Cars driven before they are "new"?

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
so this guy i was talking to today was telling me about how ford test drives all their cars before they are actually sent out to the dealership. He said they have a special tool that sets the odometer to zero whenever they choose. He said that the cars are test driven to make sure the suspension isnt making noises, and the engine is running properly. Is there any kind of truth here? We were at thanksgiving in kentucy so i just believed it and kept eating...

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
I believe some not all. My buddys 04 comp orange cobra vert came with a certificate from svt stating that his car was used for special testing ect,prior to being sent to the dealer.

Last edited:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
I believe some not all. My buddys 04 comp orange cobra vert came with a certificate from svt stating that his car was used for special testing ect,prior to being sent to the dealer.

i have this certificate as well. :beer:

"xxx number of miles were driven on this vehicle" blah blah blah "to ensure quality" blah, blah blah.

They don't 'reset' odometers to my knowledge. Thats illegal. :read:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
i have this certificate as well. :beer:

"xxx number of miles were driven on this vehicle" blah blah blah "to ensure quality" blah, blah blah.

I got that with my 93 cobra, they've been doing this for a long time..

My car came with 88 miles and was two weeks late for its delivery date to the dealer..

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Odometer on my Z06 upon delivery from Bowling Green.
z06odo.jpg

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
He said they have a special tool that sets the odometer to zero whenever they choose.

Absolutely NOT true. He's full of shit. It is against the law to roll back the numbers on any vehicle, especially at the manufacture.

Every single vehicle IS roll & static tested in the plant to verify the powertrain and electronics are all functioning properly. Then every vehicle is weighed and driven on the squeak & rattle track.
Some will be chosen at random for QC checks and actually driven on the road to do a more thorough inspection.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Absolutely NOT true. He's full of shit. It is against the law to roll back the numbers on any vehicle, especially at the manufacture.

Every single vehicle IS roll & static tested in the plant to verify the powertrain and electronics are all functioning properly. Then every vehicle is weighed and driven on the squeak & rattle track.
Some will be chosen at random for QC checks and actually driven on the road to do a more thorough inspection.

so how many miles does the car need to be driven before its no longer considered new? 50 miles? 100 miles?

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
It's new til the title transfers. If you buy a "new" car with 3 miles on it, the minute you put it in your name it becomes no longer "new" right?

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
well if the car has 1000 miles on it, cant be sold as new

I'm not sure what the technicalities are but you're not going to see a new car come out of the assembly plant with 1,000 miles on it. I'm sure the dealers however are permitted to put miles on a new vehicle and still sell it as "new".
I'm sure there are limitations.

autumn_again

Established Member
so how many miles does the car need to be driven before its no longer considered new? 50 miles? 100 miles?

as far as i know, as long as its has not been titled, the vehicle is still considered new. just like new 2006's that are still on lots because no one wants the vehicle.

anything from people test driving the cars before they purchase them, to guys at the dealerships moving them around on the lot, putting them on display elsewhere. etc.

its basically impossible to buy a vehicle with 0 miles on it. i haven't heard the full story, but we had a guy come in our dealership demanding a car with 0 miles on it. it took us quite a while ,but we finally found one. could just bs the sales department was feeding us when they talked about it, but i dunno.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Ford did get its ass put in a sling some years ago for giving new cars to employees with the odometers turned off, later connecting them and selling the cars as new. Note again the part about their asses getting put in slings, as this is flagrant fraud and is very illegal.

Users who are viewing this thread