran.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member

as far as the de-commissioning of the carrier it does suck if it happens. I would like to know when it would actually have to be refueled maybe it can make it 3 more years.

n.korea and iran have been acting up for years but that's all it has been acting don't expect much from them.
I would like to see this administration cut ties with Israel since we are screwing them over. they would be free to annihilate iran.

it's not just a matter of waiting to refuel it a couple more years (it's already scheduled to be refueled in 2013) but the long lead items need to be bought now.. if they aren't.. you can forget the scheduled refueling in 2013...

hammerhead2

Established Member
Seeing as how the carriers are one of our largest deterants to foriegn powers acting aginst us, and that we use them for a little bit of everything, I don't see this as being a wise plan. Not to mention it is still a pretty young carrier. I understand trying to save money where we can but this does not seem to be the way to do it IMO.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

I dont think we should cut ties at all, but loosen the chains most deffinately. Israel could and should bomb the **** out of Iran's nuclear facilities, just as they did against Iraq in the 80's.

Reducing our forces is a very bad idea, particularly when you are fighting a war in two different countries and are fighting many unknown wars all throughout the world. Having the ability of rapid response decreases considerably when you reduce carriers. And with shit all over the world from the Philippines to the pirates off the coast of Somalia its just a blatant bad idea. The budget cuts to the military are felt all over. I had a couple schools this year cancelled due to lack of funds, one of them being Pathfinder school damnit!

Users who are viewing this thread