Carroll Shelby says 700HP with pully change

Fourcam330

Established Member
rphinney said:
I think the argument was that the pulley swap may be a little more challenging than the 03/04.

BTW Knowing Ford if you think they are going to have 700 HP cars running around with warranties on them you are either retarded or on crack. It makes perfect sense that they would limit the changes that could be made.

If you swap pulleys and expect to retain warranty, or if you believe you won't be able to modify the pulley size on a GT500, then you're a ****ing moron. ;-) That would be an unprecedented first in the sports/muscle car arena, and though I can understand how that might save warranty claims, it would absolutely kill sales to enthusiasts. Wouldn't do much for Ford's performance image if they were the only brand on the market to do something like this in these times either.

Last edited:

Fourcam330

Established Member
JB said:
maybe I missed something...I don't see anyone disputing its potential, just the mechanics of doing it :shrug:

It was a statement, not a reply, notice that I didn't quote anyone? :shrug:

Fourcam330

Established Member
rphinney said:
All I have seen is articles claiming the heads are "derived" from the GT design, no mention of lower internals or Cams being replicas of the GT version.

Let go of the "derived" part already, you posted the same shit months ago. Everyone knows they're GT heads, or did you think Ford would design and emissions certify a more poorly performing head design just for the GT500?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
It was a statement, not a reply, notice that I didn't quote anyone? :shrug:

yeah, I figured that...not sure why I asked

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
I can think of two ways to speed up the blower without putting much thought into it.

1: Change the snout of the blower out to a machined aftermarket one that has clearance for a smaller pulley

2: A ring that will adapt to the stock pulley to make it larger.

I'll bet that with my brothers help, we can come up with about 8 more ways too.

Just like the idiot proof theorum. You make it idiot proof, they make a better idiot. You make it hot rodder proof, hot rodders will get better.

Jpjr

Established Member
The GT 500 motor will be superior to the Terminator motor in every way, and I guarantee there are guys lurking around here that will find a way to exploit that difference even more.

I do not disagree however, that it will be much harder to do so. I could definitely see Ford going out of their way to make it more difficult for warranty purposes, as well as to at least attempt to keep the GT 500 behind the GT at the drag strip.

No matter how hard it is though, it will still be easier than getting more power out of a Z06.

chuckstang

Established Member
Hmmmm
Here is my concern...Why buy a new gt500 if it can not make more power then a "pullied" 03/04?
anotherwords, I understand that stock for stock, the gt500 will make more power, but almost everyone I know with an 03/04 makes about 500 rwhp so if one can not swap pullies on this new motor, then 500 seems like tops for the new gt500 as well.
I would rather buy the car with more "potential"

rphinney

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
Let go of the "derived" part already, you posted the same shit months ago. Everyone knows they're GT heads, or did you think Ford would design and emissions certify a more poorly performing head design just for the GT500?

Tell Ford to let go of the derived part already, all I asked was for a press release or something stating they where the same heads.

Months ago you where spouting how Ford was going to deliver a twin screw Mustang for under 40K. What happened? :shrug:

You where also saying apulley swap and tune would yield 700 RWHP. What happened? :shrug:

Or am I to sit here and think that you are going to argue that a roots blower with less cam behind it than the GT motor will still run in the 700RWHP range.
Obviously this motor will fall short of the potential the GT motor has, and I havent seen a GT put down in the 650-700 range.

rphinney

Established Member
Jpjr said:
No matter how hard it is though, it will still be easier than getting more power out of a Z06.

Yeah your right, a Cam swap in the LS7 wouldnt be able to make 550 or so at the rear wheels. :rollseyes

How about a nice 150 shot so it could go Forced induction vs. Forced induction with the Ford. That will make in the 600 REAR WHEEL range without any tuning even. All in a package that weighs 700 pounds less than the GT500, Damn Z06 will be like rocket science to mod. :rollseyes

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Benaa said:
I can think of two ways to speed up the blower without putting much thought into it.

1: Change the snout of the blower out to a machined aftermarket one that has clearance for a smaller pulley

2: A ring that will adapt to the stock pulley to make it larger.

I'll bet that with my brothers help, we can come up with about 8 more ways too.

Just like the idiot proof theorum. You make it idiot proof, they make a better idiot. You make it hot rodder proof, hot rodders will get better.
Why would you want to make the stock pulley larger?

Fourcam330

Established Member
rphinney said:
Tell Ford to let go of the derived part already, all I asked was for a press release or something stating they where the same heads.

Months ago you where spouting how Ford was going to deliver a twin screw Mustang for under 40K. What happened? :shrug:

You where also saying apulley swap and tune would yield 700 RWHP. What happened? :shrug:

Or am I to sit here and think that you are going to argue that a roots blower with less cam behind it than the GT motor will still run in the 700RWHP range.
Obviously this motor will fall short of the potential the GT motor has, and I havent seen a GT put down in the 650-700 range.

The press release you cited was older than dirt, you were corrected about it months ago. The decision to use a roots blower instead of a twin screw was on the fly by Ford, back when I said what I did, it was accurate.
When you swap a 2.3L whipple onto a GT500 motor, it will have no problem making 700rw and be blower limited at this point as many 03/04 Cobras are. I've already stated that the roots will be tapped at ~600-625rw.
Believe it or not there aren't a whole lot of GT owners that crave more HP, and those that do are still waiting on pulleys. If you truly don't believe they can make that kind of power but an 03/04 with twin screw can, you might be the dumbest shit in the forum. :lol1:

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
Why would you want to make the stock pulley larger?

I'm sorry, make the drive pulley (crank pulley) larger, would increase boost. Larger drive or smaller driven pulley (blower pulley).

Fourcam330

Established Member
rphinney said:
Yeah your right, a Cam swap in the LS7 wouldnt be able to make 550 or so at the rear wheels. :rollseyes

How about a nice 150 shot so it could go Forced induction vs. Forced induction with the Ford. That will make in the 600 REAR WHEEL range without any tuning even. All in a package that weighs 700 pounds less than the GT500, Damn Z06 will be like rocket science to mod. :rollseyes

It's always easier to add HP/TQ with a forced induction motor than it is N/A you know that, and you could add spray to either car not just the Vette.
Nothing against the new Z06, definitely a great car.

shakerb

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
The press release you cited was older than dirt, you were corrected about it months ago. The decision to use a roots blower instead of a twin screw was on the fly by Ford, back when I said what I did, it was accurate.
When you swap a 2.3L whipple onto a GT500 motor, it will have no problem making 700rw and be blower limited at this point as many 03/04 Cobras are. I've already stated that the roots will be tapped at ~600-625rw.
Believe it or not there aren't a whole lot of GT owners that crave more HP, and those that do are still waiting on pulleys. If you truly don't believe they can make that kind of power but an 03/04 with twin screw can, you might be the dumbest shit in the forum. :lol1:

Investing a few thousand more (a whipple supercharger swap) into what already is a performance bargain to achieve 800+ crank HP is astonishing. Way to go FORD!

broeli

Established Member
Too bad getting it to handle or brake as good as the Z06 won't be so easy..if even possible :(
I still can't believe they are going to bring this thing out weighing almost 2 tons.
What is odd is that the curb weight of the '69 Shelby GT500 is also 3850lbs..coincidence?
The '69 Boss 302 weighed 3250. Imagine if they made an '07 Boss 302 with 400hp n/a aluminum 302, irs, and 3250lbs to compete with the C6 'Vette. THAT would be the Mustang to have :D

rphinney

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:

So show us the information that shows they are the same exact heads used on the GT? All you know how do to is call people names and talk out your ass.

As for your comment about adding nitrous to the GT 500, your right you could put N2O on both. Just as you could put a blower on the LS7 motor and watch it walk the GT 500 like the old man bitch car that it is (would you like some chili with that). The Z06 is running mid 11's naturally aspirated. The GT needs 12 psi of twin screw boost to run mid 11's, how do you possible think a car that is heavier and has a lesser engine and blower is going to be in the same league as the LS7 powered Z06. :kaboom:

Either way, my point is that until we see something IN WRITING that says the heads are the same as that of the Ford GT I wouldn't count on it. Maybe such an article or press release exists if so just point us in that direction. But before you go off calling people grade school names and spouting off HP numbers don't you think you should have concrete evidence to back it up?

After all you are already backpedaling, after what you said while the twin screw was on the car. At this point I'd be surprised if Ford doesnt decide it only needs two wheels and turn it into a motorcycle.

R1Lello

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
People said the same thing about cracking the Black/Spanish Oak Processors, EEC V, etc. As long as there's a market for it, the parts will be there.

:rockon:

Well said, 'stang gearheads' were crying when the carb ended in '85 only to be replaced by fuelie in '86...........and look where we are today. If a car is hot and popular like this new stang, people and the aftermarket will respond, just wait and see. This car will surprise many in the performance arena.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
rphinney said:
The Z06 is running mid 11's naturally aspirated. The GT needs 12 psi of twin screw boost to run mid 11's, how do you possible think a car that is heavier and has a lesser engine and blower is going to be in the same league as the LS7 powered Z06.

FYI the GT has run low 11s in the 1/4 as per a couple of mag roadtests. :read: Yeah it's equipped with FI, but it needs it because of the 100 cube disadvantage it has to the Z.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread