Carroll Shelby Bold Moves

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
that's a very cool vid...

his reference to dying was kinda sad...

One thing though; does anybody think that Ford actually used any of Shelby's input on this car as Hau stated?

Ryan02Stang

Established Member
dgussin1 said:

One thing though; does anybody think that Ford actually used any of Shelby's input on this car as Hau stated?

Yeah...it was Shelby's decision to put 285 tires in the rear.

stang22

Established Member
dgussin1 said:

One thing though; does anybody think that Ford actually used any of Shelby's input on this car as Hau stated?[/QUOTE]
If they(ford) did let Carroll build it his way,...you'd have a car that would still kick the cr#p out of the vette & zo6,....it maybe alot more money that the current shelby,...but trust me it would win!! That's just the kind of man he is,...I love it!!!! :beer:

chuckstang

Established Member
the 285's are still not enough
bring on the 315's!!!!!!!!
Those will fit right?????
It will be a very sad day when he passes, I cant even picture it.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
chuck...street tires are street tires are street tires. I don't care if they're 345's they're still gonna spin in 1st gears. Switch to a softer compound tire to get the best results. When I had 275 BFG drags they hooked way better than the 315 nittos I have now. I am picking up some new BFG's tomorrow.

tvguy

Ryan02Stang said:
Yeah...it was Shelby's decision to put 285 tires in the rear.

Sorry but he's there for his name and ONLY his name. EVERY engineer working on this car has FORGOTTEN more about automobiles than Shelby EVER knew from an engineering standpoint. If they don't then Ford REALLY sucks. He's using his name, NOT his knowledge. He had an agreement with Ford obviously, but only to hype/sell this car. I don't believe for a second Shelby made a single decision about this vehicle, whether it be 285's out back or whatever. To put Shelby in the same category as the designers/engineers of this car is a joke. Ford needed his "input" on this car like a hole in their head.
pacotaco

Bluedot_26

This Space For Rent
Established Member
pacotaco said:
Sorry but he's there for his name and ONLY his name.

Of course ... it's all marketing spin, but so what ... Like Coletti said in the MM&FF interview, mustang owners are rabidly passionate about their cars. While the true enthusiast knows the love/hate relationship Shelby had with Ford back in "the day", shoving a shot of Shelby adrenaline into the veins of the modern muscle car movement, considering the upcoming competition was a brilliant (bold) move. Why not capitalize on that? and at the same time give a guy who's let Ford faithful have some glory moments in muscle car history feel some love.

On the other hand, small problem with Hau and all the "we" statements concerning the legacy / success of the mustang ... dude needs to pay some more dues IMO.

RKANYZ

Established Member
pacotaco said:
Ford needed his "input" on this car like a hole in their head.
pacotaco
yeah because the ac cobras and the earlier shelbys were so lame. say what you want about his engineering but the man knows how to put together a car that excites people and performs on the track and the streets. I for one wish ford would have tapped him for his input, the new shelby is ok but it's nothing to bow down to. if you have to pay for the name you should get the performance to go with it and in todays playing field it's not holding up.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
dgussin1 said:
chuck...street tires are street tires are street tires. I don't care if they're 345's they're still gonna spin in 1st gears. Switch to a softer compound tire to get the best results. When I had 275 BFG drags they hooked way better than the 315 nittos I have now. I am picking up some new BFG's tomorrow.
IMO 305 Nittos would be the ticket on the Shelby.

chuckstang

Established Member
on a 9.5 wide tire, 315 nittos should fit no problem right? I see many have them on their stock term wheels which are 9 inch wide
I agree though, all street tires suck and I never understand why people pay so much for them when they should buy some dr's

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
chuckstang said:
on a 9.5 wide tire, 315 nittos should fit no problem right? I see many have them on their stock term wheels which are 9 inch wide
I agree though, all street tires suck and I never understand why people pay so much for them when they should buy some dr's
They don't make a 315 for an 18" wheel...555-R CHART

rangerob

[IMG]http://i40.photobuck
Established Member
chuckstang said:

It would fit, but would not be safe. A 315mm tire is not ment to be fitted to a 9.5in rim, its ment to be fitted to a 11in rim.

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
rangerob said:
It would fit, but would not be safe. A 315mm tire is not ment to be fitted to a 9.5in rim, its ment to be fitted to a 11in rim.

People run that combo all day long with the stock '03-'04 Cobra wheels. I used to and never had a problem. I am running them on 10.5" rims now with no problem. I wouldn't really say it is unsafe imho.

jtfx6552

Established Member
pacotaco said:
Sorry but he's there for his name and ONLY his name. EVERY engineer working on this car has FORGOTTEN more about automobiles than Shelby EVER knew from an engineering standpoint. If they don't then Ford REALLY sucks. He's using his name, NOT his knowledge. He had an agreement with Ford obviously, but only to hype/sell this car. I don't believe for a second Shelby made a single decision about this vehicle, whether it be 285's out back or whatever. To put Shelby in the same category as the designers/engineers of this car is a joke. Ford needed his "input" on this car like a hole in their head.
pacotaco

I think you have it backwards. If Shelby had any input into the design, the car wouldn't weigh 3900 lbs.

While I agree Shelby, at this stage of his life, shouldn't be doing nuts and bolts detail design, I'd still, from a program management stand point, put his knowledge above anyone who worked on the current GT500 or Ford GT.

To win the 24 hour of Lemans, against the best of the world, is no small accomplishment. True is it was 40 years ago, but who at Ford has accomplished the feat since, even once? Remember the GT 40's did it 4 times.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Wow!! All I can say is WOW!!! :eek:

That was about all I could say as well. You know what they say, ignorance is bliss.

As far has his parting comments...they weren't sad they were empowering. It makes me proud to see him where he is now, at 83 with the kind of health problems he has had I could only wish to be out doing doughnuts in a 500 HP muscle car when I am his age.

He is a good man, a great mind when it comes to these cars, and was a great help to this project despite what anyone says.
If you don't believe that then you don't need to be wasting your money owning one of his cars, or our time on this forum; in other words move over for the rest of us who respect the man and whose spirit will live on forever in the rest of us when he does pass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread