Car's back at the dealership for tranny problems

BPatterson

Established Member
Got really tired of being locked out of second gear on WOT shifts, and figured since the car is still under warranty, and I have a great dealer, I decided to take it down there and see what they could find. A little background on the car, it's already on its second transmission, as the first one went out at 7500 miles. It shifted flawlessly until it locked up in second gear on a 1-2 shift. Dealer replaced the whole tranny under warranty, and the second one sucked. It would never shift under WOT. I did all the upgrades short of a new clutch. Nothing helped.

Well, the dealer just called, and so far, they're replacing the 1-2 synchro. He says they're not done going through it, but that's what they've found so far. I told him if it needs a clutch, to let me know, and I'm going to replace it with an aftermarket set-up. Fingers crossed it doesn't need one, as I'm really not ready to spend the money for a clutch or an install!

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Sounds like a buch of good guys you got. :beer: good luck!

If you don't mind, what do you have done to the trans? I have a Barton shifter and bracket and wanna make sure my dealer guys won't give me hell for it. They're usually pretty good like yours but...

BPatterson

Established Member
Sounds like a buch of good guys you got. :beer: good luck!

If you don't mind, what do you have done to the trans? I have a Barton shifter and bracket and wanna make sure my dealer guys won't give me hell for it. They're usually pretty good like yours but...

Barton shifter and bracket, JHR clutch line, removed the helper spring from the clutch pedal, Motul Dot 5 fluid.

And yes, they're a great bunch down there. Small town dealership.

ViciousJay

Established Member
im betting a few things,

1. Bad Countershaft
2. Did they reuse the clutch in the tranny replacements, if so thats something i would have replaced as well

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Barton shifter and bracket, JHR clutch line, removed the helper spring from the clutch pedal, Motul Dot 5 fluid.

And yes, they're a great bunch down there. Small town dealership.

Thanks! Makes me feel better. I'm done modding until boost comes into play. Then, warranty gone all at once :banana: hope she feels right again!

D.T.R

Established Member
I have the same issue. The transmission runs like brand new during cruising/low RPMs, but once you go WOT, it locks me out of 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I have a barton shifter and bracket. I think I'm going to be bringing it in... I'm just worried they're going to find out about the tune...

D.T.R

Established Member
I'm going to take the shifter and midpipe off just in case...
So that if they dig, all they can find is the tune... which i'm not sure how a tune would break a transmission lol

ViciousJay

Established Member
I'm going to take the shifter and midpipe off just in case...
So that if they dig, all they can find is the tune... which i'm not sure how a tune would break a transmission lol

sneezing in the wrong direction can break a transmission, didnt you know?

D.T.R

Established Member
sneezing in the wrong direction can break a transmission, didnt you know?

Yeah I'm sure when it comes down to the dealer forking out $$ for a new trans, or pulling a ridiculous excuse as to how a tune can break the transmission, they will probably at least TRY to use it. IDK i have a few friends that work at a couple of Ford dealerships, hopefully they can hook me up.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Yeah I'm sure when it comes down to the dealer forking out $$ for a new trans, or pulling a ridiculous excuse as to how a tune can break the transmission, they will probably at least TRY to use it. IDK i have a few friends that work at a couple of Ford dealerships, hopefully they can hook me up.

:rockon:

BPatterson

Established Member

Believe it or not, my dealer never even balked at giving me a new transmission. They inspected it, saw that it was stuck in gear, contacted Ford, and Ford told them to order a new transmission from Dearborn.

NinjaBum

Established Member
I have the same issue. The transmission runs like brand new during cruising/low RPMs, but once you go WOT, it locks me out of 2nd and sometimes 3rd. I have a barton shifter and bracket. I think I'm going to be bringing it in... I'm just worried they're going to find out about the tune...

I noticed a somewhat similar issue with mine. Like you said putzing around it shifts wonderfully. Sometimes under a little more load it feels as if it doesnt want to go into fourth. It will still let me into the gear, but it feels like it doesnt become fully seated in like the other gears. If I ease up and drive casually it feels like any of the others again. I've only noticed full blown lock out once. I know it's out of the ordinary since my ingot didn't do it at all.

kingnut

Established Member

the dealer is getting paid from ford to do it. so as long as they are cool they will do it. i dont see where a tune can be directly linked to a messed up transmission. unless its an auto and they know the shift points have been changed. but they might see it otherwise.

D.T.R

Established Member
Believe it or not, my dealer never even balked at giving me a new transmission. They inspected it, saw that it was stuck in gear, contacted Ford, and Ford told them to order a new transmission from Dearborn.
Yeah, my buddy said that his hook up (the guy at the dealership) most likely won't care about my shifter or midpipe... so I might not even need to do that.
I noticed a somewhat similar issue with mine. Like you said putzing around it shifts wonderfully. Sometimes under a little more load it feels as if it doesnt want to go into fourth. It will still let me into the gear, but it feels like it doesnt become fully seated in like the other gears. If I ease up and drive casually it feels like any of the others again. I've only noticed full blown lock out once. I know it's out of the ordinary since my ingot didn't do it at all.
Yeah man, that's how it started.
the dealer is getting paid from ford to do it. so as long as they are cool they will do it. i dont see where a tune can be directly linked to a messed up transmission. unless its an auto and they know the shift points have been changed. but they might see it otherwise.

^ That's exactly what I'm thinking. It's a manual... so wtf lol

BPatterson

Established Member
Just an update. Everything looked good in the tranny besides the 2nd gear synchro. They're replacing it, and putting in some new fluid, and should have it back tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread